1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Happy OBZ Day....

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, May 24, 2016.

1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I was right behind the goal watching the ball curl into the top corner.

2. Chaz

Chaz Well-Known Member

It's a good job he scored at that end, I doubt his knees would have let him run to the other end of the pitch!

3. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

And a goal being scored looks so much better with a crowd eruption behind it.

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You bastards. I was sitting on a plane somewhere over Russia.

5. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Part time supporter.

6. QPRCate

QPRCate Well-Known Member

I moved house that day, when I finally got to the new house my husband who had gone on before me and is a Liverpool supporter had put my QPR scarf hanging out of the window, that's love in some form!

I only managed to listen to second half on the radio ( we had no TV set up and certainly no Sky conection)whilst unpacking random boxes looking for the kettle and tea cups, trying to appear busy and then OBZ scored I screamed my head off.

The very conservative Cornish moving company thought I had gone mad. My daughters new boyfriend looked scared and wondered why he had come all the way from Bracknell to visit such a looney. And it took my husband the next ten minutes or so to explain to them all the reason for my strange behaviour!

Oh what a day!

rangercol, Uber_Hoop, qprbeth and 5 others like this.
  7. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

It was my Nephew's 15th birthday, so that I now have to wish him happy birthday and happy OBZ day every year. (Also makes it easy for me to not forget his birthday)

8. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

The best legal high I have ever had.

rangercol likes this.
  9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Now banned from midnight tonight

10. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

I remember that image well (and can also lip read)

11. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

yes the best qpr day of my life i had no ticket but i thought so what im still going to go on the march to wembley as i had led the last march in 1985 ithought im going to lead this march two when i arrived everybody said we are not allowed to move before eleven o clock
    then the lads in wetherspoons will be able to liaise with us at the top of the road and then we will wait out side the pavilion at the begining of the route there we can fill up with drinks and use there toilets
    but i wasnt going to have any of it shouting at the top of my voice i rememberd that scene from sparticus
    OK LADS WE ARE MARCHING ON ROME AND WE WILL SMASH EVERY LEGION THAT STANDS AGAINST US
    THEN I POINTED TO ACROSS THE ROAD AND SAID EVERYBODY CROSS THE ROAD
    WE STARTED WITH ONLY ONE HUNDRED
    BUT BY THE END OF THE SOUTH AFRICA WE ALREADY HAD SIX HUNDRED AT THE BIG PUB WHICH IS THE PAVILION
    EVERYONE WAS COMPLAINING BECAUSE SOMEONE HAD PHONED THE WESTHERSPOON
    and now i was going to just let the whole day go as it should finnally on the march there was 6 thousand by the
    torch pub we met up with about another two thousand singers,so about one thousand stayed at the torch and the prawn sandwich bigade all swent to the game while members of the famous r block and some of the old loft boys
    organised the singing which was deafening i think it was the loudest ive ever heard from qpr in 57 seasons it was harrys day really without him i doubt if we woulkd have won,football is all about management and arry redknapp
    was as good as his word he got us up in one season,but it was by the tightest margin imaginable

12. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

QPR fans will moan about anything wont they TED - even on the biggest day for our club

finglasqpr likes this.
  13. qprted

qprted Poet Laureate

well all the battle commanders had said knowbody had better move this march at the wrong time,i had this big hoodie telling me all these famous names so i said well phone them and say that the maniac has taken over that was it really
    next thing i had six thousand fabulous qpr fans behind me some had come from differant countries,iot was a lovely day
    out full of wonderfull memories for me it finnally eclipsed the greatest day of my life wich was clive allens goal against west brom that took us to wembley in 82,that was indeed a fantastic day,but the whole day seemed to be violence violence and more violence starting with 500 from ladbroke grove comming into finsbury park station on a train and the poor old gooners who only had three hundred got a terrible tonking that day
    then the poor old west brom met 700 of our finest and got another tonking,these finals and semi finals should be days when everybody burries the hatchet,that qpr game v derby was special partly because of the way the derby fans took defeat with such dignity
    SADLY I KNOW IF QPR HAD LOST THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN SOME TERRIBLE SCENES OUTSIDE IM HEARING ABOUT THE MAN UTD HAD RUNNING BATTLES WITH THE PALACE AFTER THE GAME ITS WRONG LETS GO TO FOOTBALL TO WATCH AND SING OUR HEARTS

14. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Me too, with my two lads, in the middle section, 6 seats from Fingy!!
    When that ball hit the net, I swear I went temporarily insane, jumping around and hugging everyone and anyone. My youngest was doing the same and my eldest, who was sat a couple of rows down from us was in the gangway, on his knees, thrusting his arms in the air like a loony, till I arrived and joined him like a runaway blue and white train.

I'll never forget those few minutes as long as I live!!

QPRCate and Hoops Eternal like this.
  15. QPRCate

QPRCate Well-Known Member

Reading all your memories of OBZ day and my previous story of why I was not there ( moved bloody miles away and husband arranged moving house date without consultation) I realised, I have never seen QPR play at Wembley.

The FA Cup Final against Spurs, my dad only got two tickets, so of course the youngest most spoilt child gets to go, ( not me obviously) for the replay he got 4 tickets, we drew straws, mum, dad, two sisters and me. Loser was to stay behind and set the VCR! Guess who lost?

No idea of the reason I did not get to go to Milk Cup final in 1986, ( probably youngest and most spoilt child again) but I didn't go. However, I remember after the result walking down the Harrow Road ( we lived in Sudbury Hill) to meet my dad and sister who were walking back home and seeing my dads sad face after such a ridiculous loss!!

My dad has been gone a few years now and I have lots of memories of him, but his face that day on the Harrow Road in 1986, don't think I will ever forget that look!

It's never boring being a QPR supporter.

Hoops Eternal, Wherever and Stroller like this.
  16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Nice one Col. I ended up about 10 rows in front of me. I was jumping around like a 10 yr old for about 10 mins after the goal. Never forget the day. Went back to HQ and ended up dancing in the 'Connie', and i don't dance. <party>

17. MelburnIAN

MelburnIAN Well-Known Member

Got the train back to Beaconsfield; a couple of sad Derby fans were on the train.

Walked into a well old country pub in Beac, the landlord commented on how exciting the end of the match was and paid for my round of drinks - nice bloke.

Back at the table, I mentioned this to the crew. How did he know? I asked. Did I have my program sticking out of my pocket?

No. You have the black and red hooped top on. MelburnIAN, you plonker

QPRCate likes this.
  18. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

I've seen them all except the '67 League cup final, so the play off final was the first time I've seen us win at Wembley.

QPRCate likes this.
  19. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Me too, I was approaching my first birthday when Mark scored the winner.

20. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Showing my age but I was at Wembley for the 67 final as a 6 year old but remember very little about it, although I'm sure that's TED dressed up as the ghost on the march to Wembley, not to be confused with a member of the KKK<laugh>.....missed 86 as we had brought out first house a year or so earlier and couldn't afford to go........

Went to both 82 matches, wouldn't have been to disheartened if we'd lost the original game as we were poor, but gutted to lose the reply when we were brilliant, did everything but score.........no not quite right, we did score but wrongly ruled out by a later discredited ref........

OBZ day we live with me until my dying day......

QPRCate likes this.