1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hilton looking to open new Hull hotel...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Apr 11, 2015.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Hilton looking to open new Hull hotel, with LA's site an option

please log in to view this image

LUXURY hotel chain Hilton has confirmed it is looking to open a new site in Hull city centre.

The Mail understands the company is considering a number of locations around the city, including the former Lexington Avenue nightclub site in Ferensway.

Hilton is a large international brand that has more than 550 hotels in 78 countries.

A spokesman for Hilton Hotels said: "Hilton Worldwide is in an exciting phase of growth and we are looking at many locations around the UK to introduce various brands from our portfolio.

"Hull is a destination that has attracted our interest and we are reviewing a number of sites in the city, though nothing has been confirmed at this early stage."

In February, Hull City Council revealed it was in negotiations with a private developer to transform the empty plot of land in Ferensway into a 118-bed hotel.

Councillor Terry Geraghty, chairman of Hull Culture and Leisure, said the city's popular tourist attractions have helped to draw in big investors.

Cllr Geraghty said: "Getting more and more good quality hotels like this coming into the area is a sign that these businesses see the city as a good investment.

"It signals good news because these companies wouldn't be investing in Hull if they didn't think it had a very good future."

The shortage of hotel accommodation in the city centre has been a growing concern for those involved in organising events for UK City of Culture 2017.

Cllr Geraghty said it is vital Hull attracts businesses that are willing to invest in building hotels in the city as millions more visitors are expected to flock to Hull in the coming years.

He said: "I would absolutely agree that the lack of good quality accommodation may have put people off visiting, but I don't think we have marketed ourselves very well in the past.

"The city is now a completely different place to what it was 20 or 30 years ago.

"We are no longer just a fishing industry port and people are starting to see that we have more and more to offer.

"Investments from large hotels like this prove that and our great museums, theatres and galleries have played a big role in making that happen."

Separate plans are being considered to build a new boutique hotel in a converted former bank in the Old Town.

In the past year Hull has also welcomed its first hostel, which is providing budget accommodation for visitors from across the UK and abroad.

The Hull Trinity Hostel opened at the start of this year and has already attracted travellers from across the globe including the US, Chile, Sri Lanka and Australia.

Hostel owner Niccolas Irvin believes there is a lack of affordable accommodation in the city.

Speaking to the Mail earlier this month he said: "I think a lot of people have been put off coming to Hull because a lot of the accommodation is very expensive. We need to provide better quality accommodation if we want to attract the crowds."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hilt...tory-26314954-detail/story.html#ixzz3Wzvdy5GO

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

3. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It was a joke. No need for the sensitivity. <doh>

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I'm not sensitive. <laugh>

I've gone all Northen Soul this morning...

6. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I believe Sonny Nagra has something to do with this.

7. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

In related new-stuff-in-town-news, I bought a bag of wild rocket from the new Sainsburys today.

Alas, as new places emerge, old ones go, and Starbucks on that corner is not long for this earth.

I think steadily, very steadily, empty premises and derelict sites are starting to see tenancies in town now.

I noticed the foundations are in for that building a the dry-dock on the marina, and they've been spray painting numbers and lines all over the paths in town, presumably in preparation for the 'facelift'.

Exciting times.

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

A couple of pics...

Girt Bucket and Party Hull! like this.
  9. Party Hull!

It's nice to see things coming out the ground now, and that's an interesting and unique project.

There's still a lot of things being talked about that I can't say I have huge confidence in seeing being realised, at least not in the short term, but things are moving now.

Also, the graveyard on the corner of the Castle Street/A63 junction is boarded up, presumably in readiness for the exhumation of some zombies.

Anyone who hasn't been to Hull for a while may be interested to see the developments currently going on at the moment. Sangwin even bought a massive crane to prepare for the expected influx on work (see HDM).

I like to keep a keen eye on it all.

10. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I'm a bit out the loop - what's being built there?

I saw the news regarding Sainsburys and Starbucks. Still don't understand why Pizza Hut closed - it was always busy.

11. The greengrocer

The greengrocer Well-Known Member

You'd have thought Hilton would have looked at somewhere near the marina? A lot better when you open your hotel curtains and you see boats rather then what's across the road on ferensway!

12. Party Hull!

13. Party Hull!

There was talk of the Council offices on the riverbank, behind Lion & Key (I think the Council are still in it, and are vacating soon, they may have already gone...) being demolished and a Hilton going there. At least, I'm sure I heard that.

Also apartments were touted for it. I'm afraid I don't know what the plans for it currently are.

14. Oregon Tiger

Oregon Tiger Well-Known Member

Hilton hotels are very variable. I have stayed in some dire ones over the years and also some really good ones.

15. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

i agree on Ferensway being a bit of a **** place for a posh hotel , Marina is barely any better tho as the caaansil still cant get a sodding bridge across Castle Street .

I also noticed the scribblings all over the pavements - i was hoping it was our bid for a F1 track in 2017 :)

Girt Bucket and Cortez91 like this.
  16. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

that mud looks super!

17. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

It does,i might bathe in there,it's meant to be very good for the skin.

18. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It would be great if they could build a hotel incorporating the old Edwin Davis store, it could make a fantasic reception/restaurant/bar/conference building with a new tower for the rooms.

19. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

The only worrying aspect of this good news story is that Terry Geraghty is still chairman of Hull Culture and Leisure.

20. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Niccolas Irvin, wonder if that's the same one who started the Airco for All campaign?