1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Keep Phelan manager?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by armchairfan, Aug 13, 2016.

1. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

We are definitely playing a better style of football, and more importantly an effective style. This was evident in preseason also, and he has just continued it into the season.

Geo10 likes this.
  2. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

oh but but but SB is our best ever manager............... we are hull... we regard change with suspicion... no lets remain the same
    lets get PB

3. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Really?

We played a very cautious game today by all accounts, before scoring 2 in the last 10 minutes.
    I'm happy as ****, as I'm not one of these ****ers demanding entertainment and attacking football.
    Now I'm reading Phelan is to be praised for his positive, front-foot football.

Guess what? It's the oldest rule in the book. Win and you're a genius, lose and you're a ****.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  4. PattyNchips2

PattyNchips2 Well-Known Member

compared to SB?
    hmm Id rather have Phelan

5. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

The main point I think is that we were attacking at the end rather than just trying to shut up shop.

I think our passing was better in the Leicester game but we still played well enough in this one, certainly well enough for Swansea.

BOJACKHCAFCMAN and CANADATIGER like this.
  6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

We looked dangerous on the break all game and we continued that approach for ninety minutes.

It's disappointing to see armchair pundits/managers/tacticians talking down the achievements of our manager...

7. AmalCarb

AmalCarb Well-Known Member

Thoroughly deserved the win. Acid test next week for 606 Waldorf and Statler types as Hull's infamous OPE reds infiltrate the upper west.

You've been warned.

Phelan OUT

8. citycityhull

citycityhull Well-Known Member

Exactly ... some people just dont understand tactics.

I was impressed with Phelans post match interview, saying how we had to conserve enery for 75 mins because of lack of players, the give it to them last 15m.

we had to be on the counter yesterday, and we worked it well. Brilliantly set up and executed - that is the sign of a good manager

BOJACKHCAFCMAN likes this.
  9. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Nice to see us attack with a bit of tempo.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  10. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Yes Really, I have been to all the preseason games bar the Austria trip, and with the 2 league games so far, IMO we are passing the ball better, we are playing the ball out from the back rather that booting it up the field and then the ball coming straight back, we are not just going deeper and deeper towards the end of the game, we are actually playing more in the opposition half. There seems to be much more or plan in place for each game, and so far Phelan in the 2 games has got is tactics spot on.

11. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Remind me how Leicester won the Premiership last year!!!!??

12. Party Hull!

Party Hull! Well-Known Member

He was an unknown quantity in terms of being the man in charge, but a lot of us wanted to give him a go just for some semblance of order amidst all the chaos. I doubt any of us would have thought he'd look this assured.

He has to get it. Has to.

He looks like he belongs there.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  13. City Man

They got more points than anyone else.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  14. City Man

So we were set up to defend for the point, with an eye for a cheeky breakaway goal?
    Amazing.

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Keep digging. <laugh>

16. City Man

Guilty as charged, m'lud.

In my defence, I will say that I have never been an armchair manager who makes bogus claims to do so.

17. armchairfan

armchairfan Well-Known Member

I remember a game in the top tier we had at Swansea about 3 seasons ago, they were terrible. It was like we were bossing the game but had no ideas going forward. Ended 0-0 but it felt like a loss to me. This game will help wash that out of my memory.

Phelan obviously still has future tactical challenges, such as when teams are sat back against us. More speed combined with alert and technically good players in the middle and up front would be great in this transfer window. Every little bit of creativity we can add would help. Maloney is back which is great but you never know when he'll get injured.

18. City Man

Our starting X1 is very decent, just that we have zero cover, so the whole thing is in imminent danger of disaster.
    We've played 2 games against teams who thought "We'll beat this lot down on their luck", but they have underestimated our determination and organization.
    Surely we all know that newly promoted clubs have a honeymoon period where their weaknesses have not yet been identified and targeted?
    A few more games and I'm sure we'll have been studied by the opposition more. Plus I don't know how long this intensity of performance that we've put in will last.
    All I know is that every point gained is a point nearer to safety and that we're giving ourselves a fighting chance by not getting isolated down at the bottom, so that the points per game target becomes totally unrealistic.

PattyNchips2 likes this.
  19. SydneyTiger14

SydneyTiger14 Well-Known Member

We drew 1-1 there in 13/14 if that's what you're thinking of? We should have won that game and played quite well.

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Doubts over Mike Phelan gone after Swansea win

please log in to view this image

If there was any doubt still lingering over Mike Phelan's suitability to become the long-term successor to Steve Bruce, all that was surely left behind in South Wales.

A second win of the season confirmed that Hull City are the flourishing underdog on their return to the Premier League and Phelan is the man inspiring this unlikely journey.

He and 13 senior professionals are making a mockery of doomsday predictions that accompanied them into the new campaign.

Just like the opening day win over the reigning Premier League champions Leicester City, the Tigers laughed in the face of logic again at the Liberty Stadium.

Late goals from Shaun Maloney and Abel Hernandez were enough to take Swansea's scalp and extended a 100 per cent record matched only by Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea.

Supporters who had feared a meltdown 10 days ago are suddenly pinching themselves. Nothing sums up Phelan's success as caretaker like the challenges he has faced before the season and now.

After battling to pick up a flattened group, his new remit is to keep feet planted on the ground. Phelan has also won over supporters in this rapid transformation of spirits.

As well as proclaiming ambitions to win the title in Saturday's first ever win at the Liberty Stadium, the 500 or so travelling fans sang "We want Phelan in" during a seemingly unanimous show of support.

please log in to view this image

"It was nice to hear them singing that," said Phelan. "It's better than hearing them singing 'We want Phelan out'. I am sure if I do stay I will get the white handkerchiefs at some stage this season.

"But all I can do is win football matches and at this moment in time that's what we are doing. Credit to the players, they stuck to their tasks, got the result, and I'm delighted for everyone. You have to have belief in your players and your football club, although my experience tells me not to get too carried away."

Common threads have run through City's opening two games and Phelan has been the man responsible. The unity shown by a depleted squad owes much to the respect they hold for the caretaker boss, while both victories against Leicester and Swansea have come on the back of tactically astute approaches.

Phelan, who served for long under Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, is proving himself to be no green rookie in the dug-out. City are playing to their strengths under their caretaker boss, just as Saturday underlined.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/hull...tory-29640907-detail/story.html#ixzz4I3SkTXWp