1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It Makes You Wonder Why Ayling Was Ever Sold ?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 16, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Nearly missed this one ~

Luke Ayling's stats from Leeds United's win over City will make you wonder why Johnson ever sold him

By Danjnewman | Posted: February 16, 2017
    please log in to view this image

Luke Ayling slides to shield the ball from Bristol City striker Milan Djuric

It might take a whole season to come to terms with the fact that Johnson decided to sell Luke Ayling to Leeds United, and his statistics from Tuesday night's win for Garry Monk's side against the Robins won't make things any easier.

Considering the issue City have at right-back - Adam Matthews has been injured for most the season and Mark Little has his critics - it makes you wonder why Ayling was ever sold to a side now chasing a Sky Bet Championship play-off place.

The former Yeovil defender, who has had a sublime season and has become a fans favourite at Elland Road, was sold for a fee thought to be in the region of £750k after previously helping City claim the League One title and Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

please log in to view this image

Ayling was sold at the same time that Kieran Agard left for MK Dons, and Johnson said at the time: "It was one of those where I could not promise either player enough first team football. I could not guarantee either of them what they wanted."

Well, Ayling gave City fans a further glimpse of what they're missing as his Leeds side heaped another defeat on Johnson's strugglers.

Here it goes, the Ayling show...

Touches: 94 Completed passes: 49 Interceptions: 8 Clearances: 7 Blocks: 3 Tackles won: 2 Assists: 1

It was also revealed last week that Ayling, along with former Robins left wing-back Greg Cunningham, were two of the top tacklers in the Championship.

Makes things all the much better, doesn't it!

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/luke-a...ver-sold-him/story-30140984-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Good Point Made~
    'It was also revealed last week that Ayling, along with former Robins left wing-back Greg Cunningham, were two of the top tacklers in the Championship.'

3. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

The chosen one does not have a clue,another bit of business that was wrong.

4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I probably think they had enough of Bristol City and the nonsense we appear to create from nothing.

5. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

6. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Our current issue with full backs does make this seem very much of an own goal

7. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

So easy to say with hindsight.

When he left, we had Adam Matthews in, a seemingly Premier League quality right back who had played well for us last season, who was going to be ahead of Ayling, a player absolutely none of us thought we would miss. Plus we had Mark Little as backup, someone had to go.

I'm not blindingly defending LJ here, but none of us could have predicted this would be such a **** up could we.

8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

He had to make a choice for a number 2, he chose Mark Little, surely that didn't need hindsight, that was a mistake, we let quality go.

I hate to say it but it demonstrated emotion over knowledge for reasons we all know, an indication of inexperience which is now busting out all over the place, I hate to say it but the signals are all there, players signed for huge amounts and cannot get into the team, injury prone players signed and then moved on,bad tactics, untimely substitutions, staff taking on extra workload because he can't cope, obvious dissention in the dressing room which is denied but is obviously there, not able to control the field of play for 100% of the game, weekly tinkering with team selection, not knowing his best players, biggest spend for years, great stadium, supportive chairmam, it goes on and on and now 1 win in 17 games, it's a farce and a disaster.

I've been a keen supporter of Johnson Jr but I'm off the fence, he has got to go Bristol City FC is my club and I want them to survive, Harry Rednapp, Joe Jordan, Glen Hoddle and others, just to name a few with experience are all out there, if we are going to survive we need to act and act decisevly if we are going to keep our status.

Get him out and employ somebody to save us, it's that bad and by the way I haven't and won't ever sign any petitions against any Bristol City employee's ..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  9. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

See, I disagree here. Ayling was obviously the better player, but given that we expected Matthews to deliver so much more, Little was much more likely to be happy playing a backup role, and much less likely to command a fee. At the time, I think it was probably good business. Unfortunately, it hasn't turned out that way at all.

wings-of-a-crow likes this.
  10. Loathsneyd

We had three full backs on the book with Mathews obvious first choice. Ayling and Little were competing for the number 2 role. We had an acceptable bid for Ayling so we took it. Not many complained at the time, I think a lot of clubs would have done the same but in hindsight it was a mistake. What players were signed for huge amounts and aren't getting in the side and who would replace in the side with them? One injury prone player signed on a free and subsequently moved on so not sure where you are getting players from. The substitutions won us the game against Rotherham and help get a point against Wednesday and also got us points earlier in the season. I cant see any obvious dissention in the players that are playing, if you watch the games the players are working their socks off. Name me a side that can control the field of play for 100% of the game? He made two changes for the Rotherham game (one of which was to play a new signing), one change for Derby and one change for Leeds. I wouldn't call that wholesale tinkering or not knowing what his best side is. The value of money goes up, its called inflation, Cotterell left us with a threadbare squad so we had to get players in, which surprisingly cost money. I would say our spending is about average for this division and we are probably even in profit with the sales we have made. And where are you getting 1 win in 17 from? Its 2 wins in 13 games still not great but at least get it right!

