1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

God give me strengh....

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jan 20, 2017.

1. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

If it was aimed at Short he`s missed the target.

2. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Its the same as his "we're in a relegation battle" and "I didn't make an subs because the players on the bench weren't good enough" comments. There was no need to say those things. He could have made bland statements that deflected from the issues or turned it round to put a more positive spin on them. To me, its not him "telling it how it is" its him lacking the ability to deal with media questions appropriately.
    I've never understood people's obsession with "telling it how it is" anyway. When someone says "I tell it how it is, me" I just think "so what you're telling me is you're rude tactless, and inconsiderate".

grandpops likes this.
  3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

bugger so you found me out.............<laugh><laugh><laugh>

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

There's definitely something to be said for saying the right thing about your players in public and Moyes doesn't have a clue despite all those years of experience.

5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Everybody is so scared of the elephant in the room ffs, Everybody knows what he's saying is true but people are so uptight about hearing it because they think all players a precious little flowers. If the only way to get a player in is tell the self righteous narcissistic pricks that they're better than they actually are than I don't want them at the club in way shape or form. If a player comes along and hears those comments and thinks, yeah, i'll sign for you and I'll make you eat your words Moyes as I can offer something. That's the sort of player I want at the club. Maybe Dave has decent brain on his head and is just eliminating the waste spaces who want to be pandered to and looking for an easy ride, thinking they're better than they are despite not being good enough, leaving us with players who aren't good enough but will bring 110%.

I see nowt wrong with anything Moyes has been saying. Be honest as it will deter the players we don't want and that can only be a good thing. Lets get players who won't be deterred. We can't afford quality, but we can afford work rate, passion and determination and and we can't afford to end with the other type.

Charley Farley likes this.
  6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think if the managers of the top sides told the media exactly what they thought of their players' performances they'd implode. It's the same at the crapper sides but less so. Like it or not modern players need to be handled carefully, I'm not seeing Moyes having much of a positive effect on the players he already has let alone those who are considering signing.

There's the fans to consider too. Let's have a bit of ****ing positivity and spirit to get us going, not "look, we all know we're ****. We'll be very lucky to stay up because the players aren't good enough".

The Norton Cat likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

We differ as people though. I don't need false hope, I can see right through it. I don't need to hide from the Elephant. If he was sat there swilling out happy clapping bollocks i'd be livid. I don't want a happy clapper manager and I don't want a doom merchant in charge. I want the respect of his truthful views so I know what's happening and he's been echoing my own sentiments on everything. I'm glad we've got a manager who's got a grip of the situation and reassured there's no delusion. It gives me confidence he can keep us up because he's under no dissolution he knows the challange.

He has said the players we have are good enough to keep us up. I agree provided the injuries can be a bit kinder. That's undeniably positive talk. Not seeing Moyes haters patting him on the back for that. No cause your views are already coloured and he'll never do right. He's balanced and truthfull. He respects us to tell us how he really feels good or bad.

I don't need a media friendly charismatic person to manage our club, I need a manager with a full grasp of the situation. I'm not sat here wondering if he doesn't have a ****ing clue what's going on. I know he does. It reassures me. I'm liking Moyes. He'll do for me.

Nordic likes this.
  8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, it's better to face up to facts than coat everything in bullshit. I just think that positivity is a very useful tool for teams in any situation, including ours, and you and Moyes seem happy to chuck it out of the window because it might not be 100% genuine.

I don't remember him saying that the players we have are good enough to keep us up but I believe you, he must have been on medication that day as he hasn't said anything of the sort before or since.

9. Brian Storm

Why is everybody sure sure that his media comments have such a detrimental effect on players? He spends all week with them. They'll be listening to what he says to their face not what he says in interviews. If they are led by interviews they're ****ing idiots.

David Moyes insists Sunderland can avoid relegation from the Premier League WITHOUT any new signings.

But after a “tough few weeks”, the Black Cats boss says survival will only be possible if a significant number of players return from injury AND his side play to the best of their ability over the months to come.

The Wearside outfit stand 19th in the table, a point from a position of safety.

They currently have 10 senior players sidelined by injuries and three at the African Nations Cup.

Yet asked if in the event of no recruitment during the January transfer window Sunderland could still beat the drop, Moyes said: “I think we can, but we’d need to play really well and get our boys back from injury.

“I have to believe we can and I’m putting that over to the players. They also have the experience of having been here before.

“It’s been tough the past few weeks. We got that good result against Liverpool after the busy Christmas period, and everyone thought ‘Thank goodness for that’.

Yet asked if in the event of no recruitment during the January transfer window Sunderland could still beat the drop, Moyes said: “I think we can, but we’d need to play really well and get our boys back from injury.

“I have to believe we can and I’m putting that over to the players. They also have the experience of having been here before.

“It’s been tough the past few weeks. We got that good result against Liverpool after the busy Christmas period, and everyone thought ‘Thank goodness for that’.

