1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I think things are starting to move at last (use for rumours/updates)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by WestCountrylalala, Jun 30, 2011.

1. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I hope we can get Dickinson, at the moment Mason is our only striker. We need another winger, a new (youngish) goalkeeper to keep Larrieu on his toes and a another striker to give the team more depth.

Looking good though...

2. greenjock

greenjock Member

If any of the new signings have an attitude problem we could always threaten not to pay them for 7 months!

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They would probably wrap their attitude problem around your head with feeling...greenjock.

All those players with too much attitude should be locked in a room all night,in the morning the last one standing should be signed and made captain.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I read about the Marjon link-up with Argyle and the excellant facilities available (good idea) with a smile on my face ( thats right sensible).

Back in the 1950s (a long while back I know and a pilgrim in those days) when I was doing my apprenticeship in Deptford (SE London), we used to go over Deptford Park.

The facilities were a bit basic but OK for the 1950s, Athletic club, cinder running track,large grass area and a Large dust bowl of a chicken wire type caged football pitch.

We apprentices used to play 20 or even 30 aside football matches in our lunch break, ending up covered from head to foot in dust or mud,depending on the weather.

OK you say whats special about that.............Millwall FC (the old Den was only a mile away) used to quite often train in the Park (as you do of course).

Sometimes they were just finishing their training as we arrived lunch time for our kick around, and before you knew it they were in the cage with us getting kicked in twenty man tackling situations, trapped against the chicken wire having your face grunched into the wire, having at times more rugby tactics used than any Ref could cope with,and Millwalls training staff didn't bat an eyelid, having a good old laugh at one of their stars be diced through the chicken wire.

I like to think that they had us to thank for the hardman style they used to play at home (unbeaten at home for 59 consecutive matches) in the 1960s.

If your old enough or into your stats you will know who stopped that unbeaten run.........and I am proud to say I woz there.

Training facilities have moved on, I doubt if Millwall use that type of set-up anymore.

5. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

News from BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14017484.stm

Looks like we will be in admin until the beginning of the new season. Hopefully this will go without a hitch, whatever reservations we have about the company taking over the ground I hope they are more reliable than the last board at giving their funds on time.

6. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't see anything seriously wrong with a delay in getting out of Admin. Ridsdale said ages ago that we could sign players so it was never an issue. He also said it would not cost us points either which is something that seems to be in everyone's mind as was the signings.

I had a flash picture of you in knee length shorts running around like a character on the WII. Was not a pretty sight and I may have trouble sleeping now. Lets be honest, to train for anything all you need is the equipment to do it and space. It does not need to be some space age site does it. Equipment for football training is a pair of posts and a ball. Pampered is what today's people are. Just realised that last sentence sounds a bit like Yoda.

7. BYeee

BYeee Guest

No, just ungrammatical

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's English oldnickyb which I realise is a foreign language for you. You would not have had much training in the potteries.

9. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Sensible

You know in Star Trek there's always the possibility when junior and anonymous one appearance ratings beam from one place to another, they may not be correctly re-assembled on arrival and come out as ravenous space monsters?

You didn't notice anything odd when you beamed across from BBC 606 did you? You seem to have come over as a rather more in-your-face being than your calm and placid BBC persona.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nope, I was always like this I just hid it away on the BBC. Tongue firmly in cheek most of the time notDistant. I reserve my most verbose responses for the (D)evil's (S)pawn and the difference is I mean them most sincerely folks. Do they not do banter in the Boardroom then and is it only reserved for the shop floor? See, picking on you now.

11. notDistantGreen

Non stop fun. I worked for a rugby playing MD once whose idea of after dinner fun [once the port had run out] was to assemble various containers each with an opening large enough for a hand and to invite his fellow directors to insert their digits and guess what was in there.

I had no idea he had such good connections in the offal trade.

Another of his more impressive tricks was to swim lengths of the pool on his back with a pint balanced on his admittedly shock absorbing beer belly.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Blimey the upper crust know how to live don't they................... Bet it was his own swimming pool wasn't it. On the lower decks you would be invited to put something else into the container and the chances are it wouldn't be offal in there. In my time before the mast the words politically correct and bullying in the workplace had not been invented. You had to have a very dark sense of humour to survive sometimes.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talking about swimming pools..............the little boy and girl who lived in the road that backed onto the bottom of our garden,who hadn't been living there very long,popped there heads over the fence to say hello.

It was very obvious that they, even at there young age were well educated,they told me they were going on holiday soon and they were about to go for a swimming lesson.

I asked who the travel agent was and were where they going, and were they going down the local council swimming pool for their swimming lesson.

They looked at me aghast that I could even think such a thing. Oh no we are going to Nannys Villa in Spain and we must go now because grannys waiting to give us a swimming lesson in her underground swimming pool nearby in her home...........end of conversation..........the road at the bottom of my garden was a little more up market than mine.........and putting a for sale board up was definately frowned on.

14. notDistantGreen

Oh no, I don't think I've ever even been to a UK house which has a private pool.

Management centre at a very nice Grade II Star manor house Sensible, oiks like me confined to the converted stable block.

Anyway, pools are a bit arrivista aren't they? A bit New Money. Pretentious pop stars and Premier League footballers only I think.

15. Michael71

Michael71 Member

Apparently ngalas off now, thats another good younger player sold for nothing. And they delayed the announcement that all the fans have been waiting ages for.
    I think my mate whos been a loyal st buyer wont be buying one, seeing as theyve scrapped the u23 tickets too

16. Michael71

Michael71 Member

I agree its quite facinating for all the wrong reasons.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Buttivant hasn't quite given up on the buying process at PAFC as yet'

It seems he has hired private detectives to look into the administration process that Brendan Guilfoyle as been overseeing.

Are we yet at the bottom of the cesspit, could there still be an hold up.

18. notDistantGreen

Now that WOULD be a disaster Plymborn, better Ridsdale and an anonymous consortium than a renewed threat to our place in the league.

Whatever happens over the next couple of years, providing we retain league status, it'll come right in the end. Sooner or later the ownership will change again, good players will arrive even if it is more by luck than judgement & we'll be OK. We'll fluke a goal or two in the FA Cup and it'll be Man U [reserves] at home in the 3rd round & not a ticket to be had.

Lose league status & we're doomed forever, as previously stated, I wouldn't give PAFC a cat in hell's chance of doing an AFC Wimbledon.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We are expecting to come out administration just before the Shrewsbury game............thats a month from now, lets hope Buttivant doesn't rock the boat in that time............the Football League could get a little jumpy......lets hope not.

20. argyle12345

argyle12345 New Member

Any movement regardless of the player attitude is good at the minute as will create a knock onfactor for people to buy season tickets due to excitement and more players willing to play for Argyle as they now trust the club is on the right path etc. Anyway im not sure what to think of Dickinson never scored goals apart from at Stockport which did happen to be in league 2 and he seems quite motivated he said to get his career back on track, could be good, for me 10 - 15 goals.