1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How poor is the Championship?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by GLP, Feb 1, 2011.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

All the newly promoted league one teams in the top 10!

Norwich 2nd
    Leeds 6th
    Milwall 8th

I don't think it's the notion of teams carrying momentum, as you would always likely get 1 or 2 strugglers adjusting to life in a more challenging division. I think it's just a really poor championship this season.

2. fishthetiger

fishthetiger Member

I still believe momentum helps. Is it a poor championship or just the fact most teams can beat each other?

We didn't complain when a poor championship resulted in us being promoted? I'm loving the championship, it's league that is capable of shocks.

3. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

I prefer to call it 'The Best League in the World' for all kinds of reasons. * Still connected to the fans on the ground (just). Competitive. Entertaining. Unpredictable. Striving for a valuable financial prize however deluded this may be. Distinctive matchday atmosphere largely devoid of tiger suits and facepaint. Away match enjoyment. On the whole a mercinary-free zone. Long may it continue!

4. Boothferry2Wembley

Boothferry2Wembley Well-Known Member

Almost full houses for most matches, who needs the prem. If premier league status is achieved again I'll be able to cope with it but I am happy enough with were we are. I am not interested in the slightest in our new fans from outer mongolia who watch us on sky.
    I would not want to see the club overreach itself financially to achieve premiership status. Sometimes what is best for the football club is not always best for its loyal fan base. As we have already found out.

5. CumbrianTiger

CumbrianTiger Member

All the newly promoted sides over achieving, im sure you can say this for the premiership?? Are you saying that league is poor this year?

Even so i for one are happy if the leagues are poorer, if it means they are much more competitive and anyone can beat any one. None of this boring SPL ****e.

6. galvinshuffle

galvinshuffle New Member

I don't think you can really say whether or not any league is poor/great compared to other seasons. On what would you base this and how would you make a comparison??

The nucleus of teams in the Championship this year are those that were there last year with the obvious exception of the promoted/relegated teams. I personally don't think there is much difference between the lower half of the Championship and upper half of league 1. It is certainly not the massive divide there is between the Championship and the Prem. The promoted teams will have momentum and will presumably strengthen their squads especially the 'bigger' teams like (it pains me to say this!) L***s and Norwich with recent PL history.

It is certainly an interesting league and much more open and exciting than the Prem. City were looking over their shoulders at relegation early in the season now we are considering the top 6.

7. MattTheTiger

MattTheTiger Well-Known Member

BALDERDASH! The league isn't poor at all, its hugely exiting this year! The fact that anyone from Coventry upwards has a realistic chance in promotion (providing they go on a good run) is hugely exiting! Even the premier league isnt exiting as that. Sure they have bigger players but there's only 5 teams atm than can compete for a champions league place in my eyes. This championship could be one of the most exiting leagues i've seen in a long while!

8. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

For large swathes of the season the 3 promoted teams have all been above the 3relegated teams. Financial incompetance have hamstrung us and Pompey and Burnley's kryptonite was Brian Laws. I think momentum goes a long way.

9. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP. Yes it is entertaining but I do think the standard is very low this year. The top teams have poor squads, you can pick one or two players from each of the top teams who are decent but with the exception of Cardiff there's no really strong squads with strength and strength in depth. As galvinshuffle has said, it'd be impossible to judge but just going by the players and my opinions of them, that's all you can do really.

This is why I think it's a good chance for us to go up this year, unfortunately though we can't score goals :/

10. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

* Exciting* sorry matt but the fact that you did numerous times was a little annoying