1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is It a Crime to Give Him Time ?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 20, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Leroy Rosenior: Should Bristol City be thinking of replacing Lee Johnson only a year into the job?
    By The Bristol Post | Posted: January 20, 2017

please log in to view this image

There may not have been any league points at stake, but, considering the disastrous run of recent form Bristol City have been on, the victory at Fleetwood Town on Wednesday night was massive.

Massive not only for the fact that it broke a sequence of eight games without a victory – seven of those matches ending in defeat – but I think that it would have increased the pressure on the board of directors to consider Lee Johnson's position.

His future seems to be a common thread running through the discussions between City fans on message boards and elsewhere, and at least that win – and a decent performance to boot – has earned Johnson and all those who hold his future in their hands a modicum of breathing space.

I hope that City can follow that up on Saturday with a win against another struggling team in Nottingham Forest because this merry-go-round of managers lasting a year or two at Ashton Gate before being replaced at the first sign of a bad run of form has to end for the club to progress.

It's like a recurring cycle and it needs to be broken – much as has happened over the other side of the river when Darrell Clarke was allowed – whether by choice or necessity – the time to turn things around after Rovers hit rock-bottom and were relegated in 2014.

That's not to say that Lee should not be under any scrutiny – nobody can defend the run of form City have been on since December – but only a year into the job at Ashton Gate should we be looking to get rid at the first sign of a bump in the road?

You can't allow a manager to go and buy four or five players and then get to the middle of January and decide he's not for you. Whether or not Lee is for the current board is a decision, it seems, that has already been made.

But make no bones about it, Lee needs results and quickly, because while he has the backing of those inside the club, it seems supporters are divided.

You have those who want him to be sacked and those who believe he should be offered more time – there doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Lee will know that – like any manager – no amount of talking about good performances or hard luck stories is going to convince those who want him sacked that he is still the right man for the job.

The only way that Lee can win the hearts and minds of those who are refusing to back him is by winning football matches in whatever style is required to achieve it.

They face a struggling Notttingham Forest side that is currently managerless on Saturday.

It couldn't come at a worse time for City. They will have to overcome a side that will have some players in it that will raise their game as a result of Philippe Montanier's sacking.

If Lee's side lose the game you will also have a ground-swell of support calling for City to do the same. That's even before you consider that the two sides are currently on the same amount of points and the loser will be thrust ever closer to the relegation zone.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/leroy-...into-the-job/story-30073408-detail/story.html

2. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Its a tough world.

I imagine LJ is very well compensated for what he does. If he is sacked, unlike most professions where an employee is dismissed for failing at their job, he will be handsomely rewarded instead, to the degree he may not need to work again if he chooses.

Even a win tomorrow is no guarantee he will still be in the job in a months time. Looking at the games we have coming up it's a huge task for someone whether it's LJ or a.n other

If the circulating story is true that some of the players have gone to Lansdown and complained about the Head Coach then there must be considerable unrest in the Dressing Room.

Interesting times ahead,

3. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware, LJ is already a wealthy man, so I would not be too sympathetic on a financial level.

Its a result based business.
    If LJ is good enough he will get the results. We don't want another SOD.
    SOD signed some decent players while here. He just couldn't motivate them to perform.
    SOD was a disaster for this club based upon his results, taking us from mid table Championship to bottom of League 1 in the space of a season.

LJ must not be given the license to do likewise, or we will spend the next 50 years yo-yoing between the two divisions.

4. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Sean O'driscoll did not sign players. Keith Burt was scouting, researching and signing e.g. Flint. Due to FFP and its lower level variant Sean O'driscoll was overseeing a enforced reduction in wages costs that at one point was 60%. Aden Flint was a big signing at circa £400,000. Mr Johnson's bench costs more than Sean O'driscoll's squad.

The mammoth resource Mr Johnson has at his disposal is incomparable to Mr Mcinnes, O'driscoll, or Cotterill.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Red Robin and Redprintt like this.
  5. Angelicnumber16

I believe so, as he and his Wife also do property development.

6. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

How much time? We might have won in the cup, but our League form would have had several managers dismissed elsewhere- He has the new players to bed in, but there are 20 games left. How many before it becomes too late?

7. Angelicnumber16

Has to be another 3-5 games maximum. I know that isn't a lot, but if you leave it too long then we could really be in a bad way.
    If we'd won a couple of the last 10 or however many (Reading and Cardiff etc) games, then he wouldn't be under so much pressure now.

