1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General Election

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Jennings60s, Apr 18, 2017.

1. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

As I understand it the problem land is owned by the National Trust.

As much as I regret it, as an Englishman, Scotland would be a foreign country, and a pretty minor one at that. I wouldn't want our Nukes there. From a practical view point I would like that we, Ruk, would have to house the nukes in the US no matter what the cost. That said I'd probably have to accept a deal would be done - there is always a price :emoticon-0130-devil

But Scotland is yet to demonstrate that a majority want independence. And as time goes by I expect that number will reduce, not increase. The reason being the youth of today, as many generations of Scots and Ruk, appreciate the flexibility of living, working and raising their families in a bigger pond. Yes I accept Alex Salmond did very well last time around stimulating the youth of Scotland but he still failed.

The best chance might be if the UK leaves the EU under very bad terms but I seriously doubt, especially the EU, will want that. And the efforts to get independence for Catalunya may well demonstrate the EU's attitude to new membership even further weakening the SNP case.

But one last question if I may:

How many Americans work at Fastlane and enjoy the "the bright lights of Glasgow"? Don't get me wrong the beer in the Counting House is good but Glasgow as a tourist attraction? It didn't make the top 20 list of UK cities as tourist attractions. Scotland has more than its fair share of wonderful places but I'd rate Glasgow a long way down the list :emoticon-0143-smirk

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

We're talking 1961 here - America wanted proximity to knocking shops for its personnel, Glasgow had them aplenty.

I don't know if the whole area around Falmouth now belongs to the National Trust, but back then it was, in part, part of the Duchy of Cornwall. It wouldn't surprise me if it was handed over to NT to safeguard it for the future. :)

Being a pretty minor country is not an issue - there's nothing wrong with that, to which the citizens of plenty of similar-sized successful countries will attest. And we wouldn't be foreign either... <laugh>

Your thoughts on the youth of Scotland and their desire for Independence may or may not be accurate - they remain committed, according to polls, and their numbers have increased on the electoral roll, particularly those in tertiary education (whose numbers really are far more substantial than another poster on here likes to think). And somewhat ironically, Theresa May's videos on the subjects of Pensions and Dementia Tax have been working their magic on the elderly - the group that mainly supported the No vote, with no small thanks to the scare tactic of threatening their pensions.

kchorn likes this.
  3. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Laughed at the elderly. I'm beginning to enjoy that part of getting older (only 64 so hopefully a bit to go :emoticon-0103-cool:) from a selfish point of view you can vote for short-term and thus have more confidence you'll get what you want.

My point about minor country would be in relation to the ruk. Scotland will never be a huge marketplace for us.

I still think one massive issue for us (ruk) is not having 5 million scots claiming and benefiting from dual nationality. That clearly is not fair but will be difficult to stop. Maybe putting up the price of passports for people living north of the border but that still leaves a million scots living in the UK. And of course the English and others living north of the border.

One solution would be for SE England to walk. Now that would be fun. London in the EU as the financial centre but not having to look after the rest of the uk. And dule nationality. Bring i on :emoticon-0105-wink:

But if the Scots want to go I say all the best <cheers>

4. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Back home and find my voting papers are here. I know the Tory from her days as leader of the District Council. She was incompetent in that role and is equally useless as a government minister. Her predecessor was a super MP who you could count on to take up the issues that worried people. It will make little difference how I vote as if you stuck a blue rosette on a donkey it would get elected.
    Two new polls out today showing that the Tory lead is vanishing at what is an astonishing rate. If people did vote in line with them, then the government would be returned with almost the same majority. What a waste of time and money if that happened.

5. Bolton's Boots

Very true, but a split would, in my opinion, be hugely beneficial for Scotland. One of the many cries from south of the border is the effect that "you'll lose your biggest market" - referring to the claim that a large percentage of Scottish exports are to England. Now that may well be correct, but I doubt anyone can confirm that or otherwise. With Scotland having been arrogantly deemed a 'region' rather than the separate country that it is, there simply is no mechanism to accurately assess the level of cross-border trade. What it will mean for Scotland though, is that England won't be able to do as it does now - re-brand and export as its own. The market for Scottish goods will still be there, but the middle man won't. In the greater scheme of things, that may not mean much to England, but it would certainly mean a lot to Scotland.

Cheek!! :)
    To be honest, I doubt that would ever be a worry. The population may well be around the 5.5 million mark but my current impression is that you'd find that already a small but rising majority of those have no interest in claiming British nationality. I'm under no illusions that none would want to remain British, but for those who would, the problem would squarely lie in Westminster's court. Don't forget that they have experience in such matters - think back to virtually every country they have invaded and 'colonised', then graciously set free. Citizens from those countries have been allowed British Citizenship, some would, and frequently have, say, rather foolishly.

And even if Jeremy Corbyn does oust Theresa May and her Tories, bringing back a degree of sanity not only to the country but to foreign affairs and overseas reputation, I really can't see what benefits there would be to holding a UK passport anyway. :)

I think it may already be too late for London in the EU - hasn't that particular 'strong and stable' door already been bolted?

kchorn likes this.
  6. kchorn

kchorn Well-Known Member

Yup goodpoint. We trade with Scotland (we're only a 2 man company so nothing grand :emoticon-0114-dull:,) and your right we do not separate our VAT or accounting records for Scotland. For the EU certainly. So I guess the quoted figures are just survey feedback.

