1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Just Back From Holiday. WTF?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brixham Saint, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Got back today so went down the pub to watch my first game of the season, and wish I hadn't. Have seen a few comments of the first couple of games but my God have we gone backwards if this is what we are to serve up this season. I was worried that we were selling quality players and buying in very mediocre replacements. Got back to see Romelu has signed, he was invisible tonight along with most of the team. JWP, for gods sake take your chance when selected, as didn't even realise he was playing tonight. Before people start going on about bed wetting etc etc, I was saying several weeks ago that we are replacing quality with very average players, and I hope I'm wrong but looking at tonight we are in for a long tough season. What has happened to Fonte? He looked nervous and unsure tonight, so FFS go and spend some bloody money on a quality CB to partner the man. Anyway rant over and SORRY.

latviandream likes this.
  2. TBD

TBD Active Member

Awful performance but then what can we do. Developing players doesn't matter they'll only leave, world class training facilities don't matter. Nothing matters but wages, every last single player on that pitch couldn't care less about the club or the fans which pay their wages. All they care about is the money in their pocket. The success this club has achieved has been remarkable but we'll get no further because we refuse to behave irresponsibly and spend disgusting money on wages. I love the way this club is run but top level football is just purely a business, like the presidential race in the u.s, whoever pays the most wins.

I truly hope this bubble bursts and most clubs go bust, then we can maybe get back to clubs being about the community they 'represent'. Players who the average fan can have some sort of connection to and all these prawn sandwich trendy pri**s can go and follow the latest fad. Then our SPORT could become a SPORT again and not a business, alas while football can be used to sell sh**e broadband it looks a long way off.

Number 1 Jasper and PapaWaigo like this.
  3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Didn't bother watching the game as I had a sixth sense it wasn't going to be good.

4. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Didn't read you're OP as it looked a bit depressing. Reminds me of going out in LC last year, good chance missed. But last year we were doing well in the league. Couple of league wins and things will feel better.

5. The Ides of March

There's only one high profile club that fits that description and that is our old friends Athletic Bilbao!! Come on it is not the end of the world. Best thing is to live in the present because football the way you have described it has long gone. And at the end of the day if the game pi**es you off there are many other alternatives to enjoy.

6. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Hope you had a nice holiday.....go anywhere nice?

Regards to football Ron and everybody from players to back room staff have a lot of work to do............starting Sunday.

7. TBD

TBD Active Member

Yeh that's the point I guess, from a moral point of view I find it hard to justify following such a horribly capitalist machine. But I flipping love saints and football so it's hard to give it up. The thing is though it could be changed, at the end of the day the buble only exists because we pay huge ticket prices and TV subscriptions, collective action could really shake things up. It's hard to see it happening though I agree.

8. The Ides of March

I have not seen Saints since we lost 3-1 to Reading in the Championship. No way am I going to pay super high prices. Nor will I subscribe to TV channels just to see a carp football match, The Athletics is far more enjoyable.

9. Saint_rob

Saint_rob Member

Can't see any Team breaking into the top 4 for the next 5 years.
    Not even Spuds or Liverpool.
    It will be Chelsea, Man City, Man U & Arsenal in some order.

10. Saints14

Saints14 Active Member

I rather Saturday matchdays anyhow:biggrin:

11. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

I do get the feeling we were out of our depth tbh,and get back playing on a Saturday hopefully will settle the team back down.
    Never had the squad to play Europa league,squad not deep enough or good enough.
    Players wanting to leave,struggling to get bodies in of any real quality,better off out of it imo and concentrate on the league and cups,and let the better equipped teams crack on.

manxsaint likes this.
  12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Concentrating on the league and cups could lead us to, I don't know, qualify for the Europa League? We are not better off out of it. We wanted to be in it and we wanted to progress. It would seem we weren't equipped, but after the two games against Vitesse and a 5-0 win, there weren't many saying that. I wasn't. It all looked ok to me then.

Perhaps the preparation wasn't right or the squad not right for it, but we certainly wanted it and should want it. It's a stepping stone in our progression and where we want to get to.

It didn't go as planned, that's for sure.

PapaWaigo and King Grimlock like this.
  13. fatletiss

Your country needs you. Stay in the trenches man!

14. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Nicely put. This squad is quite capable of emulating last years achievements and going one better. But right now we have very low confidence.

15. Craig smith

Craig smith Well-Known Member

Maybe we need to do a " West Ham" then
    Yes you're right after Vitesse it was looking good,but it just goes to show how limited the squad is.
    For me I would like to see better application in the cups than what we have achieved recently,and then if it leads to Europa league then we either do a West Ham as I said previously or get a half decent squad.
    I have my opinions on the squad of which I won't elaborate on because people get really passionate about but let's just say Martini isn't a Clyne.
    So summing up for me better squad and go for it or get out of it at the first opportunity.

16. Brixham Saint

Brixham Saint Well-Known Member

Yes it was a pretty poor performance last night, the players and staff need to pick themselves up, as our season now starts on Sunday. Looking from the outside in,the atmosphere appears no where near to what we have been used to viewing from both players and Ron. The togerthness does not appear to be there when viewing the training galleries and interviews with no one hardly smiling or laughing. All the rumours again around VW and Mane, Jose as well, are starting to take their toll. Jose has asked fans to get behind the team on Sunday, and I will, but please man start bloody smiling again and enjoying your football. Yes we need to get behind the team on Sunday, but let's see some passion as this is the one thing all saints fans should expect at the very least. Don't want a repeat performance of last nights effort as reminded me of the Branfoot days. Lol

17. fatletiss

I don't think the dust is settled yet. Not being rude but I also hope we don't get a dozen of these threads popping up. A lot of people felt down and there are a couple of threads that these thoughts can be put in.

Please don't take offence, just trying to keep board tidy :) before each fan starts a thread in what was wrong and what is needed.

On the smiling at the training ground, did you see the last ones? Maya and Jose giggling away, smiles and laughter.

What makes fans, players and managers smile more than anything is a win. What we need is a win. Just go back to the Vitesse game. All seemed rosey.

Missing Lambo likes this.
  18. Shepherd's Clearing

Shepherd's Clearing Well-Known Member

Winning means being able to kick the ball into the big netty thing at the end of the pitch, something we have failed miserable at for sometime now. I don't see much smiling going on after Sunday myself.

19. fatletiss

You mention better application in the cups. Last year Ron seemed to take it seriously and we reached the quarters of the League cup, when we had a few out and it was just one of those **** nights. It was disappointing going out in the FA Cup, to what turned out to be a revitalised Palace. Let's hope that we've settled before the MK game.

On the squad, I'm still going to give it time. I agree on Martina, however the rest is still ok for me. I can't judge Juanmi yet as he's not even had a start. Looks like we'll get the CB we need and I'd still like another attacking player. The key for me is confidence. If they can find some believe, then we can hopefully start to gel and put a run of results together.

It was only 2 weeks back people were listing two decent looking Saints sides.

Stekkers

Cedric. Fonte. CB. Bertrand

Vic. Clasie. Romeu

Mane. Pelle. Tadic

Top three can be changed with Jay, Long, Juanmi
    Midfield having JWP, Davis, Reed backing up
    Defenders: Maya, Caulker, Targett as back up

Doesn't seem too bad to me. As I said above, I'd like either another attacker or attacking midfielder.

20. fatletiss

We just need one to go in off someone's arse and we'll be away.

Keeping Tadic fit could be important. He is our most creative player at the moment.

shoot_spiderman likes this.