1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Karoo broadband speeds

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by miff33, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

You know all those 'Fishing & cricket*' sites you go on & then wonder why - your e.g. facebook account gets hacked .... they leave malware (malicious programmes at best slow your computer send 'information to 3rd parties at worst you get hacked) ... your friends on Facebook then get 'unusual message' ...
    malwarebytes - - the first time you use it = you will be amazed at all the crap you have 'collected'
    Dowload the program (the free one) & run once a week
    (Ps - stop doing all those 'quizzes & mazing free competitions' on Facebook etc ...)

2. lexg

lexg Member

Yes - turn it off and on. I'm getting over 200 and 29 up.

3. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Thanks but I was referring to your sentence with too many ands and a missing comma somewhere. Reminds me of the classic pub sign writer producing a sign saying Bull and Bush. The landlord complained he had left too big a space between bull and and and and and bush.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. Ocean_going_chicken

Depends upon which package you're on.

please log in to view this image

5. Tiger Barmy

Tiger Barmy Active Member

I'm on lightstream and get around 72 down load and 20 upload. never had bother with karoo.

6. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

As someone else said it depends what package you're on. They have a 50Mbps package so you're probably on that. Lightstream speeds are guaranteed to be above a specific point (whereas standard broadband is always 'up to x speed'), so generally whatever package you're on you'll get a bit more than that.

As for the OP. Anyone on standard broadband will have fluctuations with their Internet speeds and performance from time to time. It's because of the 100 year old piece of copper serving your house, not because the ISP's entire network is down. This is the same wherever you are in the country and people complain just as bitterly elsewhere as people here do about KC. Everyone moans about their ISP. Last time I checked, Ofcom's speedtests actually showed KC as the fastest provider of standard broadband for several years in a row. The Lightstream stuff is unquestionably miles better than anything else the national providers are doing. I won't go into why but look it up if you're interested.

Anyway, as someone else said, let them know if you're having problems. They have a load of people paid to fix this stuff and they're a free local call away. It's a ballache with copper broadband because it's usually something fiddly inside your house that's causing the problem and its hard to identify, but listen to them and do what they ask you to and they will figure it out. It might sound like you're being fobbed off but there is logic behind what they're saying. If they ask you to do something and it doesnt fix it ring them back and tell them, it's often a process of elimination rather than a guaranteed immediate fix.

Willson and .... like this.
  7. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Yeah mine keeps dropping out.
    Its a nightmare when the kids are off school.
    They just clog up the system

8. Willson

Willson Well-Known Member

Exactly true what you're saying, it's a process of elimination, call back repeatedly until the issue is fixed, chances are it's an issue with your equipment or internal wiring anyway and it's got nothing to do with KCOM's network.

PLT likes this.
  9. Willson

Willson Well-Known Member

Depends what package you're on, I'd guess at those speeds you're on the 75Mb/s one and the 10Mb/s loss is due to you connecting wirelessly. Plug in through ethernet and you will get the speed you're paying for or better. 65Mb/s is more than good enough for 99% of people. It would allow for about 6 different people to stream in HD all at the same time without buffering.