The romance is great but I have many Scottish friends and none are planning on giving up their right to a UK passport. If you travel around the world you will want access to everything the UK offers. And the pipe dream that AS had that Scots would just get access for free with a Scottish passport was truly blown away . And in any case why would you look a gift horse in the mouth? Not many Scots from my experience :emoticon-0105-wink: - I think it is what you call canny north of the border. If I had access to a Spanish passport, with the travelling I do, I'd certainly take one as back up.

I was only joking on that one :emoticon-0140-rofl: London will do just fine as a Singapore sitting on the doorstep of the EU.

Interesting stuff BB and a pleasant banter. Would like to carry on but this weekend have lots of work - oddly and coincidentally for St Andrew's and Edinburgh Universities - funny old world. So have a good one and until next week when hopefully we find out who the new man at the Vic will be <cheers>

7. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Corbyn looked very shifty on the Andrew Neil programme avoiding most of the questions. Corbyn, along with several senior members of his shadow cabinet, were clearly shown to have been IRA sympathisers during the Irish troubles. He was also shown to be unreliable regarding the nuclear deterrent issue, refusing to answer a straight question on support of NATO. He certainly did not look Prime Minister material, more a used car salesman.

8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

While the same interviewer couldn't get May to provide an answer on how she would fund the NHS. He tried hard, but she just waffled on and didn't have anything positive to say. No wonder the lead she had in the polls is evaporating.

9. superhorns

The one poll showing a small Tory lead is just what is needed to avoid any complacency, after Corbyn's dismal display tonight that gap should widen again. A sensible maximum cap on the social care issue would also recapture the previous level of support.

10. Bolton's Boots

Maybe this answers your question?

Capture12.JPG

11. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I would like to know why you consider Corbyn's performance as dismal. He is drawing attention to the fact that there are no simple solutions to the issue of terrorism. Attention must be placed also on the reasons behind it. The 'solution' at the moment does not work ie. playing self appointed world policeman behind America and, interfering in one Islamic country after the other - there is a direct correlation between Britain's overseas wartime role, and their role as a weapon exporter, and events closer to home. You would have to be blind not to see that. The focus upon raising security levels, controlling anyone who looks vaguely like a Moslem, plays into the hands of ISIS - it is their goal to damage relations between Moslems living in the west and their host nations in any way they can. That way their recruitment is easier. As to the IRA. Corbyn has done nothing other than to meet with members of Sinn Fein - an organization which is legal. The Tory press are starting to panic now - and we can expect the personal attacks on Corbyn to increase as a result. I would like to see you actually try to engage with Labour's policies, rather than always reverting to 'personal' attacks, Party politics is about policies and manifestoes not about personality politics.
    Corbyn's position on Trident is also clear - he does not want it but his PLP does, and he has accepted that. Although it would be better if the Labour Party had a referendum of all their members on this one.

kchorn likes this.
  12. Bolton's Boots

And help broker a peace deal during those meetings.

Whereas the Tories actually harbour a former IRA member - yet the press are strangely reticent to mention this. :emoticon-0138-think
    tory-ira.png

13. Bolton's Boots

http://archive.is/3EkVe

"Jeremy Corbyn may cause ‘dramatic decrease’ in Britons looking for love"

Something tells me the Tories are frantic with worry - this attack on Corbyn by their media puppets just takes the cake...

14. Bolton's Boots

In solidarity with teachers south of the border...

15. superhorns

Sorry Cologne, I do not want to get into a long debate about Labour's policies. Rather like the end of our frustrating football season I am now suffering political overload, I have lost temporary interest, and no it is not because the election polls are narrowing towards Labour.!!!

16. colognehornet

If you are not prepared (or able) to debate matters of policy, then it would be wise to also avoid expressions such as 'dismal showing' about party leaders. The truth is that you have never debated policy, but concentrated your attacks only on personalities. However 'political overload' I can understand.

17. superhorns

What a joker you are. 95% of the posts from the lefty anti Brexit clique are attacks on the PM and other cabinet members, including most of the childish cartoons.

18. colognehornet

No SH. You will find that I have never inserted cartoons - because I don't know how to do it ! (Not a digital native I'm afraid). Also I hardly ever mention TM. or any other right wing politician. The personalities do not matter very much to me - unfortunately, British politics has become too obsessed with personality politics (more Americanized), where we treat our politicians more like performing seals - they perform well, or badly, at eg. TV. debates. Sometimes electors are more interested in the hat TM. is wearing, or the suit JC. is wearing than in anything else. All politicians, of all shades, make mistakes in front of the cameras - or, sometimes, react badly when under pressure from journalists and interviewers who are paid to be as 'nerving' as possible. What is different is the way the media deals with such lapses.

19. superhorns

You will find I did not accuse you personally but most of the comments from the 'clique' are personal attacks on the PM and others. You need to get you own house in order if you want policies rather than personalities debated.

20. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Not true in my case ....read my posts.....

You and one or two others seek to stereotype some posters here as a lefty clique.... and then you seem to want to make out that we personalise the debate???

No response from you to my NHS post a few days back. Little detail from the Conservative machine which seeks itself to personalise the election.

I am really coming to believe that labour are winning the policy debate time and time again......