1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Improving the atmosphere at Emirates

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Mar 27, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Thanks to @PleaseNotPoll for posting this on the PL board. I thought it needed reposting here. Robbie from Arsenal fan TV visited Dortmund to sample their famous atmosphere, on a fact finding mission to see if there was anything that we could learn and implement at Arsenal.

My thoughts on this are that we definitely need a singing section, if it was a safe standing area all the better. I was privileged enough to stand on the old North Bank terrace at Highbury, and those days were electric. Everybody used to gather to stand, chant and sing together and that was the heartbeat of the atmosphere at Highbury. At the Emirates, the big mistake Arsenal made was not ensuring that those who wanted to sing were placed together. So that when you go to Emirates, you might find yourself next to a young family with Children, Japanese tourists, or somebody who wants a different experience.

There are some good points made in the video, so I'll leave people to digest them and comment here. But one of the other things that stood out for me was getting behind the players, especially when they are having a bad game. At Arsenal, we boo and harass them, completely counter productive in my opinion. I know people will say 'I pay a lot of money to go and watch the team, it's up to the players to perform and entertain me, then I will get behind them'. Well, sorry but for me that is BS. If somebody is booing you, then it's going to make it worse.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the fans are there to support the team, and that means supporting them regardless, win draw or lose.

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was actually going to post it on here too, but I thought it might seem a bit provocative coming from me! <laugh>

I'd largely agree with this, but I don't think that your players are helping themselves on this one.
    It's far from being unique to Arsenal, but I've noticed that many of your players just trudge off to the dressing room at the end of the game.
    Oxlade-Chamberlain's earned himself a lot of points with your away fans, as he always makes a point of going to applaud them at the final whistle.
    It's an easy, simple gesture, but it shows respect and helps people to connect and relate to the players.
    Dortmund have every player do it as a group. Not hard, really.

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Good suggestions but probably not the best time considering the latest issues with Wenger and some of the players contracts.

But it would be good to bring back some good old traditional atmosphere while allowing families some much needed space.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

True. Although it's sad the fact that whilst a club like Dortmund have flags and banners encouraging the team, we have banners calling for the manager to be sacked :(

TheBear likes this.
  5. lazarus20000

I think that's the changing way of the world, not just for modern Wenger Arsenal, but for modern football in general. The financial side of things have taken over and it's sucked out the passion from the very top. I'm generally much less into football than i once was, give me a few early Wenger or George Graham team's over today's team any day of the week, even if they won a league title.

It's not just about winning but the passion and excitement that the game brings. Things have become too formulaic and boring for me, something a Wenger team NEVER WAS! That for me is the biggest shame of all, he compromised his own ideals to maintain CL existence.

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Yep tend to agree. Although I still think we could do a lot at the emirates to improve the atmosphere. I think the players would respond too.

7. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

The thing that is strange is that there is so much negativity from kick off and fromthe first home game of the season...it only makes things easier for the away team imo.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I agree. Whilst I can understand the frustration, booing the team simply plays into the hands of the opposition.

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I think the thing that makes it easiest for the opposition is having Wenger as our manager...

10. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Quite simply put: the negativity will not go away until we get a change of manager.

This is why for me, the argument about wenger going or staying is mute; he is already having a negative impact on the club by just being here, and this just confirms we cannot possibly move forward because the lingering toxicity will prevent that.

11. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I think an organised singing section would be a great idea.

Would also love to see a safe standing section at the Emirates - this would increase capacity and improve the atmosphere.

12. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

Look you can't can't fart if your underpants are loaded .
    Atmosphere, Highbury was known as the library.
    The Emirates is souless. There hasn't been a golden age in a quater of a century . Why l have no idea .
    I understand you want a more unified spirit but atmosphere is another matter .
    I think Russ Abbot got it right .

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

That reputation was largely bollocks. Just because something rhymes, it doesn't make it true.

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I know what will improve the atmosphere. Your decrepit manager saying: "I can understand the fans that are unhappy with every defeat but the only way to have victory is to stick together with the fans and give absolutely everything until the end of the season, that's all we can do."

Three points:
    (1) I'm not entirely sure that's the only way to victory...
    (2) how do you know what victory is like to even know how to get there Arsene?
    (3) that's not all you can do Arsene

As I said... Make that stadium toxic

15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Looks like he's staying, so making the stadium toxic is completely counter productive.

16. lazarus20000

So how do you propose getting rid of a manager that a lot of fans want to get rid of? He clearly doesn't want to go and thinks he's still got it. The man ain't got a fuking hope in hell beating any of the other managers to the PL now. He couldn't do it against inferior opposition so what chance has he got now? The guy is stuck up in the clouds of Wenger world.

It's a fuking waste of time giving him another 2 years!

Quilllogic and Sign Da Ting like this.
  17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

On the contrary. If it becomes toxic enough he won't be able to stay.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Won't happen.

19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

But it should