1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

James W P.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tiggermaster, Jan 30, 2015.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

That was my point!!

2. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Its a shame that during a game he does not show the same power and accuracy with his shots as he does with his free kicks, some of his shooting has been really bad. With players like Rickie you knew that anywhere around the box he had the craft to either place his shot or put his boot through it, Pelle as well but not the same accuracy. JWP seems always to be trying to place his shots. Pretty sure he will be a 10 goal a season midfielder in a few years, if we continue playing the same way as he is getting chances but they are coming to his left foot

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Could become one of our penalty takers to break his duck.

4. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Great news. Glad to get him signed up. He's a bright lad so will be aware of how let down the fans were by Lallana so can't see him going the same way.

5. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

It's definitely a confidence thing. Whenever he gets a chance you can almost tell from his face that the keeper looks like an 8 foot giant and the goal has shrunk to a postage stamp.

I think it's a combination of over-thinking and rushing. This sounds a little like a contradiction but he takes a little time to size up the chance, but thinks in his head that a challenge must be coming in, so he doesn't focus entirely on the ball and his technique.
    Jay Rod did this a lot too. We know he has a good technique, but how often did he scuff a chance?

I'd compare the mentality of a goal-scorer/finisher to those in individual technical sports such as Snooker/Darts/Tennis/Golf. When you're focused and in the grove then you're almost not thinking about it. This is probably why strikers go through streaks much like you see the form of individual sportsmen fluctuate

6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

The best at this I've ever seen, by a mile, was Tiss. When he missed it was never, ever by much. I can't actually recall him ballooning a shot in all the games I saw him.