1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gonzo's Erection Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moreinjuredthanowen

2. LuisDiazgamechanger

Loser Labour party.

3. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Unfortunately a walk in the park for Tories. Labour in no position to challenge due to Corbyn.

Only thing that might stop a complete rout is it being a proxy second referendum on EU. Although it will be interesting to see if this so called change of heart of the brexit masses actually happened...election result will go a good way in telling us.

4. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Lib Dems have already decided to make it a clear choice to reverse Brexit.

That'll make it interesting.

Corbyn and Labour will be absolutely annihilated

5. LuisDiazgamechanger

I cannot understand why Corbyn is that power drunk, knowing the damage he is doing to the labour party.

6. DirtyFrank

He's a Bannon in his own way. He didn't become leader to lead the Labour party. He became leader in an attempt to deconstruct it. He's anti the status quo. Whether you think that is a plus point or not, the UK system just isn't set up for an anti establishment figure to be successful in general elections.

The mainstream Labour must have mixed feelings about this one. On one hand it will guarantee another 5 years of Tory govt. On the other it means he will be gone after 8th of June.

All those that called into question Mays legitimacy as PM because "she wasn't elected" (despite that being a position showing a distinct lack of understanding of our GE and Parliamentary structures) have played into Mays hands. She is already being accused of a U turn but I gurantee the response will be "you all called for it, I'm simply giving it to you!"

7. moreinjuredthanowen

When labour are the third party will he resign?...
    I don't think so. I think it would take him losing his seat for him to resign

Sky says 100 seat majority to force through everything outside brexit they want. Which imo is what they really want

8. DirtyFrank

Indeed. Although because of Corbyn they may get the legitimacy they want for it. If it's a Brexit focused campaign and they landslide it they'll say they have the mandate and the ref result has been confirmed.

Interesting to look at:

Possibility of a Lib/Labour pact. Will it be a full on coalition agreement or simply targeting seats?

The effect a EU/Independence conflated campaign will have on the SNP. By putting the two together I think May has out manoeuvred Krankie here. There's more at risk for SNP than in a referendum on Independence alone. At worst it delays a second Scottish ref...at best May can hope a turn away from SNP in a GE can give her the ability to refuse a second one at all.

9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

They're playing with fire though, as there's plenty who'll vote tactically if there's a genuine anti 'hard brexit' ticket.

I can see the Lib Dems doing very well out of this, it'll be interesting to see how Labour decide to play it over this issue.

10. DirtyFrank

Do you think under Corbyn Labour can come to this position though? I think if both them and the Libs had a comparative ticket on Brexit it could work. I just look at Corbyn in the referendum and think he'll stay away from Brexit as much as possible and have a campaign focused on social issues...normally fine and dandy but tactically flawed this time round maybe?

11. FedLadSonOfAnfield

I'll be voting Lib Dem

12. DirtyFrank

Of course what might damage the Tory campaign is another fudged image of post Brexit future. Will they do the same old split of outrageous claims or the we can't tell you until it's negotiated?

Think they'll have a more free hand at setting out what they want than under Cameron but it's still the old "we don't want to tip our hand in the negotiations" conundrum. Will their own Brexit rebels risk muddying a general election or toe the party line?

13. DirtyFrank

I'll vote but it's not really a profitable election for NI voters who don't go mainstream Unionist or Nationalist. Not a lot of chance of effecting the outcome unfortunately.....

14. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

God I hope you're right Tobes, but I am the epitome of what can go wrong here. I vote in York Outer, a Tory seat with Labour second. I had previously voted Lib Dem to try and keep the Turdys out, but all it does is split the Labour vote. That's the problem, and it'll be the same allover the country.

I left the Labour Party (again) back in January (or I just cancelled my DD - they still send me bumph), and I'd campaign if they wantme to. But ****, she knows what she's doing, and if she's not even prepared to wait until the 2019 boundary seats that would have given the Turdys an extra 30 seats, then her polling must be showing it's a done deal, and then some.

Utterly depressed.

15. FedLadSonOfAnfield

I'm hoping that the Lib Dems become the principle opposition since Labour are still in such disarray and the election will likely be fought on a pro-europe / anti-europe stance with regards to brexit or even with regards to whether we even want that anymore. I know I still don't and never will

Given that this will be a major focus of the campaigns and that the Lib Dems are the only party to have come out directly in opposition to brexit and the government's stance, they're surely a strong and probably the obvious choice for any remainer to vote for

16. FedLadSonOfAnfield

This is a fair point and you pick up on a main problem about seats that are marginal or split, they'll be default tory wins since the right wingers simply coalesce around their one option and the left is divided between two offering very different stances and approaches

* Record Points Total likes this.
  17. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

All the Scots have to do, btw, is get a mandate in Scotland on another referendum, and there goes May's wafer thin argument that nobody up there wants another referendum, if they're using the same mechanism that May is to get her mandate.

18. DirtyFrank

That's what pissed me off with Sinn Fein. Both Nationalist parties are ant Brexit but the dominant one doesn't take their seats on parliament! Even if I voted tactically, say sdlp with the idea that more anti Brexit seats the better it's ruined when half those seats will be wasted...

19. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Of course what could happen here is that we end up with an extra two years of tory government with an even stronger majority, actually that's a good question, if they are re-elected do they add the remainder of this term onto another 5 years or does the cycle effectively reset and they just get another 5 years and the remainder of this term is cancelled out ??

Politics these days has become so unpredictable though I wouldn't want to call what's going to happen

20. LuisDiazgamechanger

If they are re-elected five years, they cannot add on !.

Milk not bear jizz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.