1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Election June 8TH

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Theresa May was so far ahead in the polls....she thought she could take liberties with us old ones to rake a bit of money back....she'll still get in but maybe not with the majority she was hoping for.....she has thrown an helping hand to save the Labour and Lib/Dems parties from extinction.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The flaw in Corbyn's argument is that if you have a bunch of medieval barbarians slaughtering those of every other religious persuasion, stoning to death women who dare to show any signs of independent thought and throwing homosexuals off tall buildings, there must come a time when there is a moral obligation to step in and protect the innocent, even if that does involve some risk to our military and civilians.

Anybody see Diane Abbott shredded by Andrew Marr this morning by quoting back her previous statements on closing down MI5, banning the police DNA database, not proscribing Al Qaeda, support for the IRA etc. Priceless.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Notdistant if you think that bombing somebody elses country is a good thing to do then bugger off out there and get on with the job yourself. Whilst you are at it join the vigilanty brigade on the streets of this country and defend the weak from the nasty people who walk about them at night. I doubt you will do either though. It is not the remit of this country to get involved in conflicts everywhere else no matter how despicable those conflicts might be. We cannot be held responsible for what goes on elsewhere apart from the fact that we probably helped sell them arms in the first place. Typical west really. Sell them the means to kill each other and then object when thats exactly what they do.

My objection to the way they have reacted to Corbyn on this one is that he did not say any such thing about the bombing being their own fault. That is just taking his words totally out of concept. I don't like the man but that just stinks of desperation from where I'm sitting. May has probably given him a chance with some ill thought out policies which the Tories probably thought they could just bung through because there was no oposition. I don't totally disagree with those policies having said that but there are a load of people who probably do. Too late they realise it so now have to start the old smear campaign to try to maintain their gap. They indeed are using the bombing of UK citizens for political advantage far more than their oposition is. As I said before, if there is yet another upset in a vote then they will only have themselves to blame for underestimating people.

I've listened to a fair few politicians over the last couple of weeks and none of them come across as convincing whichever party they belong to. One of the most used statements by all of them is "on the doorstep people are telling me". That's a great big whopper for a start. When was the last time a politician ever knocked on your door and offerred to discuss anything with you? I have had for this election so far 3 leaflets. 2 from the tories and one from labour. Nothing whatsoever from anyone else. I have not seen so much as a whiff of a politician in my area at all let alone on my doorstep. They don't give a monkeys about the plebs at all and the less they can tell us the better. If the Monster Raving Looney party has a candidate in my areas then I'm fecking tempted.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

May/ Corbyn/ Paxman... Debate.

The Election debate with bleddy adverts last night personally muddied the water even more than before.

Paxman is nothing more than a bully (not the interviewer he used to be at the BBC)...not allowing May or Corbyn to answer the question just asked... before asking another question.

He was more rude to Corbyn who kept his cool and performed better than most people expected.....there is no question that he his sincere in his beliefs.

He patiently answered question from the audience and tried to put them into context.... and it came over that he preferred to talk to anyone rather than make enemies of them...which doesn't always sit well with modern politics.

Theresa May spent far to much time defending herself.....and couldn't convince Paxman that she wasn't still a remainer trying to do the will of the people over Brexit.

She had trouble with the audience over her record of government over the last 7 years....and her total failure to get immigration down to a 100,000 a year.

Highly criticized over her plans by the audience for a "Dementia tax".... and means testing the winter fuel allowance...which of course will not happen in Scotland.

She came across as being evasive in her answers.....and you could see why she refuses to debate with opposition leaders face to face.

My view for what it's worth... is how do I vote in the election ?

UKIP's success last year of achieving a Brexit vote and winning it... has made them a party without a cause...other than holding the feet to the fire of whoever negotiates Brexit. Also losing the leadership of Nigel Farage and now being lead by nutter Nuttall has persuaded many that Brexit will best be achieved by a strong Tory vote in June.

Labour is in disarray...with the majority of their present MP's talking of forming a separate Labour party after the election....having a Leader who is sincere in his views but not seen as a national leader and future PM means that Labour will not be picking up to many floating voters.

Lib/Dems have a leader who comes over has a demented hysterical moaner on everyone and everything....and will only succeed in picking up votes from disillusioned voters who don't want to vote Tory or Labour....in other words a wasted vote.

No other party is worth a mention in England.

So as a Brexiteer there is only really one way to vote....and that is for Theresa May....who although is not a genuine Brexit leader is the only chance there is for a passable Brexit result.

