1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gonzo's Erection Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The Conservatives standing in Northern Irish politics is very, very divisive as only the Unionist population vote for them so it is a good job that the official Unionist party (formerly united with the Conservatives, even in Cameron's time) have split again from the Tories. Labour would be far less troublesome as in theory they come with less baggage, but again like the Cons they are a "Unionist" party. They would get nowhere in an election so it would be a waste of time and money. It is better that N Ireland has its own parties, that way the perception is amongst the Nationalist population there is less interference from the London Government.

2. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

<laugh>
    what apart from controlling finance , foreign policy et al.
    oh and with collapse of the Assembly they will end up with direct rule anyway .

3. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Talking of govt interference ours hasn't even formed since the assembly election lol..over the last 10 years I'd say we'd be lucky if they actually turned up for half that!

****ing bunch of wasters.

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  4. DirtyFrank

If it wasn't for a nice solid sectarian vote to continually bolster the main parties they'd have all been thrown out for incompetence a long time ago.

5. moreinjuredthanowen

I'm sure NI is a complete basket case and not really one for a good example

1. Is NI not vested interest for all concerned to keep electing the parties they do... to get what they are getting now.
    2. Is NI not 50% public service or something?
    3. What would NI do on its own... fall apart? I don;t knwo but it seems to be as long as the gravy keeps coming in the form of grants and money to run the things why would anyone vote differently?

I heard the same argument about scotland. they are net takers from UK not net contributors to the purse so... again.. why would they leave.

these arguments are simply made all the time so i'm not espousing them just asking.

6. The Ides of March

Maybe that is what the DUP want, then they can blame the Natinalists for obstructing their wishes. So the deaths of all those in the Troubles count for nothing because of the obduracy of fecking politicians.

PS: Tories need to keep their big noses out of Northern Ireland as far as possible. If ever there was a party that was divisive it is the Conservatives. If I was an Ulsterman of any persuasion I would say no to Direct Rule, particularly Tory DR!!

7. The Ides of March

Maybe that is a deliberate policy by Westminster. To stop the child from being beligerent you give him a sweet, to make the population more compliant, give them service jobs instead of encouraging them to attract businesses. Many of the great inventors of the past came from Scotland. Scotland has given the world its fair share of scientists. It is more than capable of standing on its own if allowed to and encouraged. Northern Ireland likewise. By keeping them dependent on Westminster handouts it makes them too scared to seek their own Sovereignty. Generations of Westminster Governments have overseen the collapse of manufacturing industry in both Northern Ireland and Scotland, as well as Northern England, so why should the Scots or Northern Irish give two figs about the London Government?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

probably. it worked in empire days after all.

irrespective of what scotland has done it is still on handouts deliberately but westminister but it should be able to find some means to balance books if independant but it will be a peripheral state of EU. (at best)

btw those westminister governemnts did for industry all over so yeah why should anyone vote tory north of watford...

9. The Ides of March

Why should anyone vote Tory anywhere? Liverpool and Manchster are Tory free zones and long may they remain that way. I wish I could say the same about Hampshire. I have a horrid feeling my county (Hampshire) will be a complete Tory zone after this election without a Lib Dem or Labour MP anywhere to be seen.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

people with money like them for some reason :)

money votes for money friendly parties.

11. DirtyFrank

Point of order ...it was Sinn Fein who collapsed the assembly this time lol..in fairness because the DUP first minister was bent and it timed nicely as an excuse for Marty to go die.

And neither side gets to say poor me about fatalities during the troubles....

Solid_Air 2 likes this.
  12. The Ides of March

It is two parties. traditionally it is for people with money, but it is also a party for the "chavs." Portsmouth is not a wealthy city, it is a city full of chavs that continuously votes Tory.

13. The Ides of March

I stand corrected!! You are right, it was SF.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

I suppose. I don't get how UKIP could take 3million votes last time if 1/3rd of the tory party are really firmly UKIP types for example. You'd think this competition for those votes would have weakened on or other.

I dunno about portsmouth, never been but i know a lad from london who's got a holiday house in bournemouth and they are tory too. its all money down there i think.

funnily southampton is split

15. moreinjuredthanowen

It was a very short term gain for a very poor long term hit IMO.

Sinn fien gains seat but there was never a chance in hell the dup were going to acquiesce to a new assembly cos the dup are happy with direct rule stopping anything like a nationalist gain.

there will be no assembly IMO so what will sinn fein do now?

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Yep, the "white van man" Tory has been a factor in British politics since the 80's.

The rag that shall not be named gave them pre-packaged political ideals and told them the Tories were the party to back, and hey presto.

Blair won them back for Labour after that rag changed allegiance and told white van man to vote Labour, but of course the media and Murdoch in particular aren't the Kingmakers of UK politics lol.

17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

UKIP hovered up the xenophobic voters, from either side of the divide.

Tories who thought the party weren't right wing enough, and misguided working class Labour voters who took issue with the local Polski supermarket.

18. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

sooner or later DUP & Sinn Fein will come to an agreement because if they don't they risk going back to constant direct rule and that makes them all irrelevant plus puts the "peace" in serious danger.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

i wonder if that time is before or after a bomb goes off.

Surely the DUP cannot back down on thier leader and Sinn fien cannot back down on her being corrupt?

IMO the worst thing that could occur is another election leaves sinn fein as majority party or largest party as in that case i cannot see anyone unionist doing anything but blocking.

I've wondered from time to time if the place was made independent and told to sink or swim in financial markets what would people elect.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

suppose so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.