1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose Mourinho - ''First season at Man Utd has been the toughest year of my career''

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, May 12, 2017.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

My personal opinion is that if we don't win the EL then his position will be looked at. And I think that due to the fact he has blatantly given up on champions league qualification via the league route then this is only right. Arsenal, City and Liverpool have all stumbled on various occasions and we have resolutely refused to challenge them and so it is for this reason his position should be reviewed if we don't get in the CL.

That said, if we do then he's had a good season all things considered. Such are the margins so it'll be an interesting week. I don't expect much tomorrow but I would think he will pick as strong a team as is reasonably possible on Sunday and have them go out to try to win the game freely, anything else is just taking the piss out of those in the ground (and I will be there!).

The style and performances on the pitch are a vast improvement on the lvg period though. Don't look at stats, watch the ****ing games. They tell you what you need to know, not stats.

However, we've been **** and downright cowardly at times against an opposition of quality and this will have to change next season. If Chelsea, or City or Spurs or anyone else decent like Leicester, turn up at Old Trafford I would expect us to go out to win, not go out to not lose.

So, it could be two trophies and CL qualification and we're all chuffed to bits. Or it could be one trophy, the EL again and the possible sack. Twitchy bum time indeed.

2. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

How confident are you on an EL victory? 60 - 40, 75 - 25? What?

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I don't know, I've got no indicator of form as we've not really bothered much in the last few league games and the EL recently has been two legged affairs.

A fit first team and I'd say I am highly confident of beating Ajax. Given suspension and injury in key positions, namely centre forward and centre half, I am less so.

80 -20 I would go for.

I would pick the following team;

de Gea
    Valencia
    Jones
    Smalling
    Young
    Mata
    Herrera
    Pogba
    Martial
    Rashford
    Mkhytarian.

playing 4 3 3 and expect to win.

The two centre halves scare the **** out of me and Young isn't really a left back but is in my opinion a better option than Darmian or Blind. He might be injured though?

I have no doubt though that Mourinho will not pick Mata ahead of Fellaini, which rids the midfield of a lot of it's guile and gives the opposition its best source of the ball and a potential walking red card. I'd take Carrick over Mata if it meant Fellaini did not play.

4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

To me if United win the Final, then he would have had a good season: no matter what this implies as to the strength of the team, he would have 2 major trophies (one domestic and one European) and would have gone straight to the CL without the lottery of the playoff (incidentally it looks like the RS could well meet some top club in the play off for CL and be dumped even before joining the league proper- and the deluded fools don't even realise this ).

If he loses, he would have had an appalling season. And would deserve to be criticised. He would have missed the CL by trying until the last minute to go after both top 4 and the Europa when focusing early on one only e.g top 4 would have given United a greater chance of a better ranking.

Ajax are young and will play within fear but United are more experienced. I can see JM playing defensive and on the counterattack.

He'll play blind instead of young (who is injured) and Fellaini instead of Mata.

5. Red Hadron Collider

Er. Yes we do. Very clearly. Indeed <doh>

6. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I'm sure I heard that the Europa League winners would also have to go through one 2 legged qualifier to get to the CL?

Imagine if we got Liverpool in the draw <laugh>

7. Red Hadron Collider

You're wrong <ok>

8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only if the CL winners don't qualify for the group stage through league position. Both Real and Juve should qualify so us or Ajax go straight into the groups.

King Shergar likes this.
  9. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Not likely to happen then, unless the Champions League winners get very lucky <whistle>

10. Christiansmith

The rat pack including Martin "monkey face" Keown and Jamie "retarded scouser " carragher are gunning for JM. I can understand it if it is justified. But they are giving him stick for United being toothless against the Saints. Was anyone expecting a great adventurous exciting match? It wouldn't surprise me that they pilloried him if United got beaten by Palace. A completely dead rubber for United. Fixed in sixth, whatever the result. JM will only use the match to give a run for some of his key players in preparation for Wednesday.

11. Christiansmith

Of course the experts (poets as JM calls them) are now retreating. Why dont they never learn as their predictions of gloom for United fail to materialise yet again? Some are giving him grudging credit, laced with sneering comments about his football. They are waking up to the fact that Kloppyflop the man they praised for (luckily) getting the CL qualifiers has performed far less well than the man they have heavily criticised for a poor season, yet winning 2 trophies, including a European one plus automatic qualification into champions league.

12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

You somehow beat a Southampton team who were far better than you on the day and scraped to the final because Guidetti missed a sitter after an atrocious United performance. By all means be happy you've ended the season with two trophies but to credit Mourinho as some sort of genius for spending a shedload of cash, playing dross football and rolling over a team of children in a competition you should be too good to be in is off the mark.

13. Christiansmith

That's why he is good at winning finals and trophies. <whistle>

Ok, so now that United have won it, they were too good for the Europa in the first place <laugh>, so lose they are rubbish, win they are rubbish too as the Europa was beneath them anyway and Ajax was a team of children. United shouldn't have bothered ok? Funny we never heard the ABUs dismissing Ajax before the final as they were desperately rimming their players to beat united <laugh>

United should be too good to be in the competition, scraped to final, Mourinho is not a genius (which I never said he was btw), Ajax a team of children, Saints far better, United atrocious, dross football... someone is really upset haha <laugh>

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Would that be the competition that Spurs (you know, second best team in the PL) were in and got knocked out by one of these "lesser" teams ?
    Teams that are allegedly "too good " to be in the EL drop into it every year either by just missing out on CL qualification or dropping out of the CL, very few of them win it.

cytrax likes this.
  15. Bwood_Ranger

I don't really care. I'm a neutral in a match between United and Southampton or Ajax but I find this need to label Mourinho as something better than he is quite odd. And yes you should be too good for it, you did scrape to the final, Ajax are a very young team, Saints were the better side and you got there playing poor football so I don't know what was wrong in what I said.

I'm not saying it's rubbish to win the Europa- you can only win the competition you are in- but it's not much of an achievement for a club of United's calibre. Anyone also adding the Charity Shield in to the equation should probably be shot on the spot.

16. Bwood_Ranger

Yes that would be the one. Spurs ballsed up hugely but you should be streets ahead of Spurs.

17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Why should we be streets ahead of Spurs, they have a very good team/squad :huh:

18. Christiansmith

Haha

Of course you are a neutral. And of course united won the trophies by luck and of course united fans should not view them as achievements although if they had failed to win anything they would been severely criticised. <laugh> <applause>

United should be blasted for winning a domestic trophy and a European cup which English clubs have found really difficult to win (the RS included :) ) ... of course.

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Sounds a bit like King Ossie on the Chav board, according to him everything we have ever won has been against poor opposition or weak leagues, **** knows what happens to all the other teams so often <laugh>

Christiansmith likes this.
  20. Bwood_Ranger

Yes, I don't support Southampton nor Ajax, hence a neutral. The world isn't out to hate United as much as you want it to be the case.

Yes they would have been criticised because you were by far the biggest club in it with the greatest resources. Like Newcastle stumbling across the line in the Championship- they beat what was there just about but really shouldn't have let themselves be in that position in the first place. Liverpool ****ing it up last season doesn't make it a bigger deal than it is.