1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Harold Needler.. the man who saved Hull City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TIGERSCAVE, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Harold Needler, the man who wanted to change Hull City's name (in fact lengthen it - would never have made it as a businessman), change the colours and the badge. Another Allam.<laugh>

Once saw a model of the proposed stadium in the boardroom at BP. England's decision to play all internationals at Wembley scuppered any thoughts of an 80,000 stadium. Derby had plans for a 70,000 stadium which were abandoned for the same reason. Once read an article where someone involved with the design of the San Siro said the idea for the towers there cane from the plans for the proposed Derby Ground. Port Vale planned a 70,000 one as well but only got part way on one side, which is why for a long time the teams used through a tunnel halfway up the terracing.
    Harold Needler was not entirely benevolent. There was an article on a City site stating how his development of BP in the 1960s funded through the shares in his company was, at a time of night taxes and a large tax bill due, and the works which went to his companies and the materials supplied by his companies, anagnificent bit of tax avoidance which saw him better off.
    My dad was once talking to him in a non-football related environment in the 1950sand he said to him he would have happily given up nearly every thing he had just to see .city in the top flight for a season.Which made it odd that Terry Neill didn't get a bit more to spend in his first seasons here.

3. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Economic hard times after sixties boom?
    Neill not as astute as Britton in spotting talent?
    School fees for Christopher?

4. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

I remember reading you discussing this previously - fascinating stuff.

So, I'll put out the call again - does anyone have any images/plans of this superstadium, model or can anyone put some meat on this stadium based bone?

5. Barchullona

Loss of interest in his latter years?

Disappointment he was still paying school fees for his son who was born in 1944?

6. City Man

The image in the article is it I think.
    Unless someone somewhere has the model Castro says he saw?

Various owners at BP used to junk stuff like that

7. City Man

Christopher did seem a bit thick.

Look up "Christopher Needler Step 01" on YouTube to see him now

8. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Do you remember the night we were beating Blackurn ? 2-0 at half time and the game was abandoned due to fog... that season promotion might have been lost there.

9. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

I think it is it too - but would be good to see the full plans/model (if possible).

10. Barchullona

That artist's impression is the only other representation of it that I have seen. The Kempton terracing was only the first level of what would have been a triple decker stand with the largest capacity of any stand in the country.
    The model, from memory, looked slightly different to that illustration.
    There is a poster on here who saw it at the same time as me. It was still about a few years later when he was a guest when he sponsored a match. If he reads this he may have further info.
    Though.what value would the model be to a regime which tried to get away with selling the Hull City nameplate and replacing it with a plastic one?

Leon T Trout AFC likes this.

11. Barchullona

He qualified as a chartered accountant, which to be fair, isn't that easy. Harder than getting a degree in media studies. Deeply unpleasant person is the impression I got after a few encounters with him.

12. City Man

The plan was for extra 7,000 seats on the East side of the ground, above the existing terracing.

13. Barchullona

Yes, I was there for it and the replayed game.Thatvwas the only reason .I ever thought we would go up until recent years. I thought we were on our way after The Battle Of Bramall Lane. Typically,City had their highest home gate of the season for the next home game with only a handful of Oxfordvthans there and were beaten. The last time we got over 25,000 for a league game and a crowd which won't be surpassed until the KC is expanded.

14. City Man

I beg to differ.
    26/12/ 71 SAFC (h) att 26,091 L2-3

or if you prefer, in not606 style:
    "Silly ****, you know **** all, yes they have"

DMD likes this.
  15. Barchullona

Oh, yes. Forgot about that one with thousands of Sunderland fans there meaning we had nearly twice as many there as out our previous home game, 13,532, and over twice as many as our next home game,12,678.

Still not larger thanthe Oxford attendance. Though another one that won't be beaten until,if ever, the KC is extended.

16. City Man

Boxing day game- back then always very well attended, regardless
    24399 v SWFC on 26/12/70

17. Barchullona

Maybe mentions of the largest stand werein relation to the physical,size rather than the capacity? Though I would have thought it would be more if they were going to get the capacity up to 80,000, especially as the options on the WestbStand side were limited.

18. City Man

"When all these developments have been completed at Boothferry Park the ground capacity will be over 60 000, of which 25,000 will be seated and a further 25, 000 under cover." - Harold Needler

19. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Also Harold Needler turned down a significant offer from Lord Hanson and his consortium in the hey days of the Raich Carter reign. Hamson wanted to invest in the club and Harold turned down their offer.
    Harold's 'gift' of shares to the club in the early 60's did light the flames of one of the best periods in the club's history and saw major development of the stadium but it ceased with the signing of Terry Neill which looking back was quite modest.
    Neill was only allowed to strengthen the side with Knighton and Baxter with the cash from the FA Cup run and we had to wait until the March to get those two. The 'investment was £10k for Bill Baxter and, from memory about £50k for Knighton.
    Very little was spent on the ground after the South Stand was built and when the ownership of the club was put into the hands of Chris Needler the club and ground saw little or no investment at all. In fact the Kempton road car park was sold, part of the main car park sold as well as the knocking down the imposing North Stand to build a tiny supermarket and all the club houses disappeared off the balance sheet.
    Harold Needler saw a couple of good seasons with Carter and a couple more under Brittain and half a good seaon under Neill but his investment was never quite enough, at least he tried.

20. Barchullona

The original intention was for an 80,000 capacity with a triple decker stand down the the East side.

Either way, 60,000 or 80,000, it is a good job they didn't come to fruition. Imagine 2,000 there.
    All the talk of needing a 40,000stadium is a bit unrealistic when, as Chazz said, after waiting for over 100 years for top flight football, the novelty wears off after one season and a city of over 250,000 with another 500,000 for whom we are the nearest club, can't fill a 25,000 stadium in the PL every week.