1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gills attendences

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by gioblues, Apr 27, 2017.

1. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Surprising that despite Gills playing rubbish and fighting relagation our attendences on average is around only 200 down from last season when we were in the top 6 for most of the season. Over to you brb lol

2. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Free tickets? Larger away support visiting our historic and beautiful town?

We'll see what the accounts say for 2016/17 - if we ever get to see them - about Christmas next year if current performance is anything to go by, by which time this thread will have been long forgotten....

patchy70 and brb like this.
  3. brb

brb CR250

Lol...Very valid point, however, although I have plenty to say on this matter, I think our dear friend and board member alwaysright will be able to explain with more feist why our attendances are only down by 200.

Crash helmets at the ready lads....

4. brb

brb CR250

Historic and beautiful, glad I wasn't supping beer when I read that.

5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

my records show that this season the average home, ( league ), attendance was 6116... Average 'away' numbers was 595
    in 2015/16 it was 6314. The average away numbers was 410.

In 2016/17 we had 408 Sheffield Utd fans. The previous season they brought 1832.
    Oxford brought 1238. The previous season it was 301.
    Southend brought 1760. The previous season it was 1387
    Millwall brought 2262 The previous season it was 1213
    Charlton brought 2360

Without these large followings in this season, our average would be much more than 200 ( 198 ) lower than last season.

We know that Scally has given away 100000000000000000000000000000s of tickets ( not to STH ) over several seasons.

Even in 2012/13 ( L2 Champions ), towards the end of that season; namely on 9th March 2013 we played Plymouth. The 'official' attendance was 10,260. There were loads of empty seats, and about 5000 tickets had been given away.

On 23rd March 2103, we played Accrington Stanley. The 'away' following ( 28 ), boosted the 'official' attendance to 10097 ---- despite the BMS being virtually empty !
    In the past, Mr.Scally had been accused of 'fiddling' the crowd numbers ( it was said that he had declared them to be lower than the actual figure ) - now he was including the 'unused' free tickets --- you can't get people to attend even if you give them away !!!!!

brb - I know you are trying to wind me up with regards to freebies and how STH are treated - but I have refrained from taking the bait.

I'm not sure that Scally will ever fill Priestfield - let alone a new ground. When we won L2, our average home crowd was 6600 ( 57% full ).
    Even in our first year in the Championship ( with large 'away' numbers ), the average was 8950 ( 77% full ) -- the average then significantly dropped.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    patchy70 and brb like this.
  6. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

AlwaysRight, could you please provide that reply in PowerPoint format?

7. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

For crying out loud, please don't encourage him!

brb likes this.
  8. alwaysright

You're lucky to get it without any swearing. I waste enough time on here - and with GFC - I'm not going to fry the brain of brb by doing clever stuff - it won't bring down the ticket prices for fans.

brb likes this.
  9. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

If we do end up suffering relegation then I imagine that the attendances will take a massive hit. Gills twitter account has confirmed that the new ticket prices are final and will be the same regardless of what division we're in. £24 a match ticket for League 2 football is outrageous frankly and I don't expect many people to take up on that very often.

10. brb

brb CR250

Scally despite all my support for him, makes me so angry sometimes. £24!!!!! Is he not listening to the fans, I've even wrote about it enough times, even general feeling is twenty is plenty. Dispense with the freebies and gimmicks for non ST supporters to push the ground numbers up, and give us sensible affordable pricing and fill it based on proper cash income up front.

Mr Chairman what is so difficult to understand in your attempt to fill the ground, give us the offer that i suggested and i will come and give you the cash personally in your hand, no joking, no internet talk, at least take away the financial arguments of not filling the ground, please!

patchy70 likes this.

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

If I could get half price tickets I would, the trouble is I still go at full price, as do many others. Scally trialled £10 tickets in the Town end which had little or no effect on attendances, would dropping prices throughout the whole ground be any more successful.
    Any loss in revenue would have devastating consequences on the playing budget, and lets be honest our current budget has only paid for donkeys.
    I like the idea of a sliding scale for season tickets, the more you sell the cheaper they get, at least that way it protects the budget but offers savings.

