1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kodjia rubbish?? Really!

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by banksyisourhero, Aug 30, 2016.

1. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

A friend of mine played golf with Jonathan Kodjia last week and told me all he did for 18 holes was tell his group how good he is, how is going to the top and said it was all about him. A conceited man one could say!
    I have seen all over twitter how we have mugged off Villa, he's not that good, can't use his left foot, can't stay onside!

Its rubbish.

Without that ego he wouldn't have the ability to play and score the goals he does, utter inner belief and confidence in his own ability!

He has just kept a poorly performing side in the championship with 20 odd goals last season, he made numerous chances (a sign of a good player, they will never take them all) and has a pace about him that truly troubles defences, this despite our side being bereft of confidence last year after an abysmal start and the 'creative' players who were supposed to supply him being woefully out of form. He has just allowed us to bank £9m profit immediately with more to come and a sell on clause too, ( I stated on this forum only weeks ago that £15m was not impossible!)

If he is played up front with a quality centre forward he will tear this league apart, of that I am sure. We heard all this bollocks about Andy Cole when we sold him. He never did anything did he!

We have a lot to thank Kodjia for and I for one enjoyed watching him play, Shame he has acted like a bit of a cock in getting out but it seems par for the course these days.

I think his brief visit here has helped us climb a couple of pegs in reputation for the better and I thank him for that, if you want make good money off quality players there is always a downside, they're not always the most likeable people.

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Should of been a winger ;)

ibodyslamrhinos likes this.
  3. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

Totally agree!

4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I'm completely with you banksy - I've said elsewhere that fans like to spout off about 'loyalty', but they themselves don't show it to players they don't rate. They'll say 'good riddance - we only want players who are proud to play for Bristol City', but frankly, if we fielded a team made up entirely of academy players from the local area we'd be decimated most weeks, just like any club would. If you're going to hold values like that, you might as well call Louis Carey a traitor for moving to Coventry and especially Cole Skuse for going to Ipswich.

If rumours are true that he refused to train ahead of the Villa match because he wanted to move, then that's inexcusable - whilst he's employed and paid a pretty penny by a club, he should act like a professional and do what's expected of him (though, it didn't affect our performance against Villa and maybe we saved some wage money in fines!). Otherwise, we should be glad that he did a good job for us whilst he was here and that we got an excellent price for him. Hopefully, we already have a replacement lined up.

BCFCRob and banksyisourhero like this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Kodjia is definitely NOT rubbish, but if it was US forking out 15m for him I would be very worried that we MAY be setting expectations of him too high.
    I would have been happy if he stayed, but hey ho he's gone and I think we did rather well out of it financially.

Now FLINT going would definitely worry me. ......

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    gdknac likes this.
  6. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Unsure how Jonathan Kodjia could be compared to Andy Cole. Cole was under priced when sold to Newcastle. Oozed class. Remember thinking "what are you doing here?" Too good for City at the time.

Jonathan Kodjia? Not rubbish, but his game is riddled with flaws. I won't miss seeing him take on two, three, four players when he could have kept it simple and played a team mate in. Brain dead at times.

It will be an interesting one to watch. He may end up warming the bench in six weeks time if his last disinterested appearances in a City shirt are a barometer of the future, or Villa discover he is not what they hoped they had purchased. Hope not.

gdknac and Red Robin like this.
  7. banksyisourhero

Andy Cole was also constantly berated for needing '5 chances' per goal. most famously by Glenn Hoddle,thats the comparison, it was rubbish. Cole was sold for what £2.75m? by us, a fortune then.

I agree that he plays for himself but that was my point. his desire to be 'the showpiece' has worked for himself and banked us £9m at the very least.

I believe he will go on to continue scoring goals at a high rate, more so with better quality players.

But we will see.

8. RedorDead

Andy Cole went for £1.75 million. Manager Dennis Smith didn't want to sell him so refused all offers. He then gets sacked and Russell Osman put in charge. First job was for him to put a note on Andy Cole's car windscreen whilst he was in the laundrette to say offer accepted you need to get to Newcastle.

No I'm not bitter one bit over that one <grr>

9. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

We have mugged villa twice in a week.
    What I do now is the money needs to be spent quickly on two quality strikers.
    :1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down::1980_boogie_down:
    15 million not a cat in hells chance was he worth that at his current one season wonder.
    His whole persona was shocking this season,glad it is all sorted and he has gone
    <applause><applause><applause>

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

11. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Maynard, Cole and Kodija were here for a similar amount of time.
    In my opinion Andy Cole was the much better player.
    We were unlucky to miss out on the £6million Leicester bid for Maynard, and where is he now ?
    Christmas has come very early with a certain £11million and possible £15million from Villa.

'We have mugged villa twice in a week'. - spot on.
    Kodija might find it harder than he thinks to get in ahead of Gestede, Ayew and McCormack.

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

R&W
    Thanks for the ja606 post, it brought back many happy memories rowing with 1For and his partner in crime Redside.
    Hanuit was the best on that forum.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  13. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Take a million off, then five hundred thousand paid to Arsenal. City got mugged off. Pennies for class. Any City fan with half a brain could see he would be top notch.

Scored more than one in two for Newcastle and Manchester United. Honestly doubt he had ten chances a game to achieve that. So yes it was rubbish.

Jonathan Kodjia .. Villa have taken a punt. Its championship team to ... No comparison.

14. RedorDead

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

To be fair Russell Osman did have Nigel Hawkins and Junior Bent to take over from the best forward I have seen in a City shirt. Masterstroke.

RedorDead likes this.
  16. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

And that's most day footballers and their greedy blood sucking agents. I have no issues if a player thinks they are better than where they are at and wish to move on but anyone who fails to train or put in the requisite effort should be ashamed of themselves. One would like to think that the acquiring club would have second thoughts as it could easily be their club next time....but greed now trumps everything in football.

17. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Kodjia isn't rubbish but isn't any more than a decent championship striker who had a good season last year- He has pace but that would be cancelled out in the Prem by equally as quick defenders. The Prem also wouldn't allow you anything like as many chances and I somehow doubt he would into double figures for a season.

What ever his demeanour and I have my own opinion on that one, he has gone now, made us a handsome profit and gave us 20 reasons to cheer last year, so we should be grateful.
    As someone said earlier, Flint going would worry me more-

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  18. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Well I did say he was one footed when he signed - and having seen him play for a season he is!

He did a good job for us and ideally I would have wanted him to stay but £15 million - I say again £15m!!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Football has gone mad it really has.

For that much money I would expect a striker to take chances - for me Jimmy is the sort of striker that scores 1 out of 4 chances.

Still I hope it goes well - we want it to so we get the other £4m in add-ons

19. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I very much doubt that Flint will be leaving.
    Kodjia ia a good Championship player, but certainly no Andy Cole, or Tom Ritchie

20. banksyisourhero

My apologies, £1.75m of course.

Doesn't change the fact though I heard loads of City fans saying he was rubbish and we had mugged Newcastle.

Clueless..