1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I'd go for this

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by mackemwelder, Oct 5, 2015.

1. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Just been watching a Sky Sports talk in out here in Nigeria with Shaun Goata and Don Hutchinson on the panel. Hutch came out with (IMO) a brilliant statement. Short should appoint Sam with Peter Reid as DOF, now that i would like to see.

He also went on to say that he 'half know's' Ellis through a mutual friend and Ellis openly admits that he know's very little about football and relies heavily on Congerton. If this is true, it's no wonder we're in such a state as a club FFS.

They also contacted big Sam over the phone who was enjoying the sunshine in Costa Blanca and he said he'd had no contact with anyone at SAFC, when asked if Ellis rang him for a chat, what would he say, he said 'mind your own business'

Just thought i'd share that.

Blunham Mackem likes this.
  2. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Some good info there. Not sure about the Reid bit as DoF. He was good at turning workhorses into a good team but not so good in his treatment of thoroughbreds. If we want to stay up the January transfer window is crucial - again.

grandpops likes this.
  3. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

That`s it right there.

Knowing our situation, clubs are going to be looking for top dollar. Again.

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Reid as DoF? <yikes> His signings when the time came to evolve his squad were questionable to say the least. Not for me. If congers goes we might as well just scrap it the way we're going through them.

He'd be a good assistant to Big Sam, but I don't want Big Sam. :p

Class of 73 likes this.
  5. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Reid as DoF.

The bloke who turned down Ibrahimovich for Flo.

Nads likes this.
  6. mackemwelder

Me neither mate, but lets be honest here. We're not going to get a Klopp or De Boer despite the fact we'd all love them to take over, it just isn't going to happen. Realistically the choice is between Sam, Dyce or Pearson and to be honest i don't want any of them but i'll back whoever does come in.

I think the point Hitch was trying to make was that between them there's vast experience and Riedy in particular know's the game inside out, his words.

As i've said on other threads, there's obviously problems behind the scenes, whether it's the players, Congerton, or the board, there's big problems. If it's true what Hutch said about Short relying heavily on Congerton? then it clearly isn't working, so why not make the change and give the new manager full control, or bring in a DOF with real football experience?

7. Brian Storm

I've not even tabled a name, I know we can't get anyone decent. Don't want any of the names mentioned. Short isn't working, he doesn't have the knowledge to run his own business. He's delegated everything since he bought the club and it's brought nowt but mistakes. For what it's worth I think Congers has done a great job Rodwell aside, but the bloke didn't get an adequate budget this summer.

clockstander likes this.
  8. mackemwelder

Not saying you have mate, just generalising and going off the bookies short list, but there's many on here who have said they want De Boer etc.

As for Cogertons budget, that's just speculation cos none of us know what he had available. I do agree that Short is delegating and to the wrong people so isn't it time they went?

My gut feeling is that DA was assured he would get the 6 quality signings he wanted, we ended up with cast offs. who's fault is that? we don't know Bri and we probably never will but one thing is certain, the current regime isn't working. Time for a change i reckon.

clockstander likes this.
  9. Class of 73

Class of 73 Well-Known Member

Both of them, like me, are approaching 60 and like me have had some tough paper rounds when younger. I would imagine they would go in guns blazing then forget their own and each others names, then start dribbling on about how hard it was in their day, followed by a mumbling that they need to go and pee somewhere. In other words, good in their day but now heading for retirement
    To my mind a catastrophe in the making, they would be out thought and out classed by a younger generation of managers, certainly PR anyway; the last time he managed an English team was Plymouth in 2010 and he got sacked after a year.
    Boardroom sackings first for creating this mess over the last few years, then a leaner meaner approach with a manager with some time left before he pops his clogs.
    All the selections of our managers of the past few years have been ill thought out, either looking managers with long past glories or hot heads trying to make their names without the real tactical awareness or man management to back them up. DA has been the closest to getting it right but, on reflection, 15-years to late.

Brian Storm and mackemwelder like this.
  10. Brian Storm

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...-advocaat-reveals-sunderlands-summer-10198730

I believe the man 100%. We've lost a cracking manager because promises were made tha

11. Nathan Brazil

Nathan Brazil Well-Known Member

Give someone who doesn't like DoFs , a DoF who's never done the job before.

That sounds erm. . . . erm. . . . .

Disco down under likes this.
  12. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Not sure you should worry about their ages, with all due respect longevity hasn't been a requirement for your managers just an ability to get you out of immediate danger. Big Sam would sort you out, give me one more reason to dislike him.

Disco down under likes this.
  13. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

The Relic likes this.
  14. Brian Storm

He wanted a squad which was adequate top achieve safety, so obviously there wasn't enough investment. Look at our defence. Pretty clear he had a problem that our business fell short of what he needed. He's said his reasons for leaving, he didn't want a relegation fight and the squad ain't up to scratch. You're right, he will have got some of the players he wanted, but I haven't claimed that he didn't want any players he got have I?

You know, it is possible to address some areas of the squad adequately and some areas of the squad inadequately. I've been happy with the majority of business but it's clear extra funds weren't available to finish the job and an idiot(not saying you're one) can see that defence isn't up to scratch.

15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agree with almost everything - I don;t blame Congerton for the Rodwell disaster - I just guess he wasn't as good as everyone bulled him up to be - If we said at the end of last season we'd be signing players of the quality of Lens, Toivonen, Borini and M'Vila we'd have been delighted. Rodwell turned into a bad signing but I don;t think he was a bad signing when we got him! (just my opinion like!)

Just wish we'd picked up a centre half along the way!

Brian Storm likes this.
  16. Brian Storm

Not willing to blame him either really but I can't say it's was a good signing. Not given it was rumored he was Poyet's choice from a shortlist. He hasn't been a good signing though. Could be, playing him CB.

Smiffy likes this.
  17. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Totally and utterly this!! Tall, Strong, likes a tackle - he can pass a ball too! Sometimes a little nasty in the tackle but that's not necessarily a bad thing

18. Brian Storm

He could be the answer to the part of our summer business we royally ****ed up on.

19. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Not sure who to blame for that either - we tried to get Van Dyck (although, if I'm honest, I don;t rate him that highly as a centre half) and we also tried Lombaerts - the latter (from what I've read and heard about him) would definitely have improved us! Lombaerts failed medical was a killer and then he shot his mouth off about us saying we were lying about the medical! Did we have back up options that didn;t come off? We certainly should've had! Ah well - on to the next gaffer and see what happens from there

The Relic likes this.
  20. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

He looks like he is good enough for the Saints, and I am watching him closely as I think he was just the man for us, but hey I thought Vergini was OK and still do.