Theresa May has in the last few weeks come over as not the strong leader she seemed to be when being elected after taking over from "let me out of here Cameron"....who got us into this mess to earn his £millions elsewhere....and please don't start me on Osborne who now writes scathing column inches on where the Government is going wrong....the worse resident of No 11 for years.

Living in a strong Conservative seat (Orpington) the seat of Boris's little brother.....the alternative for me is stay at home and cut the grass....they'll get in here even without my first ever vote for a Tory.

OH....for a new Political Party that takes into account the millions of voters who don't believe in right wing or left wing politics and want to put being English first for a change.....in the South East of England,... and elsewhere I expect... you feel that you are becoming less of a mainstream person being English....and whilst walking about London at times you are aware that speaking English as a first language doesn't happen....it can be scary at times.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

As a footnote to the above.......

A week and a bit until we vote....and I haven't seen one Poster in a garden or in a window.....no one has knocked on our door canvassing....and no leaflets through our letter box as yet either ?

I assume Boris's little brother is defending his seat here....but other than that I have no idea who else is standing for this seat from any other party.

Totally unreal feeling for a general election....very weird.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I wont be voting unless some one reduces the Corporation tax..:oops: .. for us poor companies.. :rolleyes:

Take it from the rich and give to us poor... or take it from someone.. :kiss:

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Whose going to pay for my winter fuel....I'll have to burn the Christmas tree to stay warm.

8. Greenarmyjoe

The pensioners have plenty of money and dont need this winter fuel cash.. <applause>
    :eek:

9. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

The way it is going I wont live to see my pension so Teresa gets my vote, she would have anyway as the others are completely un-electable. Of course that doesn't mean to say that the great British public wont fall for more idealistic and unaffordable rubbish, and vote for Corbyn. Surely a majority couldn't be so stupid as to vote for something so ridiculous. Oh wait...:emoticon-0104-surpr<yikes>

10. Greenarmyjoe

Yes, no body who is sane can vote for that Clown and what he stands for.. But as you say hang on.. look at the IN or OUT vote.
    The same people who are now voting, voted that? :emoticon-0172-mooni so who can predict the outcome ? i am blue through and through.. but we do need the taxes lowered for us poor companies... ;);).. I suppose its the same people who watch those programmes in the morning Jeremy Kyle.. That was on in a customers house.. what a show.. are those people for real? i never saw it before.. <hug>

11. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If you had asked the question a couple of weeks ago which party was going to do great things in this election there would have only been on winner one people's lips. However a couple of weeks is a long time in politics. I think that Theresa May is doing her damned best to lose this vote as well as the last one. It's quite amazing that most on here appear to be natural tories and cannot even contemplate labour getting in. But even those are now doubting them. I think this is going to be a lot closer than people are thinking.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Real workers Joe don't have time to watch Jeremy Kyle.....they've clocked in by eight.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Don't worry sensible.....UKIP will see her across the line....<whistle>...:D.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Cant see them existing much longer Plym..

Yes, i dont understand May? If labour had a better leader they may have stood a good chance, but they would never get my vote

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Get out of the EU was their aim....other than now making sure that it happens.....mission accomplished...point, set & match.

16. Greenarmyjoe

That was the first big mistake everyone made.. Leaving the EU...

17. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Not everyone Joe, just over a half actually. That's half of the 70% that voted.

I want to know where the £350m a week or whatever it was that we'd save by leaving has gone. Not only will we have to pay a leaving fee measured in billions, it now turns out that the loss of free local medical care for UK citizens living the rest of the EU could cost the NHS £1 billion p.a.

It's clear that if there is a reduction in the UK's net payments to the EU, net of the lost income we get from it, it will be spent where the politicians deem it advantageous i.e. in marginal constituencies. Say goodbye to development funds benefiting the South West and other poorer parts of the country, say goodbye to research grants which will be better spent buying votes in the Midlands and North, say goodbye to farm subsidies.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Come on notDistant stop getting ahead of the game....no money saved until we sign the final deal....still paying vast sums in until that happens.

Can you see the Tories cutting Farm subsidies....that's where the core of their votes come from.

PS....Postman brought two election pamphlets today....UKIP and Lib/Dem....not addressed to either of us personally....like they used to once in the old days.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Most of the people that voted out, now regret it.. They had no idea why they voted out... a protest that was all. :steam:

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's a fake fact Joe......Ukippers will be voting for May to get on with it.