1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hillsborough match commander charged with manslaughter...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Jun 28, 2017.

1. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

If it is proved he did, then he will be charged at the very least with perverting the course of justice, which is quite a serious offence.

AlRawdah likes this.
  2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

3. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

David Conn‏ @david_conn
    BREAKING: Hillsborough Trial: The jury has NOT reached a verdict on the manslaughter charge against ex Ch Supt David Duckenfield. Graham Mackrell, ex Sheffield Wednesday secretary, has been found GUILTY of the charge of breaching his safety duty re the number of turnstiles.

4. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

David Conn‏ @david_conn
    BREAKING: Hillsborough: The Crown Prosecution Service has said that it WILL seek a RETRIAL of the former Ch Supt David Duckenfield for gross negligence manslaughter, after the jury in this trial failed to reach a verdict.

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

David Conn ‏@david_conn
    BREAKING: Judge Sir Peter Openshaw has set a £6,500 fine, £5,000 costs, for Graham Mackrell, convicted as the Sheffield Wednesday safety officer for dangerous turnstile arrangements on the day 96 people supporting Liverpool died at the 1989 FA Cup semi final.

6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Apparently that was based on only having 7 turnstiles open. Don't think lessons were learned. How many turnstiles were open when we took thousands there? Though, going by other occasions, that could be down to the inept sods at Humberside Police telling them to only expect about a quarter of the amount that went.

7. East_Stand_Always

East_Stand_Always Active Member

I remember the game at Wednesday and I turned up around 6.30. Even then there was quite a wait getting into the ground. I worked in Sports Ground Safety at the time and told a senior steward they would need to open more turnstiles. They just shrugged their shoulders. As soon as the game was announced as pay on the gate there was massive interest and it just increased all the way up to the day of the game. It was a watershed moment. After playing games at the likes of Boston, Lincoln, Luton and Mansfield city were at a ground with real history and a Sheffield Wednesday team which had played recently in the top flight. How nobody saw the foresaw the amount of fans arriving that night I do not know.

8. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

There were four open that night, and the others were closed because 'we have no change'. I tackled one of the uninterested policeman on duty about it.
    They eventually opened up another two blocks, did away with the change and rounded up admission to what ever note you had.

9. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Some of the turnstile attendants that night are resident on the Isle of Man now .

10. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

£6.5k fine. Little wonder one the victims families went absolutely nuts on TV. Didn't Mackrell admit that he was too busy brown-nosing the corporate guests to worry about what was going on outside. And he's still working in some capacity for the FA. Says it all. A £ucking disgrace.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.

11. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

David Conn ‏@david_conn
    BREAKING: Hillsborough: A retrial has been ordered of the manslaughter charge against ex South Yorkshire police Ch Supt David Duckenfield, who was in command of the 1989 FA Cup semi final at which 96 people were killed. Trial due to start 7 October.

12. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

13. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

The trial and everything else happened far too late

14. Quill

Quill Bastard

Whilst it is wrong to put all of the blame on a single person, as many factors contributed to Hillsborough, the fact that there will never actually be any person held accountable is completely wrong.

It is, and I hate to sound cringy, an injustice for the 96, and their families and friends will never have full closure.

TwoWrights likes this.
  15. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

Why would you think that would sound cringy?

askewshair likes this.
  16. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Surely his salary included an element to cover the fact he was the 'accountable' person?

west stand stiffs likes this.
  17. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

18. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

askewshair and Edelman like this.
  19. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Whilst swaying enough of the public into it's way of thinking to carry on

dennisboothstash likes this.
  20. ThunderCityAFC

ThunderCityAFC Well-Known Member

I was at a Sheff Wed v Man Utd game just before this happened. We got a train from Hull and we were 'kettled' with a whole load of deaf Man Utd fans. Our train from Hull arrived in Sheffield at 12.00. The Police bussed us directly to the ground, penned us in at Leppings Lane entrance and told us we had to stand in the pissing rain for two and a half hours till the turnstiles opened. The deaf guys tried to tell the police they were hungry and thirsty. You know what happened next. Yep! **** all. I tried to tell the policemen that my tickets were for the best stand because a relative in Sheffield had bought them for us, You know what happened next. Yep! **** all. Me and my wife and a lot of deaf Man Utd fans all went ****ing hungry and got ****ing soaking wet. You all went to that Tuesday night game when 8000 of us turned up. How **** was that. End of the day, 96/7 Liverpool fans died because SYP ****ed up big style. It could've happened to me, my wife and a load of deaf blokes the week before. History will record that we were all drunk.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021