1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Which one?

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Civil War. The one at the cinema.

3. TheSecondStain

Oh OK. I could watch the first two, if I wanted to. Any good?

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

First one is ok. Second one is a good though. But Marvel seem to know how to build up their super hero films unlike DC.

5. TheSecondStain

Yes, I've noticed that. What they've managed to do with the X-Men is cinema gold.

6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

My wife and I stayed at the Premier Inn, at Gatwick North Terminal, Wednesday night. We arrived after 7pm, to a very cold room, put the heating on and went downstairs for a drink. An hour later we returned to the room to find it still cold.
    As we'd had a long day, didn't want to cause a fuss, we just hopped into bed to warm up.
    Next morning, when checking out, we mentioned the heating not working and were surprisingly offered our money back, which we accepted.
    When walking down the road, I glanced back at the hotel and discovered why the room had been so cold. The external wall was missing!! Have contacted their head office for a comment.

image.jpeg

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  7. TheSecondStain

They must have been working very quietly. ;)

San Tejón likes this.
  8. San Tejón

And very early. Took the photo at 08.00.

9. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

10. TheSecondStain

High speed Bob Ross on a tile. ;)

11. TheSecondStain

Another film up. The Hateful Eight [2015]. Old Tarantino does keep churning out these formulaic stories. It's yet another blood fest, this time set in a post US Civil War period with characters having grievances on both sides. The actors talk in short monologues, as per usual. They all claim to have thought their scenarios through up until their point where it goes wrong for them, and then they get killed in some fashion. Yet it is mildly entertaining in a way. The story is artificially convoluted and I won't bother to go into it here. Suffice to say that the time-line is buggered about with to add suspense. Also, as per usual, QT manages to get everyone to cross the line of PC repeatedly, but they do it politely as usual. And then there's the running joke with the door which wears thin very quickly. There are one or two points of interest. Kurt Russell gives a performance crossed between his character Jack Burton in Big Trouble in Little China and full blown John Wayne. It's memorable and probably the most entertaining thing, and you almost wish he was there a little more. Samuel L Jackson does his usual great vengeance stint in a QT film, as does Tim Roth do his turn. The rest of the cast play their supporting roles, with Bruce Dern putting in a cameo with a couple of other QT regulars scattered around. I have to admit I almost expected uncredited walk-ons from Harvey Keitel, Bruce Willis and John Travolta, but we were spared.

Is it a good film? Not really. Yes it is nicely shot and some of the acting is fine, but it's just Tarantino appealing to his select audience again and raking in the dollars. I found it sickly sweet and just plain sickly in turns, yet I still enjoyed Kurt Russell's swagger. He's about the only one who can do that these days and get away with it. That's a thin reason to watch a QT film though. There's only so many times you can kill people in a slightly tongue-in-cheek fashion.

One bit of trivia: Gang leader, Jennifer Jason Leigh finger picks a guitar and sings a song. Reports are, from the time of the film shoot, that guitar makers Martin provided an actual antique acoustic from the period. In the scene, Kurt Russell snatches it out of Leigh's hands and smashes it to splinters against a room stanchion. During a break in the shot a substitute guitar was meant to be used for smashing but this never happened and the antique broke into little pieces. At the time I believed it after seeing trailers, but on seeing the film it feels like that news was a publicity stunt. That's the effect the film has. It's layered without having any depth. See it if you're curious.

12. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

13. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Very sad that :(

14. San Tejón

I used to know a Chilean guy who does finger painting. He was every bit as accomplished and quick as the guy in the film, and always attracted a crowd in the Spanish markets. I used to chat about football, with his brother in law, who hailed from that exotic, footballing outpost of Wolverhampton.

15. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Tremendous series and brilliantly acted.

16. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Tarantino deserves imprisonment for allowing a priceless antique Martin to be destroyed. I shan't bother watching that, thanks for the warning TSS!

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Yep, I hated it as well. Basically Pulp Fiction with cowboys and bad acting. Pulp Fiction is a classic were as Hateful 8 won't be remembered for too long.

19. It’s Only A Game

It’s Only A Game Well-Known Member

Well I liked it.

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member