1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

King Power Stadium expansion

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

Plans are firmly under way at making the KP Stadium bigger. We are looking at putting another tier on the east stand to bring the capicity up to 42,000

I would deffo do it as it what we need to do now to help sustain the club in the higher levels of the Prem

2. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

If that is the case then we could still play at the ground while work is carried out - previous plans had us expanding east and south as single tier and would have meant we would have had to play elsewhere for a while.

3. Proud Fox

Yes. Liverpool did it themselves last season and Man City the year before

A stand effectively get built behind the current stand and during pre season which is when they join the stands together as one

4. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Thank christ i might actually be able to get a ticket.

5. Champions of England

Champions of England Active Member

It will all be manufactured off site and transported and erected on site, obviously, so no disruption to the current stadium because all work is carried out behind. The roof will eventually come off and and it'll be connected somehow but it 100% won't affect anything inside.

I believe Perspex will be used to separate home and away fans next season, I've been told by the same source as the one who told me about the stadium and new training ground, which will have a 9 hole golf course on it for staff use.

I actually suggested this to him sometime back after watching Germany v England so I don't know if I can take credit but I don't care about that, we'll be the first in the country to have perspex and it will increase capacity.

6. LEICESTER FOSSE

LEICESTER FOSSE Active Member

Yeah l know what you mean. Strange how full the stadium is and how hard it is to watch City play now a days.... 3 years earlier, back in the mid table championships days you didn´t need a membership...l say build it to 60,000 give every one a chance to see them even if it means a few empty seats.

7. LeicesterWizard

LeicesterWizard Well-Known Member

Yeah used to be no problem getting tickets in the championship given that there was only between 18k and 21k there. Its just the draw of the premier league i suppose.

I guess sacrifices have to be made, would rather struggle to get tickets with the club heading in the right direction than get them easily in the championship.

8. Champions of England

If the owners knew they could fill a 60k stadium they would build it now. They want to end at 72k as I've alluded to before and they hope it will be possible to attract that many if we're in the top four and challenging for titles.

If the crowds keep coming they'll keep building.

9. Proud Fox

The King Power has a maximum potential capicity of 55,000 so they wont be able to go past it. Every stand other then the West stand can be built onto

10. Champions of England

Old plans did on the old foundations but the extensions are being built on new foundations and the new maximum capacity is 72k. Trust me I do know this 100%.

11. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

A golf course? That is taking the piss given the ****hole where our womens/girls teams are playing.

As for perspex walls, thought that was illegal as there can't be any barriers that there is potential to be crushed against.

12. Champions of England

Why is it taking the piss? The women's football has nothing to do with LCFC and our owners are spending money on our staff and players and the course is for their enjoyment. I don't see how you find an issue with that?

Well Perspex is legal in Germany and I've been told they're having it installed so I'm not sure but that's what was said. I personally don't see an issue with crushing and I don't see how it would even be an issue, I mean crowd surges are always forwards not sideways and you're not going to have hundreds of fans pushing up against it, that just isn't realistic in the slightest.

13. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

LCWFC are our official women's team and wear our badge so we should look out for them as well. Our owners do seem like good chaps and I'm sure that this will be rectified if it hasn't been already as if we can't toss them a couple of quid to do up their ground, to at least to the standards of the community football club across the street, but have enough for a private golf club is taking the piss imo.

As for perspex - fair enough. Is sad that we need such things but gives us extra seats which is a good thing.

14. Champions of England

Oh I see, didn't realise that. Yeah I hope they chuck them a few quid too.

In Australia fans are all mixed, even for State of Origin (QLD v NSW) NRL, the biggest grudge match in the country yet no issue being in the same stands or pubs together to watch games but it leads to no atmosphere.

For as long as I can remember fans have always been separated, mostly by big metal fences so Perspex would be a huge step up from that and it's much better than hundreds of seats being out of use, especially when people are struggling for tickets.

15. Champions of England

I should be more accurate, I've only ever known fans to be separated but I believe there was a time in the 50's/60's that they weren't?

16. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

Dont know about the 50s but in the 60s we were seperated by a line of coppers down the steps.

17. Champions of England

Yeah I was thinking afterwards that it must have been before that, maybe as long back as before the war.

18. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Whenever I've been to Walkers/KP Stadium, they have been blocking off the seating around the away fans and have a line of stewards on the stairs - the below pic is from an away fan in 2013 but is still the same now.

If we have perspex, it could mean that we can reclaim those covered seats.

In rugby they do not segregate and it has always been good for me.

19. Champions of England

Yeah exactly and that's the "plan".

I hope it is legal because it will be great if they can do it because it will make around 500 seats available.

From what I heard we will have them next season but if it's not legal then I guess it's just something they wanted to do so fingers crossed. I'll find out for sure next meeting.

20. nzfoxfan

nzfoxfan Well-Known Member

I cant think of any other sport other than football where fans are separated. Comes back to the tribal thing I believe. In NZ we only get a couple of blokes and a dog watching so no need. In fact they are both probably watching the dog.

Diego likes this.