1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic General Election

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Jennings60s, Apr 18, 2017.

1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

I do not blame Hunt for the failings of Watford General. They have been in 'special measures' for a few years.

Political programmes are meant to interview politicians from the varies strands, I have been very restraint whilst listening to the smug 'white van' Thornberry. The Daily politics with Andrew Neill is a standard of impartiality that Newsnight should try to emulate. Neil is hard but fair, he is also extremely competent with his research.

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why is it not improving with the special measures?

3. superhorns

Who knows, chief exec, culture, management?

4. superhorns

There was report in the Watford Observer listing the areas that need improvement, it may be better than the 'inadequate' state in 2015 but still not up to the standard of most hospitals.

5. Jennings60s

Jennings60s Active Member

Everyone is exposed to all sorts of influences and experiences - and they go to help make us up. I am not sure many people claim their ideas are novel - we get them from somewhere. Identical twins though often turn out quite differently so it shows that influences are only that. What we accept or reject is part of who we are. Of course if you have no experience of something you will not have knowledge of it - but take two people from your desert island and expose them to the same experiences - and they will not be identical. We re all a sum of our genetics and everything that "touches" us.

6. Jennings60s

Maybe a particular item was biased - but one item could easily be balanced against others where bias goes the other way. I watch Newsnight sometimes and would struggle to say whether it was biased left or right.
    Who says some UK institutions are above criticism? I have seen plenty of criticism of the ones you mention - as well as others. I am sure nothing is above criticism - but whether the criticism is fair or not is another point.

7. superhorns

Neil Kinnock said recently he will not see a Labour government in his lifetime. I'm waiting for his son Stephen to also say it.

8. bragantino

bragantino Active Member

Picking on Laura Kuenssberg and Nicholas Robinson as politically biased is a particularly damp squib to attack the BBC with, especially when Poly Toynbee was dispensed with for being overtly political in her reporting, Stephanie Flanders was the squeeze of not one but two Labour MPs and Robert Peston as well, and I could go on. The BBC's impartiality must certainly be called into question when correspondents are allowed to let their own political beliefs colour their reports.

9. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

They are all human..... and will of course have views.
    I only mentioned them to counter SH's comment about newsnight....

10. superhorns

Hopefully I gave compelling evidence why those two presenters were not fit for purpose for a BBC news programme. Their obvious bias should have ruled them out immediately. I cannot imagine somebody with a known right wing tendency securing a position as a presenter on a BBC news programme.

11. yorkshirehornet

I don't know about your first comment

Generally

Times have changed. BBC tends to reflect the time etc.

Go back to my youth and BBC was the establishment.....

12. Jennings60s

I think we need to rely on our own judgement a bit -when I see someone being overly hostile in questioning I tend to turn over to another side. I expect questions to be challenging and so long as the same interviewer gives each side a hard time that is good but some clearly attack one side more than another - that is why I have the remote handy.

13. superhorns

The latest YouGov poll puts the Conservatives even further ahead at 48%, double the support of Labour on 24%. The Lib Dems on 12% and UKIP dropping to 7%.

It seems the UKIP support is transferring back to the Tories. The LibDems expected to do well from an extremely low base.

14. yorkshirehornet

Likely to swing a bit as I imagine a large % of voters are considering a very different set of variables than last time round

15. Jennings60s

16. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Everything is possible Yorkie. I think that whether we like it or not it will be a 'Brexit' election, and nobody has any idea (at this moment in time) what Labour would do with it if they were elected - over the next 6 weeks they have to get a clear policy of exactly what they would do if they took over the Brexit negotiating team - and then get this negotiating position over to the people. At the moment Ukip voters appear to be going back to the Tories, which is going to make things very difficult. Labour may also be losing some remainers to the Liberals, and the Greens - and some hard Brexiters in the other direction. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that one day Brexit will be behind us, and we can get back to real politics. The other good side to this is that it could be more than a lifeline for the Liberals - who will get a large payback through having been the only major party with a clear position on Brexit. The Greens will also do well - particularly with Caroline Lucas back at the helm - maybe even taking a couple more seats. Which constituency are you in Yorkie ?

17. Jennings60s

On the quiz I came out Labour, followed by LibDem, Greens and then SNP.

18. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

19. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I've just done it as well - 76% Green, 75% Labour, 68% SNP, 64% Lib Dem. 52% Plaid Cymru, 28 % Conservative.

20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I came out as a LibDem, SNP. It did show up that no one party represents me 100%