1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a rugby town

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by bum_chinned_crab, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

If you are talking here about the Rugby League Challenge Cup played at Wembley then Batley have never won it there.My team Hull KR have. If you are talking about Challenge Cup winners at all venues Batley have won it 3 times and the combined Hull teams have won it 4 times.
    Not often you are astray with your facts.

2. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Far more than needed for the number of people there.

And yes you do, unless your at the back, same as the football really.

I will say however I've seen more incidents of fan misbehaviour inside the stadium at rugby games than football games in the last year, admittedly it has been mainly pissed up away fans, but there has been home fans getting kicked out as well.

A good case for not letting people take beer to their seats I suppose.

3. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Until I moved to Leeds I had no idea that Batley, Hunslet and the like were exactly to Leeds as Hessle and Cottingham are to Hull. Actually Hunslet is in Leeds. I didnt realise how much of a RL hotbed it is and you see far more Rhinos shirts than TWS.

4. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

That's why they were called Hull FC not Hull RLFC, they played amateur games against local teams in an early form of what is now rugby league.

If you want a dig at the date on the badge the more obvious route to go down would be the merger with gateshead meaning the modern day Hull FC have only been around since 1999!

5. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

I was there and your right it was shameful.

I dare say however, if you were allowed to drink in the stands at football then similar incidents would occur more often at city.

6. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

They're known as Hull FC, but their full name is Hull RLFC as Rovers is Hull KR RLFC.

Both football clubs, making it a football City through and through. <ok>

7. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Indeed, with the RL part added when they became members of the rugby football league 30 years after their formation!

8. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Which is the point I've been making.

Hull RLFC (FC's name) cannot have been formed before the RL. The club that existed before that may as well have played snooker, so the date on the badge is bending the truth at least.

9. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Largest ever crowd between two teams from the same city played in that city ( finals at Wembley don't count) was 54,000 at Elland Road for a Leeds v Hunslet game. Compare to the largest ever crowd in Hull for FC v Rovers, 27,000 in a 40,000 capacity Boothferry Park ( can't understand how the football ground of the football club was the largest by far in a rugby mad town).
    Going by Airlie's's assertion that Hull is seen as a rugby town because the rugby clubs have had more success then that should be the case with Leeds as their one rugby club has won a lot more trophies than their football club. Yet no one asserts that. Maybe because their local media doesn't try and brainwash everybody, continually emphasising any problems or trouble at football whilt downplaying those things at rugby.
    As an e ample of the superiority of journalistic standards in the West Riding read the report in the Yorkshire Evening Post on City's game against Millwall. If only we could have reporting of that standard in our local rag.

10. bum_chinned_crab

Good post <ok> I momentarily forgot that City's record home attendance was more than twice as large as the two rugby club's home attendances put together.

11. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Amazing!

Stop being so paranoid, there isn't a local media conspiracy to hold football back in the city.

Leeds are known for their football because they were one of the best teams in the country for decades, nothing to do with the local media, unfortunately Hull City have never really done anything of worth and as annoying as it is we don't really register that highly in the national footballing concious.

The debate is moot really, none of us know if we even are perceived as a rugby town, not without polling the entire population and adding up the scores as such we can only go on our own experiences and the people we've met.

12. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

There's two questions here. First whether Hull can be literally proved to be predominantly a football or rugby town (which is of little interest to anyone outside the city) and whether Hull is perceived to be a football or rugby town by outsiders.
    All I can say (having lived outside of Hull most of my life) is every time the conversation gets around to sport and I mention Hull the usual response is "Oh yes what's that team .. err ... Kingston Rovers is it?"

13. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Great post <ok>

Is it possible to say conclusively which is more dominant? - Probably not.

How do outsiders perceive us? - Why should that bother us, we choose to ignore all the negative things outsiders say about the city, so why should we be bothered about their opinion on this?

14. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

That was covered earlier on. Basically you're saying that Hull is known as neither, but is known for an unusual name used by Mike Yarwood for his Eddy Waring impression.

I can honestly say that with the exception of the M62 pit villages, RL has so rarely been mentioned when I've been out of town for me to discount it as as an argument.

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Because in my experience, it's not their opinion. The argument's not about outsiders views anyway, it's more about FC fans claims.

16. bum_chinned_crab

I think his point was they werent, and the rugby teams in the area are more successful.

17. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

See Post #71, I've already indicated it's a pointless discussion because it's all based on personal experience, thank you for proving my point.

Read the thread again, it involves both a national and local debate, even if you yourself believe the issue is only a local thing.

18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Okay, if you really want to widen the argument and take more of the subjectivity away, do you really believe RL can match the global coverage of football, and in particular the coverage of the Premier League? ~Our time there got the name of this fine City pushed into the world stage. Never in a billion years could any RL event hope to compete for such numbers of people.

Even the Mongolian Times wrote about Hull City.

RL fans seem to get their parochial view of life from other RL fans and RL programmes. The bulk of the world have never heard of RL to associate it with us in the first place, now football, that's a much more well known global product...

19. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

I'm pretty sure the Mongolian times readers will have forgotten about Hull City by now, but that's not the point.

There's no way to quantify it, we both know it, it's based on perceptions, opinion and personal experience so it's pointless trying to make your opinion fact because you can't.

You strongly take one stance, I personally don't have a stance on this and quite frankly couldn't care less.

I have however enjoyed the debate!

20. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Do the rugby teams have support from Sweden, Poland, Egypt and where ever the hell Prehistoric Bobs from eh??

Case closed I think!

:D