1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Just a reminder...

Tiger Rags – The Fabric of Hull City AFC

please log in to view this image

See player-worn kits and memorabilia spanning football club’s 110-year history.

A group of lifelong football fans have worked together to ensure their beloved Hull City plays a part in the Hull UK City of Culture 2017 celebrations.

The group is putting the final touches to plans for an exhibition of classic Tigers’ kits, which will go on display from Monday 3 July.

Tiger Rags – The Fabric of Hull City AFC will run from Monday 3 July to Tuesday 2 October at the Streetlife Museum of Transport, in Hull’s Museums’ Quarter, off High Street. Entry will be free.

The exhibition is part of Hull 2017’s Creative Communities Programme.

Les Motherby, author of Hull City Kits blog and an avid hoarder of memorabilia, has brought together a number of local collectors to exhibit their prized player-worn shirts, which are on public display for the first time.

Les said: “Hull City may not have a glorious, trophy-laden past, but they have an interesting history regardless, one that means a lot to Tigers supporters.

“Shirts worn by players are the ultimate physical representation of that history, they evoke memories of past players, games and seasons.

“Hopefully the club will have their own museum one day but, until then, this exhibition, part of the Creative Communities Programme for Hull 2017, offers a chance for people to celebrate the visual identity of Hull City.”

Councillor Terry Geraghty, portfolio holder for Culture and Leisure and Chair of Hull Culture & Leisure, said: “Over the years, Hull City have grown to become an integral part of the fabric of the city and its identity. The club is loved by locals and recognised all around the world.

“We are delighted to be working with Les Motherby by hosting the Tiger Rags exhibition, an individual Hull 2017 community project, at the Streetlife Museum, enhancing the experience further. I am sure it will prove a huge hit with visitors, supporters and residents alike.”

The Tiger Rags exhibition has two themes, Plurality Of Polyester and International Tigers.

Plurality Of Polyester will run from Monday 3 July to Sunday 3 September, followed by International Tigers from Monday 4 September to Monday 2 October.

The first two months will focus on kit design, with examples of different styles on display. As well as shirts from the 1980s, examples will also commemorate teams from 2008, 2014 and 2016, when the Tigers reached Wembley finals.

There’s also a UEFA rule-compliant match shirt from City’s brief, but memorable, foray into European competition.

From Monday 4 September to Monday 2 October, the exhibition switches to International Tigers.

The last month of Tiger Rags acknowledges the part played by footballers from all over the world during Hull City’s rise from the basement division to the Premier League, with a display of shirts worn by international players who have come to Hull to play for the team.

Martin Green, CEO and director of Hull 2017, added: “Hull City are woven into the fabric of the city’s cultural identity, so it is great to have such an amazing collection of memorabilia on display as part of Hull 2017.”

• Exhibited items will inevitably evoke memories, and Tiger Rags organisers would like to ask visitors to share those memories on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #TigerRags
    • An audio description of the exhibition will be available for people to download on to their mobile devices from www.hullcitykits.co.uk
    • Streetlife Museum of Transport is free and open Monday to Saturday, 10am-5pm, and Sunday, 11am-4.30pm.
    https://www.hull2017.co.uk/discover/article/tiger-rags-exhibition-fabric-hull-city-afc/

2. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The first six months...

3. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

please log in to view this image

So 30% don't think it's having a positive impact?

Dickheads.

HHH, DarbyDays, DMD and 4 others like this.
  4. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry that 30% will be moaning twats that never go more than 300 yards from their home.

brownbagtiger likes this.
  5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

6. Dills double deckers

Dills double deckers Well-Known Member

miserable unimaginative twats

7. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

8. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I just got 2 £70 for £40 :emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

10. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

Sounds like war of the worlds

Leon T Trout AFC likes this.

11. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

How do they know how many people visit both attractions?

12. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Count them in for the Maritime and Ferens? Comparing same period this year versus last. Though I'm sure your question was tongue in cheek!

13. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I was really pleased that the people put together an excellent bid for us to be designated as the City of Culture.

I was really looking forward to seeing how it developed.

The first stages, such as the show on Ferens and City Hall,were excellent, far better than I imagined. The follow up to that has been first rate.

Yes, there will be some things I don't want to take part in, and yes, there will be some bits that don't go smoothly, but all in all, I think those involved deserve a massive pat on the back for the various things they've helped put together.

The City really does feel a better place, and long may that continue.

The naysayers will catch up eventually, but some are happy whining, leave them to get their pleasure their way.

14. Chilton's Hundreds

Chilton's Hundreds Well-Known Member

I was thinking more The Forbidden Planet

15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I just wish I'd been able to see more. I've seen quite a few bits and pieces but I've also missed an awful lot.

It does seem to have given the City a huge lift. It's a middle fingered salute to people like that no mark on Talksport who said it would be an abject failure.

Kempton and DMD like this.
  16. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Keith Waterhouse once said that round figures came from the Ministry of Guesswork.

Obadiah likes this.
  17. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I think one danger is that they've done such a fantastic job, and there's so much on offer, us locals become blasé to it. Still, evenm if that happens, the tourists can enjoy it, and we can enjoy other City's looking on in envy, and certain commentators tucking in to humble pie.

dennisboothstash, Kempton and GLP like this.
  18. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

It can't have been anything positive for the city. If nothing else it has seen improvements brought about which in all honesty should have been done a long time ago. It has also got the people of Hull out and visiting attractions and parts of the city they have never bothered with despite them being on their doorstep. This will hopefully result in a more interesting, varied social scene especially at night.

I think people being upset by the 30% in the survey aren't considering the question. It asks if C of C has had a positive effect on their lives. If has certainly had a positive effect on the city but for them as individuals on Bransholme, OPE and Hessle Road and other areas it may have been enjoyable but made no difference to their everyday lives.

The interesting thing will be to see if in years to come visitor numbers to attractions and the numbers of visitors coming to the city maintain the levels seen during the year Hull was C of C.

19. mplooney

mplooney Well-Known Member

Some interesting stuff on Look North this lunchtime. Hull City Council have asked Martin Green to carry on with the City of Culture Company for the next three years - on the basis that until somewhere else is appointed, Hull remains the UK City of Culture. Green is now looking for another £10m to continue the initiative next year. If he brings that off we could really cement our position as a first rate tourist/cultural centre.

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's a very good move, the bloke is obviously very good at what he does.

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.