1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Hull City v Wolves

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Worked in Leeds late 60s, early 70s. Used to go to midweek games and occasional Saturday games if City weren't playing or there was an away match I couldn't get to. Same when I worked in Birmingham, went to games there. Liked football in general in those days, unlike now. And it was a cheap afternoon or night out innthose days.
    Used to support the other team at Elland Road, or more accurately, stand with their fans most times except for European games. Even stood amongst Wednesday once in a Cup replay, which would surprise anyone who has heard my opinions of Wednesday ever since I first encountered their fans as a City fan in 1970-71 season.

2. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

I think that's a good point, John, but for the second goal his defending was as bad as I've seen; he seemed to have zero awareness and the move was neither classy or pacey, just downright attacking.

3. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Second goal was a total capitulation by the entire defence. Hector let the Wolves big man run past him unchallenged when he could have taken him down outside the box - run the risk of a card, but totally acceptable. Dawson then had the chance to head clear. It was at perfect heading height to put out for a corner, for some reason unbeknown to anyone Dawson ducked, Aina was ball watching and Jota had a simple tap in.

4 defenders all equally culpable for allowing such a soft goal in. Each and everyone of them failed to deal with it when they had the chance.

4. yorkys

yorkys Active Member

Ball went out of play in the build up asst ref never gave it should never have got that far

hullmel58 likes this.
  5. lewisc29

lewisc29 Idiot

I haven't seen the replay but at the time, I thought that was the only one he got right.

6. Barchullona

I remember arriving back in the local pub after the Cardiff game which saw us promoted with my eldest lad, who missed out on the Wembley game with in 2008 due to family problems. He was born in Hull but we moved before he started school.
    He announced to the Man Utd, Liverpool and .Chelsea "supporters" in there that no matter how many trophies their teams won they would never, ever have the feeling he had after seeing his local team achieve something.
    My two lads have exasperated me down the years many times but the fact they both support the club from the city where they were born despite moving before starting school and being surrounded by kids who supported the big name clubs during their school years pleases me no end. The fact they chose to without me ramming it down their throats that you should support your local team chuffs me even more.And reassures me I haven't been a total failure as a father.

7. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Agreed, but you play to the whistle. What followed was a failure by each and every member of our defence, it's quite comical watching the re run on Sky.

8. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Don't disagree, but my point was addressing the lack of defensive awareness of Clark, which is different from a lapse of quality from proven defenders.

9. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

In that goal it was all 4 defenders. But yes full backs are a particular concern. They weren't helped by the formation and team selection either though.

10. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention Rochdale. Coming home from London after seen City lose at Brentford 2-1 (last game of season, promotion year under Peter Taylor). Geezer gets onto the train. Think it was in Peterboro. He's wearing a blue shirt. I'm with couple of City fans. Got chatting to this lad. Rochdale fan he was, been to Cambridge or somewhere that day. Lived in Newcastle, but followed Rochdale, home and away because his dad was a Dale fan and that was his club. What a diamond bloke. A genuine football geezer. That on a train full of plastic, glory hunting Chelsea 'fans' from places in the north.

Newland Tiger likes this.

11. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

At the very least I expect to see a fullback demonstrate that he knows how to be a fullback. Aina does, but not well enough; Clark doesn't.

This would be spotted if we threw two jumpers on the ground and got the tea lady to pick the teams. Sometimes things get analysed to death and it means **** all except the blatantly obvious.

12. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

I was in the south stand in a line with the line and I did not think it went out.

13. Barchullona

There was a lad in my local a few years back who was a Huddersfield rugby league fan. They were doing terrible but he followed them home and away. Used to say to the Man U fans and the rest of them that only me and him could talk to each other about games we had seen the previous weekend.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  14. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

I never knew that! I thought it was only available if you signed up for Tigers TV & for the live games, I'll be on this regularly now, cheers Syd.<cheers><badger>

15. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Dawson didn't duck the cross - the ball was 2 or 3 feet to his left as he was moving towards the ball crosser and the ball came across at some pace. Henriksen was the one ball watching - he should have realized Aina got a knock only 20 seconds earlier and not left him with 2 to mark - one in the centre of the 6-yard boxl and one at the far post. Aina correctly tried to move in to mark the closest man to the ball carrier, who should have been Henriksen's responsibility.
    Going back a few frames, if anything Clark should have cut out the man on the ball so that Hector didn't need to "take him out" as you put it. He made the right decision not to nail him - a man down (the risk assessment) at that stage of the game would have been a certain loss for City.
    Intelligent play by Hector.
    Conclusion - Henriksen blew it as a result of Clark's inability to close the wide man down. IMO.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  16. HullCityInEurope

HullCityInEurope Well-Known Member

Hector was playing left back for that goal, because he had to cover for Clark

17. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

You do have to sign up but it's free to join. :)

No worries!

18. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

I'm already a member from years ago, but I thought it was only if you'd paid the money. Anyway, sorted now.<cheers>

SydneyTiger14 likes this.
  19. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

all ifs and buts really, it was very terrible from a few players

surely we will see a new player in shortly right?

20. mauled1904

mauled1904 Well-Known Member

Which one, he was marking two all game

dennisboothstash likes this.