1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If we stay down....

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Not nice I know but if we fail to get promoted next week or via the play offs, next season we will be joined by....

From League 2...
    With just 2 games to go in League 2, its out of just 3 teams who can get relegated, who are...
    Hartlepool who have 41 pts
    Cheltenham 40 pts
    Tranmere 39 pts

(Just a side note, we were relegated last season on 50 points. We would have been safe this season in League 2 with those 50 points!!! :()

From Conference North...
    Only Barrow or AFC Flyde can win the league with just 1 game to go. 1 of these will be joining us. Whoever fails to win the league will be in the play offs and either they or 1 of the other 3 teams in the play offs - who are Boston, Guiseley and Chorley (no other team can reach the play offs), will join us.

From Confernce South...
    Bromley won the league today so they will be joining us. And the 4 teams in the play offs have already been decided with a game yet to go. They are Boreham wood, Basingstoke, Havant & waterlooville and Whitehawk.

Again, if we stay down, the teams we would be losing from our league would be Barnet who would be champions, we would be in the play offs and fail (because this thread is about 'if we stay down') and at the moment, only 1 other club is sure of a play off place which is Grimsby. There are 3 teams fighting for the last 2 play offs spots which are
    Eastleigh 79 pts
    FGR 78 pts
    Maccs 77 pts.

Lets hope we dont stay down!!!

2. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just reminds us how low we have sunk.
    In spite of this season's 'success' I still can't forgive or forget!!!

3. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've got no chance of getting promoted next year or for the forcible future we need to it this season. And to say I'm still gutted about yesterday is an understatement.

4. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

It's not over yet - anything can happen on the last day (remember last year) - all the pressure is on Barnet
    Turn up at the Mem - get behind the team and win - all you can do
    If it turns out that Barnet win then you go into the play-off's as the strongest side
    Appreciate the play-offs can be a bit of a lottery but they will all fear you
    The slow start to the season has probably hurt you - I have to say I've been impressed with DC - not seen his brand of football, but the way he fronted up after relegation last season made me think he had something about him
    You may be too close to it all to see it, but I think Rovers have turned a corner (at least on the pitch) - the "way back" will be fun

A Matter Of Time likes this.
  5. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

If we don't go up this season and I still think we will, then how well next season will go will be down to DC. The players we have are good enough to get us promoted providing we start as we mean to go on eg winning from the off. This will require the present playing staff to remain with a little bit of class brought in to help. Chris Lines staying a quality Striker to be signed. When we win the battle against Sainsbury's is won hopefully this will release more funds for the playing side. I am not knocking the board with that comment as they have supported DC throughout but he stated at the beginning of the season that some players were asking for to much money. I have said on many posts on this forum that DC is the manager to take us onward and upwards and failure to achieve promotion this season will not alter that

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

If we don't go up this season -and I think we will - we'll come back stronger. I'm pretty sure Yeovil took a few years to win the league after knocking on the door. By the time they went up they were a very strong side.

We're still in a great position, so get behind the team and enjoy the tension!

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I just really hope we go for it straight away, not waste 45 minutes like we usually do. Kill the game off early. We done our bit. Then just have to look at Barnet.

I honestly dont think I will cope with the tension if we are struggling to break down Alfreton who are being spurred on by the fact that Welling is losing so a point for Alfreton would be enough to keep them up and in Barnets game its all level as well with 10 mins to go.

Tension from the stands is the last thing the players will want to see, hear and feel. I cant witness another Mansfield game where we needed 1 goal but hit the woodwork 3 times <yikes>

8. Jon the Stripe

Jon the Stripe Active Member

Oi CJS if you're trying to cheer me up it aint working!

:emoticon-0136-giggl

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. old timer

If we can get a couple of early goals it might put pressure on Barnet by causing tension on the terraces which will hopefully affect the Barnet performance. If you lot don't get a little more cheerful I might come down and really put the mockers on it even if I have to mug someone for a ticket as it looks like a full house

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Sorry JTS <laugh>

old timer, as Barnet is the live game, that might add extra pressure on them <whistle> (that should make JTS happier!)

11. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Got a gut feeling that Gateshead will do us a favour on Saturday, Barnet will struggle - all we need to do is win our game. Just wait and see!

12. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

come on the Gas! We need you back!

13. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Hope and pray we make it, but I just can't see Barnet slipping up. Gateshead have taken a beating in the last couple of games losing 4-2 and 3-0, and have drew quite a few as well. A draw will do us, but will they have the determination to win/draw and put in maximum effort? I doubt it but one can only hope they do

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If Barnet end top then fair shout to them. They been top fot 95% of the season. Yes they have had a lot of good fortune along the way but they dont make the decisions like awarding pens and sending players off etc. Yes we have done well to catch them and overtake them here or there but whoever wins it, deserves it. Like City in their league.

Yes Gateshead have injuries and will play youngsters but Barnet still got to break them down with the added pressure of the TV cameras knowing we wont slip up this time.

Its not over yet but if Barnet do win it then fair shout to them and time to get our heads straight for the play offs.

old timer likes this.
  15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

If we don't go up this season then IMO I cant see us going up in the near future unless we address the striker situation it seems like we're the only club that doesn't have one even though Taylor and Harrison have done very well this season its still not enough for me, we need two proven goalscorers and I suggest looking in the leagues below like we use to do.

16. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Easter with a full season with us and remaining fit, he will or should get 30 goals.

17. old timer

Think Blissett needs more time

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

he started off bright. he needs time to adjust and find his feet. he will come good.

19. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I just don't rate Easter I don't know why plus he's injury prone

20. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Finding his feet would be a good place to start! <laugh>
    When I first saw him I thought he was raw but with potential.
    I'm afraid now though I just don't think he's good enough.
    His timing for jumps is awful. He lands before the ball arrives, and he seldom
    wins headers against far shorter opponents.
    At Dover another fan reminded me of what they used to say about Carlton Palmer:
    'He can trap a ball further than I can kick it!'