1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull in the top 50 Urban Places to live according to the Sunday Times

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by GLP, Mar 6, 2015.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Hull in top 50 Best Urban Places to Live list – Sunday Times

HULL has been named as one of the best urban places to live by The Sunday Times.

It marks the latest development in the city's dramatic transformation.

Back in 2003, the city was named as the worst place to live in the country in the book Crap Towns. It has also regularly been bottom of the league tables for health and education.

Exactly where Hull features on the new list will not be known until the weekend, but news of its inclusion has been welcomed in the city.

Hull City Council leader Councillor Stephen Brady believes the latest accolade is well deserved.

He said: "We are leaving behind the past view of Hull, which was once known as the crap town.

"I don't think it's any accident we are now in such a list as this with all the investment around Siemens and UK City of Culture.

"People are now realising it is a good place to live. It has an exciting future with huge potential for jobs and good-quality, cheap homes.

"We are fighting previous preconceptions and people realise where Hull is on the map.

"The pride is coming back and people want to live here."

Five locations in Yorkshire have been named in the top 50 Best Urban Places to Live by The Sunday Times.

The latest list comes in part two of The Sunday Times Best Places to Live guide. The annual supplements combine data and statistics such as crime rates, house prices and school performance.

Region-wide marketing group Bondholders promotes the city.

Chairman Peter Aarosin said: "This is a testament to what has happened over the past few years of rebuilding the city's reputation.

"People here have gained pride in the place they live.

"When you combine an increase in pride, good affordable housing and businesses being innovative, you improve wellbeing and wealth creation. Success breeds success. Being on this list is fantastic and very positive."

Along with Hull, Headingley and Roundhay in Leeds, Ecclesall in Sheffield and York are included in the Sunday Times list.

An overall urban winner and three runners-up will be chosen. The rest of the list is not ranked.

The locations were selected for combining the best of city life such as culture, cafés, restaurants and shops, nightlife and entertainment, as well as access to good schools and transport links.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull...tory-26126697-detail/story.html#ixzz3TbkNAsdd

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

How many urban places are there?

4. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It's anywhere with a population of over 10,000, so there must be hundreds of them.

5. x

x Well-Known Member

my money says that having a premier league team has made a huge difference to the perceptions.

6. Devontiger

Devontiger New Member

This is positive news. Iam very proud to be born and bred in Hull. I left home on 1981 to join the Navy and soon found that all matelots loved Hull for its pubs, clubs and down to earth people. I have lived in Plymouth now since 1981 but still come up regular to see family friends and my beloved Hull City.
    My Plymouth family travel up regular also and love the place.
    Hull has had lots of unfair publicity and the Southern media love to knock us but I know generally the people who I have met who have been to Hull love it.
    I left the Navy after 26 years and during that time my City shirts have been worn all over the world. I even swapped one in the Maracana Stadium in Rio for a Brazilian National shirt and the lady actually approached me for the swap.
    I wore one on West Palm Beach in Florida and it helped me pull a Hooters Waitress, great night. Yes very proud Hull boy.⚓️⚽️

7. ElTigre

ElTigre Well-Known Member

Top 50? That's damning with faint praise.

8. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

someone should tell all the city supporters that do not live in hull.including me ha!!

9. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

But of a piss take that Bdverley isn't on that list.

If it wasn't for Eric I'd move there.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  10. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

is it a particular part of Hull or the whole city ? i ask as those listed alongside Hull are districs of urban sprawl .

My picks would be

Newland Park
    Anlaby Park
    Garden Village
    and the Avenues

11. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

Just goes to show what a load of bollox such polls are; one year we're Britain's Crappest Town, but a couple of years later we get a bit of (well-deserved) publicity as a result of the City Of Culture award and suddenly we're cool?

Perception is everything. What a load of ****e it all is.

DMD and HHH like this.
  12. Siegfried's cat

Siegfried's cat Active Member

Reading the story I saw a link to a HDM article about the visit of the US ambassador. Within that article the ambassador mentions that mathematician John Venn (who Venn Diagrams are named after) came from Hull. I know it wont interest a lot of people, but I'd never heard that before.

Polly13 likes this.
  13. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

Hull - Tiger of Culture.

The old buffer was on to summat, after all.

Polly13 likes this.
  14. Polly13

Polly13 Well-Known Member

I have made a Venn diagram. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post it on here, so I'll have to describe it.

It has two circles: one entitled "People who read the Hull Daily Mail but who didn't know Venn diagrams were invented in Hull"; the other entitled "People who use the not606Hull City forum but who didn't know Venn diagrams were invented in Hull".

There's only one person in the intersection :emoticon-0102-bigsm

15. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

he was celebrated on Google UK search page last year - i think thats when it was probably first widely discussed

16. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

Well yeh most people are extremely shallow and the media and politicians use and manipulate those prejudices and that ignorance to their advantage.

Polly13 likes this.
  17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

We came 23rd, the highest placed area in Yorkshire, Durham was the only place in the north of England to come higher.

Polly13 likes this.
  18. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

Of course these things are meaningless anyway, it's up to an individual to make the best of their experience wherever they live.

19. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

As welcome as this is, unfortunately it has less resonance than the Crap Towns poll. You can guarantee most people around the country will remember the worse news more.

Has anyone got the actual ST article that they can share? As if I'm paying the £1 subscription....

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

FLG posted it on another thread...

please log in to view this image