1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a rugby town

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by bum_chinned_crab, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Exodus Geohaghon

Exodus Geohaghon Active Member

Depends where you go, doesn't it?

Whenever I've been to continental Europe and said I'm from Leeds, the response is usually a blank expression, an 'OH LEEDS NEAR MANCHESTER!!!' (Surely you get a similar one; 'Hull near Sheffield' or 'Hull near Leeds'?), or 'OH LEEDS UNITED!!! WHAT IS HAPPENED TO THEM?'

But when I visited Aus, I got as many enthusiastic Bruces and Sheilas mentioning the rugby team as the soccer one, and it would probably have been more if we hadn't had a few high-profile Aussies play for us in recent years.

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Erm, it's a fact that if someone has never heard of rugby league, they can't associate Hull with it.

It's a fact that the global coverage we got from the Premier League absolutely dwarfed anything RL can offer.

It doesn't take much to conclude from that, that many, many millions of people will link Hull to football as a result and that RL can't compete.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't disagree with that. What I'd add is to repeat that most places haven't heard of rugby league, but many have some knowledge of the English Premier League.

4. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

also a decent case for some kind of exposé in of fine local rag instead of being the Humb Police PR vehicle against football supporters?

5. mussiesredhat

mussiesredhat Active Member

the local media focus on the positivity of Rugby because their core readership/listenership comes from that stock. its all about being commercially viable with your audience

6. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

HCAFC (Airlie Tiger) Well-Known Member

Possibly, but what does it matter?

I couldn't care less about the PR spin or how it comes across in the local paper (I don't read it), as long as there's sufficient policing (at both football and rugby) to remove the idiots when they cause trouble and let everyone else enjoy their day.

7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

What if there are too many Police and the additional needless cost is greater than the weekly wages of a much needed player or, causes the cost of admission to rise to such a degree it affects the atmosphere, gates, sponsorship and ultimately playing staff?

8. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Haha amazing! I refuse to get drawn into yet another debate, needless to say if you actually believe what you've just posted it would be rather entertaining.

9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

On Saturday, there were at least twice as many Police Officers as were needed. There were also the dogs and horses used but not needed that come at an additional cost.

The Bill (sic) for the Police has to be met from the club finances and is 'significant' each year.

You see that as entertaining?

10. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Your not always right I'm afraid, you have no idea what the costs involved are, who pays what and where the money comes from, what are the laws with regards to policing, crowd sizes, stadiums...etc, what intelligence the police work from and what decisions are taken and why.

Unless you work for the police (I'm guessing not?) or the club you can only base it on limited information, conjecture and opinion, none of which are the basis for a worthwhile debate.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Erm, yes I do have an idea because rough figures are available from a number of sources. I also have a resaonable idea of the law on Police numbers and also what intelligence they do and don't gather and use.

Don't judge others by your own standards.

Irrespective of any of that, the point remains that, unless you believe in Santa, we as a public pay for Policing either through the turnstiles, taxes or rates. If you find it amusing to see missmanagement resulting in us funding someone watching football at our financial expense as well as limiting Officer hours available to investigate proper crime, you're right, you're not in any position to have a serious debate on the subject.

12. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

So they do have police inside the stadium then ?

13. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

So you thought the police operation at the KC for the Millwall game was reasonable and proportionate ?

14. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Forgive me if I don't take your 'number of sources' or your 'resonable idea' as fact, the point stands, you simply do not/could not know enough about the subject to make a debate worthwhile.

If we as the paying public do indeed fund part of the bill then I for one am happy to if it ensures I can go and watch football without some idots ruining it. If the police get this wrong from time to time and over police a game, so be it, I'd rather that than them under-estimating and allowing trouble to occur. Our contribution (through tickets and/or taxes) stays the same regardless how many police attend the game, at least I don't remember having to pay a supplement on my season pass on saturday.

Holding a football match limits office hours available to investigate proper crime full stop, so if that's such an issue maybe we should play behind closed doors? Didn't think so.

15. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

No when did I say that?

16. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Of course, did anyone suggest otherwise?

17. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Judging by your other posts in this thread, it's actually a relief to see that you disagree. I see that as meaning I'm far nearer to being right.

I can't begin to imagine who you think pays for the Police at football and to be honest, I'd rather you didn't embarass yourself by trying to explain.

As I posted earlier, you really shouldn't judge people just by your own (by your own admission limited) knowledge.

18. HCAFC (Airlie Tiger)

Great logic, if you think the opposite to someone you disagree with then it means you must be right! How simple your world must be.

You have given me no reason to believe your educated on this subject, in fact when challenged on it you only further convinced me otherwise. The difference between us is I don't form strongly opinionated views on limited knowledge and try and shout others down, I accept that there are things we couldn't possibly know and form balanced views based on that.

As fun as it's been I think we've both had enough (and the rest of the board have had enough of us), so I'll leave it at that.

Enjoy the game tonight.

19. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

I find it odd when the taxi driver who we use talks about rugby. A couple of weeks ago when we got into the taxi he said, they've just scored, I asked him who and he said FC. I then spent ten minutes trying to figure out what football club he meant. The thought just did not occur to me that he was talking about rugby. When I had the light bulb moment I reminded him that I live in Southampton and dont follow RL. The same bloke picked us up later to bring us home and the first thing he said was about City, was it a good match etc.
    My point is this, when I talk to people down here they do not link Hull and rugby unless they are older than me. Nor do they link Hull with football, low scores in social surveys, crime, grime or even Luke Campbell. They know Hull is "up North" and thats it. No one outside of Hull gives a flying **** about what we stand for, play or anything. You may as well talk to them about the moon or Selby. Ask them about Leeds and they know slightly more, Grimsby, Goole, Beverley blank total blank. Ask them where Hull is and they only know that it is North, but thats not hard because the only place south of Southampton is the Isle of Wight. Now it is possible that I have become infected by them by living down here for so long but unless they have lived somewhere else, been to away football matches, to uni or prison, they dont care about Hull FC or Hull KR and really niether do I. The older ones still think Eddy Waring commentates.

20. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Heh, sad but true.

Anyhow, how do we get DMD banned ffs? Talk about stupid arguments and irrational thought processes. I know for a FACT Santa exists so I demand you retract that comment, and ban yourself.

Thanks for the entertainment too btw.