1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Jeremy Clarkson dropped by the BBC

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Amin Yapusi, Mar 10, 2015.

1. SuitedandBooted

SuitedandBooted Well-Known Member

So if you've never watched it why be bothered enough to post about it?

2. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

BOJACKHCAFCMAN Well-Known Member

I've never watched it and learnt anything about cars, obviously I watched it before, I watch anything, even shows with people I can't stand on them. If there was a token female would that bother you so much? I reckon they will put a woman on it anyway or change the format completely,maybe just have one presenter or something as the format is worn out

3. SuitedandBooted

Hence why it will die a death.

4. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

If OLM is right then Netflix will cash in massively by signing Clarkson, loads of people will pay 7 quid a month just to watch his shows. I think it's died a death anyway so without Clarksons fanbase to watch it then you are most likely right, unless people warm to the new presenter/s

5. SuitedandBooted

And only Sky have the big money to be able to buy it off the BBC

6. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure netflix will have enough cash to buy a dead show.

7. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not really arguing, I was just wondering why someone kept changing the thread title when he has obviously been sacked in all but name.

"But this sacking has nothing to do with style, opinions, popularity - or even his language on the show."
    -David Sillito(BBC Media Correspondent)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Sky have said they're not interested, it's between Netflix and ITV.

9. SuitedandBooted

Not as much as Sky has

10. BOJACKHCAFCMAN

Netflix are minted, a big attraction for Clarkson working with them too is that they will give him free reign to do what he wants

11. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Well yeah, he doesn't work for BBC HR. It will be reported as a sacking by lots of news outlets, it doesn't mean it's right.

Just to clarify by channels I didn't mean tv channels. I meant channels as in mediums for policy and procedure.

12. x

x Well-Known Member

interesting slant and not without merit.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsit...kson-true-internationalist/16822#.VRVf9eEpLIU

Jeremy Clarkson: true internationalist

Patrick West
    Columnist

Far from being parochial, Top Gear was loved from Italy to Iran.

Jeremy Clarkson is viewed by his detractors as something of an oaf and a brute, a man whose plainspoken pronouncements on public transport, cyclists, health and safety (‘gone mad’), bus lanes (‘why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?’), public-sector workers going on strike (‘I would have them taken out and executed’) and climate change (‘ecomentalism’) mark him out as a kind of antediluvian embodiment of the Daily Mail. And between his suspension from BBC TV’s Top Gear earlier this month and his final departure this week, not a single censure-ridden profile of Clarkson failed to mention his unkind asides about Mexicans, Burmese and Argentinians.

Yet it is paradoxical, ironic even, that a TV presenter charged with today’s most grievous transgression – racism – has been responsible for creating a show that has an appeal that transcends borders, race and national divisions. Clarkson helped to turn Top Gear into the world’s most successful non-fiction TV programme: in 2013, Guinness World Records proclaimed it the most widely watched factual TV show on Earth.

It is watched by 350million people in 170 countries. It has been dubbed into eight languages. Homegrown versions of it have been created in Australia, Russia, the US, South Korea and, from last week, France. Yet still Top Gear is regarded as a show chiefly for parochial, provincial types who live in a land of ‘converted farmhouses, country pubs, Range Rovers, polo-necks and flat caps, hearty laughs, male solidarity and a steady belief in the Satanic provenance of traffic wardens’, as David Aaronovitch put it in The Times yesterday.

Paleoconservatives disdain Clarkson as much as the metropolitan, liberal left do. The Daily Telegraph’s Timothy Stanley yesterday also bemoaned ‘the cult of Jezza, a cult that is materialistic and brash and a celebration of loadsamoney’. How odd it is to deplore the popularity of this unsophisticated parvenu, when one considers how Top Gear has become the most genuinely internationalist programme… in the world (as Clarkson would put it).

When Clarkson’s suspension was announced, one of the first to express sadness was his Farsi voiceover, Mozaffar Shafeie, who helps to translate Top Gear for the benefit of the show’s multitude of viewers in Iran. As much as it might grate on the tender sensibilities of Clarkson’s detractors in the UK, his oafish, crass manner is actually fundamental to his popularity in the Islamic Republic. ‘His humour is so inappropriate and not at all what you hear on state TV’, said the BBC’s Darius Bazargan, who made a documentary in 2008 about motor racing in Tehran, before adding, ‘that must account for some of [Top Gear’s] appeal’.

13. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Or if a manager gets paid off because of poor results is he sacked?

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Well-Known Member

Would we have had 28 pages and over 550 posts if Jeremy Clarkson had finished his contract and moved on to Sky or Netflix? Would there have been as much speculation on what the new Top Gear would look like? Or interest in who would take over? Will all the publicity boost the viewing figures of the new series as people tune in to see if anyone can replace Jeremy Clarkson? Do the BBC own all Jeremy Clarkson's greatest shows? Can Jeremy Clarkson surpass his greatest hits? If he does will that increase demand for his previous shows? If he doesn't will that increase demand for his previous shows?

Are the BBC laughing all the way to the bank?

Food for thought.

15. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

16. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

Guy Martin is actually serious eye candy fyi and is very watchable in the shows he has done. Mainly because
    1) He knows what he is talking about
    2) He is not Jezza Clarkson
    3) He isn't a massive twat (see point 2)

17. Anal Frank Fingers

Anal Frank Fingers Well-Known Member

I think you're not understanding why 350 million people like Top Gear.

It's because he's a twat and they just do any old **** which they think is funny, which is car related.

People want to see more of the irreverent, childish, dicking around; not eye candy that knows their stuff.

PLT and Mr. Hat 6.3 recurring like this.
  18. Willson

Willson Well-Known Member

I attended a lecture Guy Martin gave about his life and he really isn't a fan of TV or the media in general, he said he just did those things to pay for the tinkering he did in his workshop. He doesn't even own a TV and didn't watch the programs he was a part of. I really can't imagine him wanting to do a show like Top Gear and even if he did I don't think he'd be very good at it. He rambles a fair bit and isn't exactly quick witted or intelligent. I personally didn't find him entertaining as a speaker and I don't think he could ever hope to compete with Clarkson in terms of capturing the attention of people from all around the world.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  19. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

You mean, the wurrrld.

20. BOJACKHCAFCMAN