1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gazzaniga: the verdict?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, May 17, 2015.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

How do you think Gazza is doing...admittedly after only a couple of games. Can he be our first choice until Forster is back? I know what I think from past experience, but how will he ever improve if he isn't played. He has the look of a goalkeeper, can kick well, but I haven't seen enough of him to tell if he is a shot stopper. Luckily with a good defence in front, no Saints keeper has to make too many saves. I suppose it also depends on who we could get to come here as well.

2. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

He didn't have much to do yesterday, and one fumble aside, did what (little) he had to do quite well.

However, not going to form my opinion on the one game. Still think we need a new GK, based on past experiences.

3. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Putting Gazza between the sticks next season would be a major, major risk for me? If we are to be top third, or better we need a top notch keeper to support the back four and a couple of half decent performances where he's had very little to do have proved nothing to me.
    At the moment he's a reasonable back-up with time on his side to improve and grow in stature.

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

In My opinion he was slightly out of position when the ball came across for Villa's headed goal....He was half a step to his left of centre and on the line, he should have been half a step forward and about one to his right of centre. May have given him a chance of saving that goal. I was always taught never to be routed to the spot and be on the move with the cross. As coached by one Bert Williams if anyone remembers him.
    It is easy to criticise what you see as an error especially as I was only looking at the goal through a TV screen.
    I guess I am not convinced he is the guy for the Job, sadly he lacks the experience. A few games that I have seen him play has not convinced me as he still makes too many basic errors especially with his distribution.
    I do except though he has to play to get experience, but with so much riding on his performance, can we afford the luxury of giving him time?

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Personally I don't think anyone, other than the very lucky, was going to stop Benteke's header yesterday. Right in the corner. Incidentally, I thought I saw a suggestion of climbing from him.

As far as Gazza goes, we've had back up keepers in the past who were very capable but never got a game and who fell to bits because of their lack of exposure. On that score I think Gazza did fine. He came off his line and caught a few crosses, despite the attendance of Benteke, and he stopped those shots he had a chance to. Typically, his kicking and throwing distribution was excellent. All he needs is games, in my opinion.

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

He's just about shown enough to stay as third choice (ie second choice up to Xmas). Then a loan would be sensible.

7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Loan him out and we'll get a better idea.

SaintsFan86 and Wally Gog like this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

I think he has done better than I would have thought from past experience. He isn't a liability and, playing in front of a good defence, he could be good enough. However, we must beware of his effect on a defence....they need to feel safe and does he direct the defence as well as Forster or Davis? Doubt it...he needs experience for that. If Forster isn't back for half a season, we should consider getting another keeper.

9. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Loan football has to be the agenda for next season
    I think some teams would have been hesitant to take him after his displays for our first team, but a decent u21 season and nothing too horrendous other than that slice kick so far, I would imagine a league 2 or league 1 side would be willing to give him first team football.

He has the attributes to make it

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Look at what playing first team football has done for Bart. He's looking a good keeper. I agree Gazza should be back up to whoever we buy in the summer, then when fraser is back, loan him out.

Last edited: May 17, 2015

11. fran-MLs little camera

Did double take then....thought Wehnfraser was a Dutch GK on our wishlist. :)

fatletiss likes this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

He's German :)

13. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

The one strength he has is his ball distribution is first class.

14. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Sherwood would describe it as second to none.

15. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Next week he will get tested a fair few times.

16. fran-MLs little camera

Ron said recently that Davis will be in goal against City, so he achieves his 300th. He added that he wanted to see Gazza in a couple of competitive matches (which he has done).

17. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

If Gazzaniga does start playing in front of our defence, Ron may need to explain the basic principle of goalkeeping - staying further back, nearer to our own goal.
    Sorry, Fran, couldn't resist.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I wonder what Gazza would do if some one messed his hair up?

Archers Road likes this.
  19. MIsaints

MIsaints Active Member

If we could combine FF and Gaz it would be nearly perfect. I like the way Gaz comes off his line and he distributes well. FF seems a better stopper.

20. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

He is still young and a lot of keepers seem to get better with age. It must also be harder to get in the starting eleven with only one place up for grabs