1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I'm off to see that at the Harbour Lights in Southampton tomorrow evening - using one of my free tickets :1980_boogie_down:

Expecting to be wowed, so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed! But with a cast like that, I shouldn't be!!! Will report back :emoticon-0100-smile

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

You can literally train yourself to go back to being more experimental Fran. I got into some cosy stuff and for a long while I couldn't watch anything that was too involving, bearing in mind that I don't like watching too much TV in the first place. So the best thing I found is to cherry pick and choose and turn the flaming TV off when the quality drops or when I've simply seen too much.

But I'm looking forward to Dad's Army too. Whoever said that was dross anyway. :)

3. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

My wife loved it. Probably more than I did to be honest, but then again she always did like blood and guts films. The Hateful Eight was another one.

davecg69 likes this.
  4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Maurice White, the vocalist from Earth, Wind & Fire has died :(

5. Fly

Fly Active Member

R.I.P Another legend.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

R.I.P

7. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

He was the founder member of a great group who sang many a memorable song in a long, long career. He will be fondly remembered by me. RIP Maurice. Favourite EWF song of mine "Reasons."

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  9. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

It's a shame they couldn't be kept a secret because you just know that some rich git is going to go looking for them with a dozen rifles in his baggage. :headbang:

Keep safe, you gorgeous creatures (the lions, not the hunters...)

davecg69, fatletiss and ChilcoSaint like this.
  10. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Good news.

In the same section I came across a news report about the new Easygroup [EasyJet-Stelios] foodstore opening. Whilst it's not something that I need, I can see its place in the food chain. The marketing expert there doubted its niche because he said it ran in the face of trends. He said people like to shop in nice stores with better ranges and choice.

And so they do. But this is modern Conservative GB matey. There are a lot of poor people around.

And the success or failure of the store on its opening day? It had to close early. They'd sold everything they had!

11. fran-MLs little camera

As long as it doesn't reach the Dental News.

Saint Helen likes this.
  12. Tommomo

Tommomo Well-Known Member

I may be a tad late but i dont really care. On the 4th of January we've marked the 30 year anniversary of the death of Phil Lynott who was the bassist, vocalist and song writer for Thin Lizzy. They weren't garage band by any means but they never reached the level of recognition they deserved for their impact and legacy on the music scene.. So I'll pop on a couple of their greatest tracks for memories sake.

13. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Saw Thin Lizzy at Southampton Gaumont, some time in the late 70s. Cracking live act. Supported by Irish punk outfit The Radiators From Outer Space if memory serves (which it often doesn't). RIP Phil; are the rest of them still alive?

14. Le Tissier's Laces

I still love this -

davecg69 likes this.
  15. davecg69

Saw them at Totton College in 1969/70 support for "Arrival" (whatever happened to them). They were brilliant (I think they'd just released "Shades of a Blue Orphanage" and were yet to release "Whisky in the Jar". They were superb (blew "Arrival" off the stage) and we agreed then they might make it big one day :emoticon-0100-smile

Eric Bell of the original line-up is still with us (and touring - I'm going to see him as part of the "Gathering for Gary" in Brighton the weekend of April 4. This is a gathering of Gary Moore fans - for those of you who may not know, Gary was a later member of Thin Lizzy - to celebrate his birthday and remember him)

16. davecg69

One of my favourite albums - excellent stuff!!

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  17. Le Tissier's Laces

I'm seethingly jealous of those of you who got to see Thin Lizzy in their proper incarnation.

Gary Moore used to live in Brighton and occasionally did a secret gig up at a pub in Kemp Town. I managed to sneak into one once - it was quite astonishing.

EDIT - just saw you mentioning this show in Brighton Dave - we should grab a beer!

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

19. fran-MLs little camera

That's a massive crane. Reportedly only one dead....if true...a miracle.

20. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

I saw them at The Dolphin in Botley around the same time I think. They were unknown to me at that time and to be truthful, I can't say I remember much about it, but they must have made an impression because I couldn't tell you what other pub bands I'd seen from that era.

And talking about Earth Wind and Fire above, I saw them at the Gaumont sometime in the early 70's. They were supporting the great Carlos Santana and it was Carlos I had gone to see, but I remember during EW&F's set the drummer did a solo and as he played his drum kit rose off the stage and then started to rotate while he carried on playing strapped into his seat.
    Kid's today, I tell ya, they don't know what they missed in the 70's

davecg69 likes this.