1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Go or Stay - Your Thoughts.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 20, 2017.

1. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Never did see us being above mid table but after such a good start where we had 23 points in October, what followed was hugely disappointing. A win today would good as sort it but a defeat and almost certain defeat at Brighton would leave a very tricky last game of the season.
    Worse still, I am doing the Bristol 10k that day having organised about 50 of our club coming up from Devon- Race starts at 9.30am and we kick off at 12! Will be monitoring games on phone on the way home hoping I can get a decent signal.

Just a heads up for those travelling. Portway will be closed half way down

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I don't agree that I for one had delusions of anything other than us being around mid-table come May, and I said so before the season even started while others were tipping us for automatic promotion or the play offs.

We have massively underperformed/under achieved on the pitch and off it this term, and the fans who only want the best for the club are the ones who've suffered the most this season with the way the whole club has been run.

Red Robin and gdknac like this.
  3. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Quite agree, its a horrible feeling travelling 85 miles home, on a Tuesday night. Its tipping down with rain, cold, dark and not only did we lose, we didn't score and played carp!-

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

If you boys are happy where we sit,with what has been available to the young man then fine.

For me it has been a disaster with a capital D.

Not renewed Sts and if you think there are 2/3 thousand others that is a lot of unhappy fans,

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

You keep banging on about whats been made available to him, as though it's so much more than any other manager, so please enlighten me what has LJ had that SC didn't? I will admit SOD has his wings clipped under the '5 Pillars' theme in terms of spending so not a fair comparision

What is LJ's biggest outlay in terms of a single transfer fee or total budget?

We know SC had circa £9-11M as he tried to spend it all on a single player in Gayle or Gray, has LJ spent that in total with all the players he has brought in this season?
    Just becasue SC couldn't persuade players to come to BCFC doesn't mean he didn't have the resources behind him. He clearly didn't have the ability to entice talent, whereas LJ clearly does - Tammy Abraham as an example (a 25 goal striker at £9M less than SC tried so desperatly to spend)!

Nobody is happy with how this season has panned out, especially after such a good start, but the truth is we have not under performed as badly as many seem to think we are only 10 points from mid table which is about where we should be, that is not that much - we just won and lost our games in big clusters which has drawn all the attention.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  6. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

I haven't renewed my ST either - along with 2 family member I sit with. My faith in LJ disappeared months ago. I just don't think he's got what it takes to succeed at this level. My suspicion is a few of our better players will be off this summer - Flint/Tomlin in particular and of course no Tammy.

Give him another window, bringing in a few more that he doesn't play, and we will be struggling. If we sack him and bring in a manager with a track record at this level around nov/dec hopefully we may start to kick on. Just couldn't face the same feeling of glum despondence watching them every week knowing the kind of rubbish he will come out with afterwards.

Red Robin likes this.
  7. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

I wonder how much the of the improvement is down to Jamie Mac. Season has been a failure and mistakes repeated which can be put down to LJ and the board. As I see it any quality manager in the championship would be unlikely to share SLs vision of sustainability and that is why LJ s still in post. Whilst being an admiral goal for the future its success relies upon the quality of the academy, bringing players through of championship quality. Southampton is a prime example of sustainability with an excellent academy. I am not sure that LJ and the academy staff are of a high enough quality to nurture SLs dream effectively.

8. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Mr Lansdowns Bristol City will not be sustainable financially. The numbers do not stack up and this season 19(?) players have been brought in, which puts that argument to bed what with Mr Johnson wanting more transfer windows to err buy more..

Huddersfield brought in David Wagner and spend less than BCFC do.

Leeds, yes the owners look a bit bonkers, spending less - Gary Monk.

If Bristol City WAS going to be run as a business Mr Johnson would not have been employed/tolerated.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

But we thrashed Huddersfield 4.0!!

10. Cliftonville

Huddersfield are in a play off position. Looks like they are over it.

The argument is that is BCFC spend less no quality Coach/Manger will come to Ashton Gate. Well all these Coaches/ Managers doing more with less must have some qualities ...

11. oneforthebristolcity

They were flying high, their current form puts them 16th compared to us at 11th. Footballs a funny ole game.....You treat it as a science, it's not. it's a game!!

12. Cliftonville

I do look at football as part science, part game yes. Method and Club principles are the science of a successful club.

Others treat it as a league of finance i.e. that fifteen million.

13. oneforthebristolcity

One would think Arsenal has that to perfection, but can't win the premiership for trying........Method & club principles is not a science it's just good housekeeping....Football is a sport, a game, it's not science when your players become injured or banned for so many games, disrupting the team........Sorry but in my opinion your viewpoint is still a nonsense!

14. Cliftonville

I would not espouse Brentford's moneyball approach being a model for BCFC, but it is based on maths and science. Football has become scientific. Lee Johnson certainly does use modern sporting science methodology.

The clubs method and principles are all important. The head of the XI should be an asset to follow those principles. Injuries - Luck is something to be Managed.

15. oneforthebristolcity

Nah, not convinced....more often than not it's managing to get your players to all gel at the same time, go without injuries and minimal yellow or red cards etc.
    Please don't tell me that Leicester winning the premiership last season was to do method and principles etc, did science play a part in that, more than the likes of Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal?
    Our national side has an open door to the best methods, best principals, all the science any country could wish for, nutritionists on tap. We have players playing in the best league in the world, we could probably choose any manager in the world......yet we're crap.......
    Your theories are fine in principle but means nothing in reality..

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

City played well for maybe two months and **** for six. that's underperforming.

17. Red Alert

frankly bollocks. The Germans French and Spanish leave England miles behind when it comes down to coaching and facilities.

18. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

It would be if that was true

19. Red Alert

yeah two months might be pushing it.

20. oneforthebristolcity

You have only named 3 countries.. I'd say there are a couple more......But we struggle to get out of the qualifying rounds in any tournament......oh and losing to the well equipped Iceland.......now that's bollocks!