1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Injuries.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Gary Sawyer has had a set-back and will now need surgery on his stomach muscle strain next week.
    He will not be available for up to twelve weeks. This leaves Purrington as the only left back in the squad.....talk of Adams looking for a back up that might be available on the free market.

Paul-Arnold Garita should be back in training next week after a hamstring injury.

Oscar Threlkeld has a bruised knee and his position is not sure regarding the Stevenage match.

....and of course Ryan Brunt is still recovering from his knee injury and will hopefully be available in the new year.

Derek Adams larger squad is managing far better than we would of done last year with similar injuries.

Surprised that Karleigh Osborne didn't get any playing time against Wimbledon.....I assume that Adams didn't feel that the game position warranted Osbourne coming on at that stage.

2. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

A useful update Plymborn.

Based on what I have seen young Ben is growing into the LB role so hopefully he can remain injury free.

Osborne is a bit of a puzzler, I can only imagine that he is not yet fit enough to be challenging for a place.

I cant see him playing at CB with Bully and Sonny on form so competition for Songo'o, Fox & Smith in DM?

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think injuries are not the same importance as last season and we can cope much better this time. Don't want injuries of course and would prefer a settled squad. I think Purrington has improved a lot since he first started although there is room for more. He is ok though and we won't miss Sawyer as much as we might have.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Paul-Arnold Garita and Oscar Threlkeld are back from injury and could be available for selection against Grimsby on Saturday....probably no more than on the bench and eased in slowly.

Ryan Brunt might be playing by January and Gary Sawyer is recovering from his operation 5 weeks ago and is training in the pool and at Marjon.

Nauris Bulvitis is still unavailable and no time as been mention on him being back.

Such injuries last season would have been a disaster with our bench being very bare of quality players, and our league position would have suffered badly.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think any of them coming back from injury currently will have to fight to get back in the side. The current lot aren't exactly throwing matches away are they. Good to know they are fit or getting there now though. It will seem like new players when they get their chance. I like all of those players currently out and would be happy for any of them to be in the side but I cannot fault any of the ones currently playing either and pick one for sidelining. It's a good place to be having the choices.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Our league position did suffer badly last term plym at this stage with the injuries.. we are in a better place now. thank fully..

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Jimmy Spencer has broken and dislocated an ankle in a training session and could be out for three months or so.

Garita picked to take his place against Grimsby.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Think Purrington may now be bolloxed but not had chance to seek out info yet.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

League Two chat in todays Daily Telegraph......

Jimmy Spencer suffered a serious accident in training earlier in the week, "As he was waiting to have a shot, he was just on his own and his weight went on one leg," said Adams explaining Spencer's injury. "He just turned and it snapped, he is going to be a minimum of three months I believe. It's a long time, We've also got the long-term ones like Gary Sawyer and Ryan Blunt. so it's not helping our cause". (Daily Telegraph, Monday 21st)

With Nauris Bulvitis out as well injuries are starting to undermine Argyles promotion push....but on the brighter side Paul-Arnold Garita came through most of Saturdays match ok.....also Oscar Threlkeld is back in the squad.....It's must surely be time for Karleigh Osborne to make his full debut for Argyle.....I cannot understand why he hasn't come in for Bulvitus's absence.

Also becoming concerned for Graham Carey who has played a lot of football this season....it is difficult to give him a break because we haven't got another creative player of his class to lessen his load, he will pick up an injury soon if he continues non-stop without a rest. Also haven't heard of how Purrington is...reports suggest that he didn't look to good.

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I think it would be quite possible to give Craig Tanner 90 mins in Carey's role in the FA Cup.....

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just typical that Newport have taken off and might become the new team to beat given recent results. We've beaten them twice this season so far so what's the betting? I wasn't going to bother with that match but I think I might get a ticket now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Shades of last year against AFC Wimbledon.......two wins followed by two defeats.....second defeat at Wembley.

13. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible, at least you will see the antics of that friendly manager <doh>

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Stop trying to get me going Joe. I'm on tablets you know....

15. Greenarmyjoe

You may need some to calm down after tomorrow night.. a nice win and back on track., we have now had the defeat sp expect normal service tomorrow. Can we cope with the injuries this time.. Its yet to be seen..

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reports that Ben Purrington has started jogging again after his Hamstring injury.

Nauris Bulvitis has a hamsting injury that's why he came off at Morecambe.

David Ijaha recovering from his groin injury.

Not sure if any of them will be available for the Cup game on Saturday.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that Craig Tanner has been in and out of the team because he is carrying an injury.....Derek Adams will not say what kind of injury it is....but because Jordan Slew is on a ban for being sent off last week....Tanner will be playing Saturday.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I suggest you don't copy Luke Youngs lottery numbers at present.

Having missed most of last season with an anterior cruciate ligament injury, he has now injured the other knee in the 2-1 defeat away to Tranmere last Saturday. This time the injury is to his medial ligament and it is possible that this season is already over for him.....really tough luck for the player.

I know that he is a Torquay player these days but you've got to feel for the fellow.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I liked Luke Young and thought he was a decent enough youngster. I was surprised when he was released as he was. I wish the lad well wherever he goes and yes, he is very unfortunate with his injuries at the moment. Some players just don't seem to get a break do they. "a break" is probably not the right term to use.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Paul-Arnold Garita who didn't play Saturday might of been ruled out because of aggravating an old knee injury from his Bristol C days and not because City had not wanted him cup tied.

He returned to Bristol at the weekend for a scan and we are waiting for the result.

Garita had only just returned from two months out injured with an hamstring injury.....he has subbed twice and started once since coming back into the squad.

Seven players injured and one banned for the Newport game last Saturday....hence the reason for having apprentices in the Squad.