1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Election Called to Avoid tory Expenses Scandal Impact?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Whitejock, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I read the following statement on FB (no idea of author), which provided a link to a long running C4 investigation. If you're truly interested in politics, you should have a look. When Jon Snow speaks, you know it's worth listening to.

The reason for calling the GE is obvious and staring us in the face. It is the Tory election fraud scandal 20 MPs have now been reported to CPS. Many of whom are now also being charged with unreasonable and uncooperative conduct, (a slightly lesser version of perverting the course of justice). If these Mps are found guilty the Tories would lose their majority forcing a GE, an election they would probably lose as It would destroy Tory credibility.

Where as if they have the GE before it comes to court it will have no effect on their credibility. Then if those being charged are found guilty it won't effect the newly formed government as those Mps awaiting prosecution will not standing. Then the Toriy PR machine will have 5 whole years to fix the damage.

The only good thing I can see coming out of this is for those of us paying attention. We will know just how much the other parties actually support Tory rule. Those who support the Tories but only stand to create an illusion of choice will remain silent on this . Those who genuinely want government for themselves will be shouting this from the roof tops at every opportunity. As this is a gift from the gods in terms of vote winning for any party that genuinely wants to oust the Tories. Which ever party makes the biggest fuss over this stands the best chance of becoming the new government. Any parties remaining silent will be ensuring another Tory victory.

https://www.channel4.com/news/election-expenses-exposed

2. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

Surely comes back to 'if only we had a credible opposition'? <ok>

ristac likes this.
  3. Whitejock

Seems we have to rely on the press!

4. lifecheshirewhite

Didn't Doc already post this yesterday ?

5. Whitejock

May have done in that Brexit thread that I don't follow. If you're aware, then you've had a day to prepare a statement, as chief tory on here. Yet more tory lawbreaking. Supposed to be tough on law & order. My arse! They don't know what it's like to adhere to the law. Crooks the lot of 'em. Or is that the attraction?

There's been an investigation going on for a couple of years now for a couple of Scottish MPs. SNP kicked them out straight away. A party with scruples.

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Doc did touch on it in the election thread yesterday but politician and bent go hand in hand these days. Dig deep enough and you will just as easily find 20 Labour and even SNP MPs who will have done wrong.

Wash it through the red tops elaborating the bad, ignoring a few facts and they should all be hung in the eyes of the public. Not condoning what these 20 have done but again, Teresa May using her brain and a stroke of genius.

The vote came out in favour of Brexit, every ounce of energy needs to be put towards making it work, making it the best possible deal. As a nation we don't need distractions or politicians on the back benches making it harder than it needs to be, we need to make it work.

Teresa May cleaning her house now is good, a great move. Those 20 MPs might be innocent, they might be guilty, either way May is taking action and ensuring they are removed.

Millwallsteve, OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  7. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Just curious but is there any such thing as na honest politician anywhere or a voter that's not stupid enough to vote for them

8. lifecheshirewhite

I'm honest Eire,but I would like to be a fiddling barsteward coining it in like them.<laugh> :emoticon-0106-cryin

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  9. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I don't vote anymore. I know all our local candidates personally and wouldn't put them in charge of a sweet shop. None of them have an ounce of ability and don't deserve a vote just because there's no one better

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  10. lifecheshirewhite

Yes I know what you mean,have to vote for the one who you think will rob the least.<laugh>

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I mentioned it first thing yesterday and said tories would maybe have up to 18 by elections to fight, so she took the best option and decided to go for a GE.

What is peeing me off today is the amount of air time given to Dim Farron by the BBC. Lets face facts, UKIP got more than twice the number of votes than LibDims, and everyone knows this GE is all about Brexit, so all those 4 million voters will vote UKIP or Conservative not LibDim. Farron is neither Liberal as last nights performance on CH4 news shows where 4 times he refused to say if he thought being gay was a sin. We know hes also not a democrat as he didnt like the referendum result. BBC know their libleft darling Corbyn in toxic so now want to force the fishfinger onto us

Millwallsteve and OLOF like this.
  12. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

I've said this before, but in Oz we have to vote, it's compulsory. Doesn't matter if they stand next door's moggie up, you have to vote or get fined. Where's the sense in that?

13. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

It stops all the gobshytes from spouting that they got the wrong decision, because everyone votes and you get a proper result. They see it as a civic duty to take part in deciding how they are to be run.

14. Whitejock

Missed your post yesterday, Doc. sorry about that.

Just to pick up on a point you make here - why do you say this GE is all about Brexit? We had a Referendum, Article 50 has been triggered, and the tory government have a sizeable majority, andeven the PM said there was absolutely no requirement for a GE - so no need whatsoever of a GE, Brexit-wise, surely? What am I missing?

The conspiracy theorist in me is interested in the OP link I posted, as I firmly believe now that this is ENTIRELY the reason - tory graft being discovered. Whose integrity do you trust most - Jon Snow or anyone in the tory machine? For the good of the country my arse. Strictly for the good of the tory party. If it was for the good of the country, she would have called it earlier instead of saying there was no requirement for it. What has changed? Only 1 thing - the imperilment of the tory majority due to a (possibly growing) number of impending dishonesty charges of tory MPs.

15. Whitejock

Do you really think these MPs will be removed? Absolutely no chance. That would be a very public signal that they are guilty as sin, reflecting badly on the tory party. Just won't happen, even if they already know they're guilty. This GE has been called to try to win more seats before all hell breaks loose in the courts and forces a sizeable number of bye-elections, which would probably become unwinnable due to the scandal.

Stroke of genius? Really? She's dealing in dishonesty accusations here & is showing a complete lack of moral judgement. The SNP has chucked out 2 serving MPs, as they have been under investigation since 2015. They currently stand as independents. A stroke of honesty & integrity. Not qualities you can expect from the tories. Stroke of genius my arse - it's like saying that Genghis Khan's stroke of genius was to slaughter hundreds of thousands of people to further his aims.

16. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

I see the leave campaign now accused of a similar thing <whistle>

Chippy / Glory likes this.