12. brb

brb CR250

I feel the Town End was a half hearted effort at best, let's look at the evidence of that, a pile of old scaffolding that should have been taken down years ago, add to that it is so embarrassing and raised so many complaints that we even house the lesser number visiting fans in the GRS now, quite rightly to.

If we can not fill the ground on discounted ST's in the same way other lower league clubs manage, then it fires the whole idea and dream of a new ground out of the water. Any company will carry out a local survey (passing head count) on current trends before opening a retail business, ST sales are a good marker and would suggest currently we do not need a new ground by any stretch of the imagination.

All i say is, TRY IT, surely it's better than giving away freebies!

And regardless of budget, no matter how much you spend you still get donkeys....right i'm off for my lunch now, mccammon steak and eggs.

13. alwaysright

I might be in danger of defending Scally ( for once ) - but here goes......... [ you do realise that it seldom happens - so please bear with me ].

I have recently renewed my ST..... I took the 2 year option ( yes, yes, I am that stupid ) --- but as my sons pointed out " Are you seriously NOT going to continue to attend home games"....... actually I had thought about only doing the away games as a protest against our ticket prices........ but I digress -

The ST cost me £ 740 and will cover 46 league games --- and you never know, one of those seasons could be in the Championship (( please duck in case of low flying pigs ))
    The cost works out at £ 16.08 per game. This is well under what brb appears to be 'willing' to pay ( £20).
    Now, I know that my price is only achievable because I have the funds to pay 'up front' -- and that this is a luxury to most --- but, I don't think that £16.08 is too bad ( if only the 'entertainment' was value for money ). We need to find a way in which a lot more people can be brought into 'my' price bracket.

The stumbling block is people's ability to pay 'up front' or via a credit arrangement that didn't have a crippling interest rate.
    I am fairly confident that many more people would consider paying in installments, - provided the interest wasn't so damaging -- people could then incorporate the cost of a ST within their monthly budget - at a more managable rate..... perhaps offer 0 - 5% AER !

.... just an idea.

14. brb

brb CR250

I think my ST used to work out at £14 per game or thereabouts, however, miss a few games due to work commitments or other personal matters (I think it's 4 in total) then you have zero gain or at the very least a decline in that value for each game you happen to miss.

As you state £740 is a hell of a lot of money for a lower league club, unless someone spotted that flying pig. A lot can happen in two years, it's a big outlay for the unknown and it is going straight into Scally's coffers. If people have £740 up front, then with a bit of extra cash, some supporters will start looking at Premier League football for a season, I'm sure i don't need to go on.

The demographics of our area does not justify £740! Basically putting it blunt, Gillingham is a ****e hole, let's get real here, what working class have that sort of money up front, if you walked into places like Twydall, they'd probably mug you if they knew you had that sort of cash and the club is mugging and charging in interest into the bargain lol.

15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I don't argue that our prices are at the top end of league 1, as already stated I would like to pay less (as a OAP mines cheaper than alwaysright)
    My main gripe is with value for money, I expect us to at least be competitive, not fighting relegation.
    How you can balance prices with a decent budget is the big unknown facing all clubs, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

brb, a new stadium is not about increased capacity, though that is often the result, it's more to do with additional profit streams.

16. brb

brb CR250

The only additional profit streams I see is tears. Look at the mess at Charlton one that has completely screwed the club and fans over, and I'm struggling to see anyway out for them.

After the shamble's of this season it makes me even more reassured that my suggestions have more foundation than they are given credit.

I say Scally needs to stop living the dream and working at it instead. All I hear from the club is about the good sales of early bird offers, and yet oddly they seem not to be able to produce numbers, once again marketing bull.

I still believe we should stay up, because any relegation will put this season down as one if the worst in a very long while, Stimmo was a genius compared to this crap - think you can all tell, I'm furious at the current embarrassing going on at the club.

17. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

I find it highly offence what you said about twydall as i live there. My friend orlando Bloom does not live to far away aswell and hes not impressed either

18. brb

brb CR250

Apologies I'll rephrase me comment, Tywdall is full of wealth and £740 is peanuts to the demographics. And I would never ever be mugged in such a picturesque place.