If given 3 games then it's Forest away, Sheff Wed at home and Rotherham at home.
    If he is given 5 games then it's the 3 above plus Derby away and then Leeds away

Evan a small smattering of points from these games looks to be a big ask given the opposition.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    gdknac and Red Robin like this.
  8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I know most on here want LJ gone because of the recent results and I totally understand that reaction. I also keep hearing how much money LJ has had at his disposal compared to previous City managers.
    I personally think that SL trusts LJ's & JA's judgement unlike previous management and can see what LJ & co is trying to do......build a team, not just for one season but for seasons to lead us to success.. Of course this might not come off and LJ could be sacked within the next couple of weeks, rightly or wrongly..
    My big concern is we boot LJ and then the big search for a new manager will be on to take his place....
    There is no one out there available that guarantees me a better outlook or avoiding the prospect of relegation. Also the new manager will also want to put his own stamp on it and the players we have at the club may not fit in his plans....................and so it goes on........back to square one..

I really hope City manages to turn our results around in the next couple of months giving breathing space for LJ to group his team, ready for a big push next season and to get at least in the playoffs.....I'm just not sure he will get that time or if the fans will have run out of patience!!

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I don't care about the financial arguments some are throwing around. Money alone doesn't guarantee success, plus it's all relative - the figures that are now involved in signing Championship players is often eye-watering, so our spending remains comparatively meagre.

What I do care about is only winning 4 points from a potential 45 over the past 15 league games, and losing 11 league matches in a row. Bad luck can account for a bad run of form, but 15 matches is a third of a season, not a 'blip'.

I will always want the best for City and never want them to lose, so I will continue to support them and by extension LJ, but if it were my decision, the collapse against Cardiff would have been the last straw for me.

I'm all for the idea of not chopping and changing managers willy-nilly, but on the other hand there's a case for not hitching your wagon to the wrong horse. If he's able to turn it around I will be delighted and will hold my hands up and say I was wrong, but at this moment in time I think it's a bigger risk to keep him than it is to hire someone else.

cidered abroad likes this.
  10. oneforthebristolcity

I completely understand and acknowledge your concerns and reactions, but beg to differ and think the risk will be bigger with a new manager that seems to be available!!

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

12. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

I agree 3 games -results dependent- (3 defeats leaves no option)-Following Leeds its Fulham Home and then Newcastle away and Villa away, the latter 2 games being on the Saturday and Tuesday. Cant see much return from the last 2 games, so its 5 max as you say.

Also seen that 4 of those last 5 games are away. That really does crank up the pressure to get points from the next 3 games-

13. Angelicnumber16

Of the first 3 games, 2 are at home and one of those is a must win match against Rotherham. As you say, lose all 3 of these and he has to be replaced regardless.

I'm really not sure how we'll fare at Forest tomorrow (although I forecast a 2-0 defeat in the prediction league) but were we to sneak a win and beat Rotherham as well, it may buy LJ a reprieve. Any points gained against Wednesday would be a real bonus on top.

But if we lose tomorrow, it will put LJ (rightly) in a very precarious position indeed.

Red Robin and gdknac like this.
  14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Forest are dire, with our new players, and the confidence the cup win will give us, I believe we'll do well at Forest tomorrow.
    I thought the same at Ipswich a few weeks back <doh>
    Remember Ipswich ?
    The team this week who couldn't beat non league Lincoln.

I'll be happy with my Brazin tomorrow evening praying we'll accrue enough points to stave off relegation.

15. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

(with due recourse to those that say "doesn't matter what others do )
    it all depends if we stay above the zone,and our close rivals maintain their distance be it 3 points or 6 ..... our biggest failing is as previous seasons we fail to beat the teams around us, a really bad manoeuvre

Just prepped a couple of pheasants, and put the tasty bits out for the crows ...at least they will see the cold night come and go feeling happy .. a victory tomorrow may do similar for city fans ...victory that is

16. Angelicnumber16

You can't beat a bit of Pheasant..... lovely !

17. johngalleyfan2

get so many this time of the year concentrate on just the breast meat, and the odd leg ... one bit of breast will need to be eaten carefully at least 3 holes in it

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  18. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

The structure of the club with men like Mark Ashton in place means Bristol City can easily remove the Manager/head coach.

Any Manager HAS to fit the structure of the FC. The structure does not alter for any new incumbent. Mr Ashton x Pemberton brought players in with NO manager in situ. The Manager runs the XI, he is there to get the very best out of the players by not having to concentrate his energies elsewhere. The Manager cannot have his own plans. That is the point.

19. oneforthebristolcity

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it................But not mine...........you mean to tell me the likes of Jose & Pep doesn't have their own plans? Or are you only talking about Bristol City? Are you also telling me that the players we have signed have nothing to do with LJ? If so, my opinion differs from yours!!

20. johngalleyfan2

I think LJ has minimal input to the choice of players, he is obviously consulted .. " Lee we have lined up this " player" from Europe and he is signing this week ..anything you have to say? or any reason why we shouldn't
    YES we already have a couple of those ..
    Don't worry we are selling Ayling to Leeds ...... :emoticon-0138-think