1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jak to Fulham?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Steven Toast, Oct 24, 2016.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

They certainly don't tell the whole story, Jakupovic has only played against two top half teams and we lost both games conceding five goals. Marshall's games have all been against top half teams, except Stoke, where we conceded two goals.

I can understand that people don't think Jakupovic should have been dropped and that Marshall has had a torrid time in his opening four games, but these stats really tell you nothing. Jakupovic is not the worlds best keeper, neither is Marshall a poor keeper, they're both decent.

hovetiger likes this.
  2. Mr. Shoes

Mr. Shoes Well-Known Member

To elaborate on my last post... what people would rather have is academic.

We have spent a lot on Marshall, given him a contract on decent wages and he is first choice.
    AM is our other first choice, and what with his injuries he isn't exactly a saleable asset.

Leaving Jak... who is.

This is as much about money, value, timing, and realities of contracts. Not what people would chose as an ideal preference.

3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Jak seems a likable player. It counts if the rest of the team like him.
    I'm sure last season him and hernandez were good buddies. Didnt Abel seek him out on the subs bench one game early on after he'd scored?
    Could be a reason Abel is unhappy too, seeing his mate get **** on?

djsowtz and CANADATIGER like this.
  4. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Are you getting live streams of our U21 games in Oz?

5. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Im sure i said on one of the pre season friendly games Kuciak looked ok. I thought he was anyway.

6. djsowtz

djsowtz Well-Known Member

I can understand what you are saying, but I have a couple of problems with this. Firstly, it's how you look at the statistics.
    Bournemouth may be in the top half this year, but were 16th last year & should be a team we should be taking something against, but we conceded 6.
    Leicester may be bottom half, but are EPL champions and we were expected to lose, but we won.
    Chelsea had been on a bad run and were there to take a point from imo.
    Burnley had beaten Liverpool a week or two earlier, yet we conceded 5.

So I would say the Jak played against 2 of the top sides, the EPL champions a mid table side and fellow promotees. So top half or bottom half? It really depends on how you look at it.

Secondly, the differences between the stats are not even close, the gap is huge. Jak having conceded a third less goals and the team scored 3 times as many and the points total is incomparable. It's not that I'm anti Marshall, I just think the Jak is the better fit and I feel dropping him like MP did has had severe consequences on the team.

Hopefully in the long run, it pays off, I really hope it does. However, when you look at the fact that Marshall was Cardiff's best player in the year they were relegated, but shipped a **** load of goals, you have to ask yourself, was there a reason why? And is it deja vu?

Fez, CANADATIGER and newlandcasual like this.
  7. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

It isn't just a case of how good of a shot-stopper Marshall and Jakupovic are, it's also how comfortable the defence is with the keeper behind them. Jakupovic was really good at organising the defence and Livermore and Davies seemed more comfortable with him in goal than they do with Marshall. Maybe it's just getting used to Marshall as the new keeper but the chemistry at the back was better with Jakupovic in goal.

GEvans76, GLP and Howden Tigress like this.
  8. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

Both are good keepers, I think that's indisputable. I've not seen City live this season but I've seen most of the games on TV or streams. What I've picked up, right or wrong, is that Jak seemed a bit more engaged with the back 3 or 4 where Marshall sometimes looks (in my opinion) a little bit bewildered by it all.

It could be just that Marshall has faced the tougher teams (Man U, Chelsea, etc) but I do wonder if Jak/Davies/Jake/etc built a strong rapport early in the season which Marshall has been unable to reproduce?

Sorry, bit of a ramble but basically bring Jak back until he screws up.

9. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Well meant in the right way... I hope doesn't need to have a blinder tonight..

Plum likes this.
  10. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Eh?

11. djsowtz

Which bit is the eh? for and I will respond

12. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

The bit about playing Burnley and conceding five?

EDIT: Never mind, I realised what you meant.

waggy66 likes this.
  13. djsowtz

Yes, apologies, it's the way I've written it. If I'm honest, was just being lazy and should have changed it.

14. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Well I think thats that argument settled...

DarbyDays and Howden Tigress like this.
  15. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

Why?

16. hovetiger

hovetiger Well-Known Member

Seems a bit ridiculous that people are looking to blame Marshall for City losing the last 5 games...bottom line is we have been little short of diabolical and the scorelines would have been far worse but for the keeper. Saying we could have spent the money elsewhere is one thing, but saying he is a **** keeper, or saying Hernandez is unhappy because his best mate Jakupovic has been dropped is just stupid.

17. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Has anyone said he's a '**** keeper'? People are just stating that they think it was unfair, and uncalled for, to drop Jak at what appeared the first opportunity, so that the new £5M signing could be shoehorned in.

18. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Jakupovic was superb tonight.

19. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

This. Nobody is blaming Marshall, people are blaming Phelan.

20. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

Really? You seem to want to make the most of a save made at full stretch, that was deflected to the side, not in front of goal and was unlucky to fall to a totally unmarked opposition player well inside our box. No, you're right, ffs, it wasn't perfect, but how many GK are?

It's sad that you turn into a one-trick-pony to criticise Jak at every opportunity, posting that one example, of a less than perfect save, time and again.

On the basis of his performances this season, it is hard to understand how, a head coach can overlook him in a struggling team. It's even harder to understand why you want to take proving your opinion to such ridiculous lengths.