“Then the FA Cup came and we didn’t have enough to freshen it up. But the most disappointing result was Stoke (City, last Saturday’s 3-1 league defeat).

“Maybe if we’d had one more win people might say ‘That’s where Sunderland should be’. We would love to have another five wins but we’ve known from ‘Day One’ that’s the way it’s not going to be.”

Moyes added: “My job’s to try and galvanise the squad and keep them going.

“When you’re losing it’s difficult, it’s not easy just to say ‘Everything’s OK, don’t worry about it, we’ll get on with it’. That would be burying our head in the sand.

“But we’ll do everything we can, and we’ll probably try and get a couple of days away sometime, when we’ll try and keep the players positive.”

He just tells the truth as he sees it. God I'd hate to be so media needy as some are. I can separate the media from the dressing room but it all seems to merge for many people. Players will be nowhere near as strung out on Media as people make out imo.

Good to point out again that PDC got **** for being honest at our situation. Where as Big Sam and Big Dick got no **** at all. I reckon it's just certain managers lose the popularity contest which seems to be more important than the football at times. Whether your face fits is what it's down to. I prefer it to be about football myself.

RTB and Nordic like this.
  10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Drab Dave is a gloomy ****er.

But he's our gloomy ****er.

Shame his boss is such a ****.

Nordic and Brian Storm like this.

11. The Norton Cat

Its not a case of wanting false hope or being scared of the reality of the situation though. To me, these comments suggest that Moyes doesn't have a full grasp of the situation because he clearly doesn't understand the importance that positivity plays in the psychology of motivating people or how to present a decent public image of himself and the club. There is an air of doom and gloom at the moment, people leaving games before half time, and negative comments like this don't help to dispel that feeling that all is lost already.

He doesn't have to tell lies, he doesn't have to suddenly become as charismatic as Jurgen Klopp. All he has to do is present what he says in a more measured way. In the 21st century, a manager's job goes beyond organising training and picking a team- he's the public face (and voice) of SAFC and if that public voice is telling us we've had it then that opinion will seep into the consciousness of everyone else, making the up hill struggle of staying in the Prem that much harder.

Nacho likes this.
  12. Brian Storm

Maybe he motivates his players on a more personal level. That's what I would do. I'd use the media to keep hitting home on the need to strengthen to our owner who's main link to the club on a daily bases will be the media. In the meantime I'd let my player know to ignore the media I'm trying to generate cash from the owner. He's doing what all our previous managers have done, funny how it's acceptable for some and not others.

13. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I agree with both sides of this in a way, what is very clear is that it's a hard situation to manage. Moyes has his flaws and his personality is probably one of them, but if you want a happy go lucky mucker who'll trot out the great one liners then you should have went for Holloway.

In my opinion he's come out and said they won't make much of a difference to the first team because he knows those types of players cost a lot, but they can make a difference to the bench which lately, has been full of kids who are not up to these levels.

If these free agents get offended by that then they need to take their head out of the clouds, because there's a reason they're free agents and not playing PL football every week.

14. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Obviously this isn't the way the club should be going, but what is equally obvious is that fact the club have **** all to spend so unfortunately it looks like this is why DM is reduced to.

Trying to be positive and **** me it's hard, but is Lescott any worse that Djilibodge? he's been absolute rank so far and a complete liability imo.

15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Maybe he does do that or maybe he barely speaks to them, some managers don't. He's not really known for his communication skills.

16. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

His downbeat attitude is going right through the club at the moment, certainly going through to some the fans who can't be that bothered at the moment or else they wouldn't be leaving on 82mins (if not earlier).

There's the feeling that 'because I've already paid for my season ticket I may as well go' and that's not the 'supporters' that the lads on the field need.

It's just all too negative IMO and I just can't see how the lads won't be feeling the same.

17. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

It's way too easy to blame Moyes for the atmosphere at the club mate.

You're hardly party central up there, 3 weeks under Allardyce and that's all I can remember since your previous survival. Your fans are notoriously downbeat, at home, many on here even admit that.

He's probably doing this to manage fans and to tell them how it is, so they don't turn on him, because if they do, you can't afford to sack him so it'd be toxic as **** up there, like Steve Kean's days at Blackburn.

18. Brian Storm

He takes his own training sessions and is well known for joining his players on bonding excursions. I'm going to sway with the belief he talks to his player face to face rather than using the media. <ok>

19. Brian Storm

Good post Tel.

20. The Norton Cat

This is the problem with discussing this though. If I say I don't like what he says in the media, its immediately assumed that I want the polar opposite. I don't want that. I just want someone who appears to have put some thought in to what he says, not airing his demons in public.
    I would hope that he is saying something different to the players. But what he says is having an effect on the fans and that indirectly affects the players because of the way the fans then react at the ground. "Telling it how it is" isn't the mark of a strong manager to me. Making bland remarks to the media and keeping it all in house would be.