1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gazzaniga: the verdict?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, May 17, 2015.

1. Saint Babarussi

Wrong^^^ the best saves are often made when the goalkeeper thinks they have no chance. You have to gamble and throw yourself across and you might just get a finger tip on it. They will have been coached that and if they don't do it in a match that is a flaw in their game.

2. Saint Babarussi

That does sound like I have slammed gazza but I for one am glad he got the chance and think he has done well but I agree that he should be loaned out. It looks like SKD will retire at the end of the season IMO so I would like to see us get Butland and send gazza on loan to the champ. Or keep The holy goalie ;)

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Benteke made a powerful header and out jumped Fonte. Gazza didn't appear to react...but the speed of it all may have made it look worse than it was. Or he's a keeper who loses concentration. Need to see more of him to discover which.

4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Of course if Bertrand had of got back quickly and not left Alderwereild outnumbered on the left, Villa wouldn't have got such a perfect cross in for Benteke in the first place. If we're blaming anyone for Villa's goal, for me it's the left back who went missing (just before half time).

But as we scored 6, who cares?

5. fran-MLs little camera

I suspect it was lack of concentration with the team already in the changing room in their own minds. No excuse when a ball is being whipped in, but goals often occur just before half time for this reason.

6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

1. The Villa game will have given PG a big confidence boast, its a shame he'll be dropped for City, but Kelv has earned that milestone.

7. Saint Babarussi

don't get me wrong I wouldnt expect Gazza to save that and think he played well but he should have gambled and thrown himself over there he might have got a tiny touch that could have kept a clean sheet. It also makes you look better than standing still and watching it go in...

8. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

He should of been following the line of the ball and been on his toes for a leap as I previously said. Whether he would have got to it is speculation. However a goalkeeper should never be routed to the spot.....there is no excuse for this.
    Ask any coach.........

9. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Sounds like Ron was fairly impressed.

“That was what we need to make a decision next season about the goalkeepers and we will make that decision next week, but in general Paulo played on a good level,” he reflected.

“The goals against Leicester – difficult. Aston Villa goal – nothing to do.

“In general, happy about his performance, and he’s still a young one, a young goalkeeper, with some experience – that’s good – and we need three good goalkeepers.”

10. Saint Babarussi

That's what I said... he shouldn't have been routed to the spot. You should always gamble as a keeper...

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I just can't agree with that. Maybe he had gambled and the gamble was that the header was going to his left and as soon as it went to his right he knew he was beat.

I find it incredible that a few people have criticised him for that goal. It was an excellent header that not many keepers would have saved.

12. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Indeed. You'd think they were all practising or ex-professionals, the way they wrote with such authority. I've looked at the goal several times. Perhaps Barrie Allen may have got to it.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. fran-MLs little camera

I suspect he was caught on the wrong foot....he probably thought Fonte was going to win the header. The problem Gazzaniga has is that people have an opinion of him...very hard to change that as they only see what supports their view. We mustn't forget that he has had very little match experience...the problem is that we are no longer the club that can take risks in that department. Koeman sees something...probably because the third GK position can be hard to fill.

14. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

There's no need to find reasons for Gazza not saving that header, Fran. It was superbly accurate into the inner side netting. Very fast, and from just outside the 6 yard area. If it had been within arms reach he probably would not have saved it. But the ball was a full dive away and into the net before Gazza's brain could send a signal to his legs to react. All I can say to doubters is, look at the goal again.
    The lad is far from perfect, but in that instance I attach no criticism to him for not reacting.

fatletiss likes this.
  15. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

We need another keeper who can challenge for Nr.1 spot. Gazza is not confident enough for the defence to trust him. His decision making is suspect IMHO

16. Saint Babarussi

How many times do I have to reiterate that I know he shouldn't or couldn't have saved it but it is not acceptable to stand still and accept that the ball has gone in. I am not saying that Gazza is a bad keeper because all goalkeepers do it it just really frustrates me. I will reiterate again I am happy for gazza to stay as a backup for now with a view to challenging fraser in the future but any goalkeeper who wants to be world class throws themselves at everything and that is how saves you never thought were possible happen.

17. fatletiss

That's my point. You are being unreasonable to criticise a keeper (not necessarily Gazza) for standing still and accepting it's gone in. If it's gone passed him, it's gone passed him.

I don't want to sound rude (though this will), a comment like that just shows little understanding of what can happen in a game. It's so easy to watch from the stands or on the television and say things like, "he could have tried to get that," or "He didn't even move." Things happen in football very quickly on the pitch.

It happens and can be unavoidable at times. This was one of those times.

Bring a world class keeper isn't about throwing yourself at everything. Lots of world class keepers don't throw themselves at everything. There will always be an example where they have and examples where they haven't.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

I'm certain Gazza didn't just give up...it was passed him before he saw it happen. No point in trying a Weetabix save...it was already in.

19. Saint Babarussi

I accept that it looks like that but any goalkeeper coach (of which I am one) will always say to their goalkeepers to dive for anything. I also play in goal (admittedly not at such a high level) and conceding a goal whilst being rooted to the spot is really frustrating and I get really annoyed with myself. I always teach the kids I coach to go for it even if it's right in the top corners anyway.

20. fatletiss

I'm just going to reply to this one again, so you get one of my points. Take your very last line and consider this...

... What if the keeper gambled and was prepared to go to his left (that's where strikers in this instance are told to head the ball - back from the side it came)? His brain has gambled, as you said they should, so it is processing the information telling his body in the next split second you need to launch to your left. Infact consider that his synapses have acted quickly and he has just put his weight in the other direction slightly, ready to take your gamble. And then the ball goes the other way.

Goal. Keeper doesn't move. He gambled. He gambled wrong.

Possible?

TheSecondStain likes this.