1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Has the "Wenger Youth" project failed?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Mar 26, 2017.

?

Has the "Wenger Youth" project failed?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I was wondering this after our poor representation of the England team and realised that the Wenger hype of creating an all England core and a sustainable youth project for the future has not worked. Our most talented English player Wilshere has been loaned out to Bournemouth and is struggling to get games and has figures of just 2 assists after 25 games. Gibbs can't get a game over Monreal, OXO (Southhampton youth player) is somehow playing over better players in Campbell (who's left) and Perez. You can say the same thing for Walcott (Southhampton youth player) too. I've lost track of all the "potentials" over the years to only be farmed off to the 1st division. The only real good youth player we have is Bellerin and he's a product of the Barca youth system.

It's disappointing that our academy haven't produced one player that can justify a place in our 1st team.

Do you think it has succeeded or needs a major overhaul?

2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Delete the word 'youth' from your topic title and I'd say 'yes'

3. lazarus20000

Ultimately he's failed in his overall project but the youth project was one of his fundamental strategies that was going to help Arsenal compete with the best. Fast forward and Wenger's gone the same way as the rest and brought players in.

At the end of the day like everything else, it was used to get us top 4 and nothing else. Not one English player that represented our youth teams has either survived or become core regulars. Our current regime has been exposed for the most money grabbing hyping shisters that they are.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Hmm depends.. Bellerin and Iwobi are regulars in the first team. They are just not English.

I think with a better strength and conditioning team at Arsenal Wilshere would have been far more successful. Chamberlain is good enough for England he's just maybe not good enough for Arsenal. Gibbs is a decent squad player - just not quite top class.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. lazarus20000

Bellerin is the real deal but the jury is out on Iwobi. If it wasn't for Wenger's bizarre decision of moving Campbell on, Iwobi would have struggled to get in. I'm also annoyed that Gnabry was moved on too without really showing what he can do. If OXO was given so many chances then why haven't either Campbell or Gnabry? Wenger sure does have his favorites!

The jury is also out on Wilshere, he needs to up his game and stay fit for consistent periods before being considered for any top PL side. At the moment he needs to build up his career and show that he can do it, potential is nothing without end product. He needs to justify all the hype that's come with him.