1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Football League Thread 2015-16

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

That's effectively what he's done.

2. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Think you're being a little harsh.
    Other than Guardiola, all the top managers who have achieved things on a regular basis at the very top of the game will have earned their spurs lower down the pyramid. That's how they got to those jobs in the first place

3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't think anyone really said he was a top, top manager. People were upset he was sacked but I never recalled people saying he was top.

It seems a bit peevish that you are trying to put a downer on him. I don't really get why. A bit out of the blue.

5. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

At the time he was sacked, and before, there were definitely people saying that he would go on to be a top manager, manage England etc. He was a great fit for us, and as easy as it is to say "oh we had a great team anyway" he led us to 2 promotions, which is obviously fantastic.

I'm not trying to put a downer on him either, just saying that people saying that they find it strange that Sheff Utd fans dislike him and Hammond is for obvious reasons, much like why Saints fans really like them.

6. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

Dario Gradi is probably amongst the best managers - for years he kept Crewe playing excellent football with kids, despite losing players for financial reasons year on year. It is one thing keeping teams above their 'status' by playing percentage physical football; it's quite another thing doing so playing attractive 'on the ground' football. No wonder so many future stars came through the academy at Crewe.

Lff likes this.
  7. TheSecondStain

Blimey, I never read anything like that and I read a lot. All I read was that we had behaved ****tily towards him and that he deserved better. Maybe we did and maybe he did, but we got Pinocchio in and he improved us. Then Ronald took it even further.

Nigel was the right manager for Saints at the right time. If we had won L1 and the Championship during our promotion leaps I would be saying perfect, instead of right. But I'm not complaining. I highly doubt he would be either.

fatletiss likes this.
  8. TheSecondStain

9. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Ugh!! Horrible Wimbledon promoted!! Would have preferred Plymouth to advance as that part of the world needs clubs operating at a higher level than they are in order to get the support of the local populace and wider community in that area.

11. The Ides of March

Will be a tall order given the nature of the three teams relegated from the PL. Newcastle and Norwich usually bounce back quickly, not sure about Villa's DNA though!! And can one of the promoted teams from Division 1 make as big an impact as Saints managed in 2011/12?

12. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

13. fatletiss

That's funny!!

14. TheSecondStain

Agreed, though I wouldn't call Wombledon horrible. But I would certainly have preferred Plymouth Argyle.

I could just see myself retiring to Cornwall, near the Devon border [yes, I know I was going on about France and Italy the other week, but this scenario is if I'd stay in GB but move away from Southampton], and occasionally rocking up to Home Park to see the Pilgrims, whilst still keeping the Saints in my heart. And if Plymouth progressed like I'd like them too, perhaps we could see a South-West Coast football club in the PL. Then I could watch the game when the Saints came to put the Pilgrims to the sword, so to speak. ;)

The Ides of March likes this.
  15. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

The Ides of March likes this.
  16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Be a good appointment for them I reckon.

17. fatletiss

I like Garry Monk.

18. The Ides of March

Kriss Akabussi for the Leeds post? He is a good laugh and Leeds United fans need one!! I know he's not a footballer but then do you need to be a footballer to be a manager. Lawrie wasn't but he was a great manager.

19. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I actually do think he was a top manager. I know we were the wealthiest club in the 2 divisions at the time, which helps, but he was successful with Scunthorpe too.

He was doing things in Div One that were new at the time but are now common-place. Potty didn't invent the pressing game, we were already doing it. I'm not saying that he didn't improve on it but essentially we played the same way as we did under Adkins.

I think you are right though, it was because we liked him as a person so much that it was so shocking, plus the timing, i.e. just as results seemed to be turning our way.

20. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member