1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Goals (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by itstimupnorth, Aug 19, 2017.

1. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

90 league minutes without a goal is sort of understandable, 180 is worrying, 270 is looking a bit problematic.

What odds can I get on them scoring before I get to see them at Rochdale at the end of next month?

Probably worse than I could get for AP still being manager if that situation still exists.

My pre-season optimism has already been proven to be severely misplaced.

brb and WINDYROG like this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

While up the road at Ebbsfleet and after five matches, Keds, Payne and Weston remain unbeaten, sometimes I suppose fans need to be careful for what they wish.

How we could do with Dack right now. I'm not even out to blame anyone, it's clear we are tighter we just need that missing link, reminds me of the old phrase one nil to the Arsenal.

3. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

At the moment it is hard to see where any of our goals are going to come from........even Josh had an off day yesterday. :-(

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Or Cody

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Overall I'm still convinced that the team are better than their league position/points suggest, we've only conceded two goals in three league games, which is a big improvement on last seasons defending. When looking at pre-season results a lot of the goals came from Oldaker, List, Hessenthaler, might not be relevant but it does make you wonder if we need to give them a chance. After the three league games we have managed nine shots on target, a average of just three a match, this is clearly not high enough to win matches, hopefully we can get a goal by any means that will kick-start a run of confidence and allow the season to kick-on.

6. brb

brb CR250

As i said earlier in the thread 1-0 to the Arsenal, I'll take that, if it puts us in a strong position eventually, we just need time for it to come right. Albeit not my preferred style of play.

7. brb

brb CR250

Not sure even now I would agree to that, a player has to fit to a particular style of play rather than visa versa, out of interest does anyone think that Cody would do that and if so how?

8. gillspb

gillspb Active Member

Losing Cody, Dack and JET was always going to have a big impact on our attacking ability this season. All had the ability to score and create goals. JET was never going to win any awards for workrate but like Cody had the ability to score a wonder goal out of nothing, I am concerned that any of the current strikers have that in there locker though Nash could be the man. Dack was always going to be missed and has not been adequately replaced The main problem is the formation, the 3-5-2 will only work as an attacking unit if the wing backs get forward and get crosses and shots in. Garmston and Wagstaff would be the best combination. There is also a severe lack of pace amongst the team. We do look a lot better defensively but as a child of the Peacock era I would prefer to be attacking and lose 4-3 then be defensive and lose 1-0. I really want Pennock to do well but he has to be a bit braver to be a success. Still early days and hopefully the boys can turn it round, cmon U Gills!

brb likes this.
  9. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Ironically one of the things I've heard the most is that Eaves is able to hold the ball up very well but when he's been trying to lay off to a partner (Parker or Wilkinson) their positioning has often been nowhere near the ball so Eaves is doing the hard work for nothing.

We literally signed the perfect player to serve Cody's strengths which makes the losing him even more frustrating now. I do however hold a lot of hope for the young Liam Nash although Pennock needs to do more than just giving him the odd minutes here and there off the bench.

brb likes this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

Cody had been lacking that style of player for a while, so certainly a good point you make towards our constant frailties.

This set up had all the hallmarks of Taylor, not my style one bit, I'm in the gillspb camp on free flowing football.

I've started with a positive mind and will remain so, but by Christmas I could be flipping my lid lol.