I've seen the last 4 games, the first half against Derby was breath taking, we also played some really nice football at times against Leeds. I believe we are not far off getting it right and going on a run. The acquisitions of Giefer, Hegler, Cotterell, Wright, Djuric and Taylor have improved the side. People have mentioned Tisdale as a possible successor, his side was bottom of the league just before Christmas and fans were calling for his head, but the board didn't listen and now they are play off candidates.

Of course its been a nightmare run but this is a tough league with 16 of the clubs having been in the Premiership at one time or another and frustratingly we have competed in all the games and if we had turned even two or three of those one goal defeats into draws we would be closer to mid table obscurity, which is where we should be for a season or two. But one comforting fact is we've got results against all the teams below us with no defeats.

In recent seasons we have gone on decent runs towards the end of the season and now the new players have found their feet I cant see any reason why this can't happen again so that's why I'm against getting a new person in and everyone starting again from scratch. Of course I may be wrong and we may go down with a whimper but like everyone on a forum I'm entitled to my opinion.

SO LJ IN :emoticon-0130-devil

11. Red Robin

Glad you see the light,you are a very very patient man Wiz,full respect for that :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

12. Red Robin

What <doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh><doh>

13. Loathsneyd

Well you cant have the monopoly on speaking crap can you? You need to give the rest of us a chance

14. Red Robin

love you to <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

You are correct, the 1 in 17 figure is one I quoted with out checking and just trusting what I read, I have read your comments with interest, I hope you are correct and I look forward to our improvements in the near future, I'll celebrate with you if we do..

16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

In hindsight it was a mistake, though how much of a mistake depend on how much Ayling himself pushed for the move himself. Following the form he had shown prior, Matthews was all set to be our first choice right-back, so if it was made clear to him that he would be back-up, it's reasonable to assume that he asked his agent to find him another club. That being the case, would many people here have forced him to stay against his will?

That said, Matthew's track record of injuries would suggest that his spell in the side was the exception, rather than the rule, so it was always quite likely that there would be plenty of opportunities for Ayling to start. His ability to play in the centre should also have meant an increased possibility of game time.

Or, it could be that either the club, Ayling himself or both were still sore about the negative press surrounding the Cheltenham incident. There's lots of ifs, buts and maybes that make it difficult for me to fall entirely on one side of the argument, though I think it's fair to say that almost all of us would rather have him starting ahead of Little.

Red Robin likes this.
  17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Hindsight is 20-20 vision

We all thought Mathews was a better option than Ayling at the time

He did not want to sit on the bench - so hence the move.

BCFCRob likes this.
  18. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

'Well you cant have the monopoly on speaking crap can you? You need to give the rest of us a chance'.

It's my turn to talk crap, again.
    I'm with Junior and think a fit Matthews was a better bet than Ayling or Little.
    Many a conversation with Banksy who thought Ayling was decent which I disagreed.
    Always felt he was good going forward but not defending.
    Most Leeds fans rate him which might be down to how Monk structures his team.
    Or it could be I'm wrong, again.

19. Red Robin

More bad news-

Defender suffered hamstring tear at Leeds.

• Little to sit out 4-6 weeks
    • Defender has suffered hamstring tear
    • Abraham back with Chelsea being assessed
    Mark Little has been ruled out for at least a month with a hamstring injury.

The defender was substituted at half-time in Tuesday night’s 2-1 defeat at Leeds United due to the problem.

Scans have now revealed a grade two tear, meaning Little will be sidelined for between four and six weeks.

Meanwhile, Tammy Abraham is still being assessed by Chelsea’s medical staff.

The club’s 21-goal top scorer, on loan for the season from Stamford Bridge, suffered a thigh injury at Leeds.
    Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/...-for-a-month-3580313.aspx#VIPUwKY8gfueWSUj.99

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I couldn't agree more about Matthews and I stated it, the point I tried to make was over the number 2 slot, as head coach it was up to Johnson to keep the better player, he made the decision to keep Little over Ayling, a bad decision, a decision made in my view because of the Cheltenham incident.

Johnson felt deeply about the Cheltenham incident and his choice demonstrated emotion over knowledge , an indication of inexperience which has been seen in other areas.