1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Good news - contract extension talks

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Jordon Forster has been signed on loan until the end of the season.......the 23yr old Scot is a defender from Hibs....I can't track down his heighth.

I would expect that Mellor is the most likely player to drop to the subs bench.

Unless we have sold one of our key defenders.....there has been an offer for one of them ?

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1.87 metres plym or to you old blokes 6ft 1 in his stocking feet (ish).

Looks ok but as per I will reserve judgement until he has kicked in anger for us. Not sure where you get "there has been an offer for one of them" from plym. Believe Adams said there had been one offer. He didn't say if it was striker, midfield or defender. He also said it had been rejected. Whilst Adams seems to say little before anything is final I do believe what he does say is true.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Curtis Nelson is the talk sensible......but I can't remember where I saw it.......also been picked up on another Argyle site.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Here is a another quote from online:

Also wolves bid 150k for Carey its been rumoured, its been turned down.. piss take from Wolves.

Coventry City set to sign Plymouth forward Ruben Reid for an undisclosed fee after the forward has handed in a transfer request and wants to force away out of the devon club and move into league 1. Other news from Coventry is that Cardiff City have submitted a £7.5 million for Coventrys starlet James Maddison, deal seems to be close and should be done in the next coming weeks.

5. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Why would an unfit reuben reid want to force a move away?- unless perhaps he is unhappy at bench warming, though not sure he would get straight into Coventry's first team - sounds unlikely to me but i have been known to be wrong (only once).
    I was surprised when Curtis didn't move in the summer- that was genuine insider info with a pre arranged move in his contract-unless it all fell through .

I suspect the Wolves for Carey is most likely with Argyle rejecting the initial bid of 150k-my guess would be that he is valued at about 500k.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I would let any of the Argyle players go for £500k. We have proved we can win without most of them so I don't see how we could turn that down even if I would like them all to stay. Reid I'm not so bothered about.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I see Derek Adams knows Jordan Foster from his time as assistant manager at Hibernian. Hopefully a good sign and better than bringing someone in on the basis of other people's recommendation.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think all his signings from Scotland he has known personally. If he goes on the basis of his personal knowledge then I'd trust his judgement given the results of the players so far.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Does Adams know any strikers and even a spare goalkeeper....that would be helpful.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see Aaron Bentley has been given the hook and released early. He was out of contract in the summer anyway and a long way down Adams' list of players who would feature. Doubt we will save much cash on that one though.

11. notDistantGreen

All those lovely clean sheets have stopped lately. Forster in for Hartley? Or here as cover for Nelson moving on?

12. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Not sure to be honest Hartley was much improved yesterday, especially in the second half where he made some crucial interceptions and clearances. Not sure why the defence looks so frail- it has been pretty much the same all season in terms of personnel. Gary Sawyer is a real steady eddy and you will always get a 6 or 7 out of 10 from him. Nelse is still exceptional though has made more mistakes this season than he ever used to. Hartley the same . Mellor is still the one that worries me most-he can be outstanding esp going forward but still appears to be too light weight. So really Forster's addition we be useful in that the manager will be able to perm any 4 from 5 (assuming no departures. I think the main problem (if it is a problem) is that we are set up to attack especially when Wylde and Tanner are in the team. The team's natural inclination is to attack at pace so occasionally we get exposed at the back. Would much rather it be like this rather than the old days of 7 behind the ball and ponderous tippy tappy build up play. As long as we score one more than the opposition that is all that matters.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Lately the form of McCormick has faltered a little.....those in front of him have been in the past reassured by his presence behind them.....it was noticeable when he was out injured that they missed his voice of authority....now that he is back they haven't quite got to the level they achieved before his injury......although we have been still picking up the points.....just a thought.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Mellor is the one who worries most people lyndhurst. There is some irony when you think about it. Mellor is supposed to be a defender yet he comes alive in the opposite half to the one he is meant to come alive in. He is a liability in his own half and yet a right tricky dicky in the opposing half. You want him going forward to be on the pitch yet when he has to defend you want him as far away from the pitch as you can get.

Hartley is not fit I think or at least he doesn't look it. He was caught out for any pace yesterday although to be fair the Stevenage front line was pretty quick. His clearances have been a bit suspect lately at times as well. Plym goes on about us needing a striker but I think we can score enough. It's at the back we need to tighten up again and become the mean defence we were.

15. notDistantGreen

Seems to me there must be something afoot: don't forget he also has McHugh to play CB if needed.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams when asked if there where anymore transfer news this week.....replied,... not that he knows of before the Bristol Rovers game.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

In the meanwhile......Lee Cox has returned to Stevenage on loan until the end of the season......Adams obviously doesn't want him......when he first came to Argyle we where dead chuffed with him.....how fortunes change.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Nottingham Post has reported that Alan Smith will stay at Notts County and complete hia contract that finishes in the summer.

He is hoping to extend his playing career by impressing County's new manager Jamie Fullarton to offer him a new one in the summer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Deane Smalley has been loaned to Newport County until the end of the season.....probably means that he has played his last game for Argyle...seeing that he will be out of contract in the summer.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just read a story that makes me absolutely fume and even more so when you look at connections behind the scenes. The story is that Cardiff want £5 for Joe Mason given that presumably Wolves have expressed a wish to sign. To think we had to sell him to them for what was next to nothing with obviously no sell on clauses involved at the time. All because a man was on a walking holiday and did us a favour by dropping in to assist us with our Admin. The very same bloke who had a connection with ......Cardiff. If I was a conspiracy theorist I wonder if I could come up with one there. Good job I'm not of course. Wonder if anyone else has a clause in there somewhere. Whilst I don't wish any of the players involved any ill will I don't have the same feelings for the vultures who picked us clean when they could and never turned a hair doing it. That story on top of the Administrator one that says they have been accused of fraudulently billing companies for work not done. Oh how I hope they get screwed as well.