1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Kyle Edmund lost first set 6-0, but has taken second set 7-5 with some wonderful tennis. Will he win...probably not, but is displaying his talents well.

2. fran-MLs little camera

Nadal breaks, then Kyle breaks straight back to love.

3. fran-MLs little camera

Nadal wins third set 6-3, but a great performance from Edmunds. He plays lovely tennis.

4. fran-MLs little camera

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/39668194

James Hall wins all round bronze in European Gymnastics Championship. I wonder what is behind our recent successes....we used to look like carthorses competing against thoroughbreds.

fatletiss likes this.
  5. fran-MLs little camera

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I feel we will have a new champion at Roland Garros, someone rather unexpected. Djokovic's mind seems elsewhere these days, not quite sure that Nadal is at the same level he once was, Federer has only won this once, Murray is carrying a niggling injury so someone new. And who is going to fill the massive void left by the great Serena? There is no one at her level. I feel we will have a plethora of different winners amongst the ladies for the next few years.

7. The Ides of March

Things do happen in threes, they say. Yet another sporting death, the Italian cyclist Michele Scarponi!! What a sad week!!!

8. fran-MLs little camera

Not on same level as Serena, but keep your eye on Konta. There's something about her cool manner that reminds me of other Champions....she's not fazed by defeat or victory....just turns away and gets ready for the next ball.

9. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

GB's Fed Cup tie with Romania suspended and Romania captain sent off. <laugh> I never knew you could get sent off in tennis!

10. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

You mean the racist guy? I am shocked.

11. fran-MLs little camera

Time to dig out the oft quoted factoid....Tim Henman was sent off at Wimbledon for violent conduct. <laugh>

12. fran-MLs little camera

Now one match all. Konta went on to win after going off in tears....must have been bad for her to get so upset.

13. fran-MLs little camera

Seems her sports psychologist committed suicide this week and the game was suspended because of her tears....Romanians unhappy because they were winning the set at that point.

14. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Oh no, I didn't know that. Poor Jo :emoticon-0106-cryin However, it seems that Nastase was verbally abusing both Keothavong and Konta. If that's the case then Romania should be disqualified. He's their captain, for goodness sake!!

15. fran-MLs little camera

When you are fragile you are unable to just ignore unpleasantness. Can't believe what Nastase said about Serena Williams and then kept pestering Keothavong.

16. fran-MLs little camera

Ellie Downie takes silver in vault. And bronze in uneven bars.

Courtney Tulloch got silver in rings.

5 Medals so far with 6 possibles tomorrow...excellent results for the GB team.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    fatletiss likes this.
  17. fran-MLs little camera

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/ilie-nastase-calls-anne-keothavong-125458266.html

Dreadful behaviour from Nastase today....called Konta and Keovathong ******* bitches and a journalist ugly and stupid. I'm not one to reach for the sexist or misogynist label, but this man seems to have a problem with women. Would probably argue with anyone, but certainly doesn't like being 'challenged' as he sees it by women.

18. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Nastase has ruined a wonderful career by his behaviour and will have to live with it. Konta's opponent will probably be forgiven in time for what she said afterwards.

Cirstea claimed Konta had "overreacted".

"Someone crying cannot stop a match," she told BBC Sport.

"From a tennis point of view, Johanna deserved the win - she is a better player than me - but the behaviour of the British team was exaggerated.

"Why did we stop? Only because Johanna cried? I have never cried on the court because someone told me something. You have to toughen up.

"OK, at 2-1 you take our captain out, that was the right decision, but then at 3-1 I break you and now you cry. I am not saying it was fake, but it was not logical.

"Next time I'm in trouble I will cry, maybe I can go off the court. As Romanians we get double insulted because of our nation but it's OK, we are tough. Tougher than British people apparently."

I'm not sure if I was Joanna I would play the remaining matches?

19. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Looking forward to El Classico tonight, 90 mins of moaning at the ref and who can dive the most.

As I type this Ronaldo goes down in the box in th first minute, replay shows it's a penalty, not given

20. The Ides of March

Great to see a Kenyan double in the London Marathon. Keep it up and let's hope East Africa continues to dominate middle and distance running in this year's World Athletics Championships. That includes the great Mo Farah as he is of East African ancestry. I don't know what happened to them in 1984 but I would have loved the Kenyans and Ethiopians to have beaten Seb Coe in the Los Angeles Olympics.