1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football League Thread 2015-16

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Aug 8, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Warnock lined up for Blackburn.

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

So, after spending the season on loan at Sheff Utd, Dean Hammond activated a clause in his loan contract to sign for them permanently.

As soon as the clause was activated, poor Deano was transfer-listed. So on the same day, he signed for, and got transfer listed by Sheffield United ... much to their fans pleasue.

Hammond also on transfer list

"It should be noted that Dean Hammond has decided to activate his option of a permanent Blades contract and George Long has been offered new terms.

Alex Baptiste, David Edgar and Conor Sammon have left the club following their loan deals.

These players have been released:

Mark Howard, Bob Harris, Callum McFadzean, Terry Kennedy, Harrison McGahey, Jay McEveley, Florent Cuvelier, Ryan Flynn, Jose Baxter and Jamal Campbell-Ryce.

Additionally, the following players have been notified that they have been transfer listed:

Kieron Freeman, Kieran Wallace, James Wallace, Dean Hammond, Paul Coutts, Martyn Woolford and Diego De Girolamo."

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.ph....46833/&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitter

3. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Wow, reading through that forum, they really, really hate both Hammond and Adkins.

That's fine, I really, really hate Sheffield United now!!

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Deano! Deano!

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

What do the Sheff Utd crowd know. A fine player and a great captain.

Saints Fan4Life and fatletiss like this.
  6. fatletiss

For that level he was awesome and for us in the Championship too. Not sure how old his now but he didn't look to be struggling with his legs on Tuesday, so a team in league one should be using him to lead them up.

He also can use my spare room if he wants to come to cobblers!

7. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I grew up with the Blades, so when Adkins went I took a look at the local paper to read the reaction. I was rather unprepared for the vitriol they unleashed at Nigel.

As it happens I'm just reading a book called "The Halo Effect" about how our perception of people (and companies and governments) is utterly biased by the results they are achieving, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. However, it's harsh on a man I respect (probably from the halo effect of good performance by the team while he was with us, so I'm being equally irrational).

Vin

8. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Is the The Halo Effect reserved purely for us, or can anyone use it?
    <laugh>

Saint Helen and Onionman like this.
  9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

And good contract negotiator.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  10. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

The Dean Hammond goal against Leeds (our first back in the Championship) is still my favourite from that season. It set the tone and made us all realise that, yes, we can do this.

11. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Can't really blame the Sheff Utd fans for not having the same feeling towards Adkins and Hammond as most Saints fans, its not like either did anything of note in their time there. I thought it at the time when Adkins was here, but I think he has proved it in his time after us, that he isn't the top manager that most Saints fans make him out to be.

12. fran-MLs little camera

That is my most memorable Championship game. I knew we were a good side, but people kept telling me that the Championship was much tougher, but that goal showed it was going to be just the same. :)

Lff likes this.
  13. TheSecondStain

Indeed. It was a good captain's moment as well [Dean Hammond's opening goal]. Just seemed to get the whole campaign off to the right start. To this day I'm genuinely regretful that Deano didn't get to play in the PL with a Saints shirt on his back. If any player earned the right, he did.

14. fatletiss

2 promotions withScunthorpe (to the championship!!) and two consecutive promotions with Saints

Versus

Failure at Reading
    Failure at Sheffield United

Mmmm I think he still has enough to be called a very good manager.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. Saintmagic

Good manager, yes. But I remember when he was sacked from Saints there were people saying how we would come to regret it and he would go on to great things. No doubting the jobs he did with Saints and Scunthorpe, but the Reading and Sheff Utd jobs prove he isn't in that top manager category.

16. fran-MLs little camera

Players sometimes suit clubs and don't do well elsewhere...so why not managers. Nigel did well with a good Saints side...perfect fit.

17. Saintmagic

Yeah he was a great fit. We had Fonte, Ox, Lambert, Puncheon, Lallana, Schneiderlin in Adkins time here, all of whom have had success in the PL so in hindsight we had a ridiculously good side for L1/Championship. Someone with Adkins' positivity would be perfect for a team with that amount of talent, can see why he would come across as incredibly annoying if the team wasn't doing so well, which is probably why Sheff U and Reading fans hate him.

18. TheSecondStain

Yep Agreed.

What makes a top manager anyway if he takes over a team with the best players playing the best football, with the best coaching staff in place.? If he is a leader and can command respect from the beginning then he's off to a great start. But I do I sometimes wonder what these top managers, who have had no experience at all of managing less than the best, would do with a team of relegation fodder. This season we got to see one of them. Benitez had enough cajones to do that very thing, and with very little time to do it in. My respect for him soared for taking on the almost thankless task. But, even he couldn't keep Newcastle up, despite making improvements. Improvements over one Steve McLaren - so that wasn't too difficult to see. Would he have kept them up if he'd had all season.? Yes, imo. Where would they have finished.? Mid-table, I think. Oh, so not top of the league or near it.? No, I don't believe the players were capable of that. So a top manager needs the best players to be the best manager.? It certainly helps. But really the best manager is someone who do everything a top manager can do, but with journeymen or less than the best players, and possibly turn them into world beaters. For me, that's the best manager.

Which means very few managers indeed actually qualify, imo. Brian Clough would be the standout. Turned two **** teams into the best. The first one with zero backing from his board [Derby C], and the second one he got some [Forest]. Alex Ferguson was another. Took an indifferent Aberdeen team and got them to win everything. Then took an indifferent ManU team and made them into the best. Bill Shankly was another, as was Alf Ramsey. Supporters with a far greater knowledge of European football can tell me who I've missed from the truly great managers rather than ones who've never got their hands dirty.

19. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Good post. I suspect Ferguson deserves to be in that list but for year after year Man Utd were the club with all the money so they could afford the best players. What he did with 'the kids' though was clearly impressive.

I'd like to see Mourinho take charge of Port Vale (no disrespect to Port Vale of course), then we'd see how good he is. You have to respect what he did in Portugal but after that, money, money, money!

20. TheSecondStain

Yes, I actually made that year-after-year point about Ferguson myself, but removed it because I was trying to highlight his greatness, and for me that wasn't what made him great. As you say, he had all the money and could afford the best players, from a certain point on. It wasn't that difficult a task.

Yeah, I'd like managers like Mourinho, Guardiola, Simeone, Zidane, etc, to manage some lower league or equivalent teams also. We'd find out how bloody good they were then. Tbf, I think that Simeone might do well with a lower league team. ;)