1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Inter Milan Away

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SootySaint, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,
    Decided to take the plunge on my first southampton away game against Inter Milan but now it has turned out i am going on my lonesome.
    Seen a couple of posts of people who are going so would be good to meet up for a drink when you are out there.
    For those who are also new to this, listed some helpful links below.

Official away travel is sold out via Saintsfc but a useful company that i use for England away games is offering a similar deal. 250 quid for a flight out and flight back from bournemouth airport on the day of the game.

https://www.sportoptions.com/SFC-game-2/index.asp

The second option to take advantage of is the BA sales currently going on. Just booked myself flights and 2 nights in a 5 star hotel right by the San Siro for £350. (If you are staying out you do not want to travel far after the game. Made that mistake against Russia in Marseille where we had to walk for roughly an hour through a rough neighbourhood to get to our airbnb)

www.britishairways.com/Sale‎

If you know any other useful travel options or friendly bars to go to feel free to post.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

What a first away game!!

Mine was at White Heart Lane sat amongst the Spurs fans. We lost 3-0. Horrible experience.

Hope you have a better time than I did!

3. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

All booked up. Did BA holiday finder as well with 4 nights in the lakes in a 5* for 320 per person. Not too shabby!

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

My first away game was against Oxford United in the 3rd round of the Cup, on a freezing January day at the old Headington ground.

Going to the San Siro kind of knocks that into a cocked hat!

The sailors among you will know what a cocked hat is.

5. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

So was mine, although we drew 0-0.

6. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

My first away game - Stamford Bridge, Wed. 12th Jan 1977, Chelsea v Saints in FA Cup 3rd Round replay and Saints won 3-0
    (I had to look it up, but the scorers were Ted MacDougall, David Peach and Mick Channon)

This could be a new thread on its own, but for that match, Saints had 8 English players and 3 Scottish players on the pitch.

7. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

If we're counting sitting in the wrong end, I saw us lose by 2 or 3 goals at Stamford Bridge in the 90s. They had Ruud Gullit and he scored at least 1.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

My first away game was away to Chelsea too. I think it was 1984 but may have been 83.

We won 2-0, Danny Wallace scored and I was in the Chelsea stand. I remember being in the pub across the road before the game. I was only 13 or 14 and ****ting myself :(

9. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

My first away game was "the great escape" game. What a day!

Can't wait for the San Siro!!!

10. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

My first away will be the San Siro :)

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

My first away was Bristol City in the League Cup under Strachan. Won 3-0, Ormerod, Beattie & someone.

As for sportoptions, I was looking at that option but seems pricey for what it is. I can book flights and a hotel for less than that, and now I've managed to book the day off I definitely want to stay over.

I'm also thinking of booking a city centre hotel as there's a metro station right outside the stadium and as I'm going alone, I don't fancy just going straight to my hotel at 9pm (Italy is GMT+1 right?). Seems a bit **** and a waste of time when I'm spending one night in a country I've never been before.

Keeping my options open currently.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

I still can't get over that I'm going to the San fricking Siro!!! <yikes>

Though in all honesty I'm expecting the stadium itself to be a bit of a ****hole for condition/facilities etc. but the character and sheer size of the place will be unforgettable imo. On that note any females that are going I would advise to use toilets before you leave as you're not going to be keen on the ones there!!

Is it too greedy to hope I'm in the 2nd tier rather than top one as well ? <whistle>

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Actually on this looking at the ground I reckon we all might be in the middle tier now instead of the top.... I can't see the top holding 5000 and the middle only 3750:

please log in to view this image

Would be a result if so!!

14. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I went on expedia and got an Alitalia flight out early thursday (6:45am) from Heathrow and back late afternoon friday. Booked the Hotel Glam Milano - nice price and right next to Milan Central station. I got my package for £382 yesterday and weirdly that is for Business class on the plane as when i chose economy it bumped up the price £300! I booked that as like you I am on my own. Well me and 8700 saints fans :) ;)

Libby likes this.
  15. St.Jerome

St.Jerome Active Member

16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I remember that game ... horrible afternoon out. Decent locals in the pub by the ground though.

17. KillerCephalopod

KillerCephalopod Active Member

We lost 6-0 away to Arsenal on my first away game & 4-0 away to West Ham on my second. I've not been to an away game since! The only other "away" Match I've been to was the JPT final.

18. St.Jerome

St.Jerome Active Member

Yep - definitely was a case of it's grim up North.

The most stand out thing about the match was Dale Jennings who, a few months later, was signed by Bayern.

Other than that I had to endure the taunts of my Tranmere supporting colleague...

19. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

They were 6-1 and 4-1, not all bad!

20. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

If you get there early enough it's worth checking out the cathedral in the centre as you can go on the roof and get a great view of the San Siro, that will give you an idea of the size of it. There was also a quirky exhibition of different stadia around Europe in the undercover shopping centre next to the cathedral too if that's your cup of tea (this was a few years ago so might not definitely be there!). I wouldn't spend too long around the San Siro itself, it's pretty good to look at but I remember the surrounding area being a bit dodgy.

Failing that there's always somewhere around that will serve you a nice cold Birra Moretti!

Libby likes this.