1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The Goodhand Arms

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

You are being pedantic. Yes I shouldn't have used all, but how come other people got what I ment apart from you? You know I mean the people that go into schemes here and abroad to pay less or no tax. People like Branson who won't spend more then 90 days on British soil so he doesn't pay tax. But by all means carry on.

2. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

If bees are so important (and I agree they are; I'm planning to keep them once the kids have left) then that's exactly why they deserve a scientific response. And here's why. Nicotinoids have been banned EU wide. Let's say that next summer the bee population recovers somewhat. Is that due to the nicotinoid ban or because the weather was just so? Or, coincidentally, has something else that was killing the bees had a bad year? Or..... ad infinitum

With a proper randomised study with controls, there'd be evidence of whether it was the removal of nicotinoids that made things better, whereas whatever happens over the next year or two will, now, potentially tell us absolutely nothing. So it could take us a great deal longer to find out the truth because of well-meaning but scientifically illiterate politicians.

Vin

3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In the entire first half of the Bundesliga season, Bayern Munich conceded 4 goals (17 games). They've conceded 4 in 75 minutes tonight.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

And let Dost score 2....

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Don't worry Vin. I get your point. I'm just suggesting that environmental agencies just decided that a sledge hammer approach was the most effective, simply because they don't quite know. They knew enough that doing nothing was not the way to go.
    Yes, a more scientific approach is certainly the way to go forward, and let's hope that bees recover so that that approach can be adopted

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Just seen an advert for NFL International Series tickets on Channel 4, complete with Tinnie Tempah (who did the pre-match show for the Vikings - Steelers game last year)

That makes me happy :D

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I agree with this. As a lifelong adherent of the scientific method, I do think that sometimes you need to act intuitively when a short-term fix is required. When 37 million bees die on a single farm using neonicotinoid insecticides that in itself rings alarm bells loud enough to prompt urgent global action, and a total ban was an appropriate response, even without a full investigation. Before that ban gets overturned, yes, careful scientific studies need to happen.

8. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Off to Roots Hall for Saturday afternoon football. Then the Saints game, then next Thursday I have a date set with a Dutchman.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You interviewing Ron? Fantastic!

10. fatletiss

Vin - I am planning on keeping need too. How old are the kids and why are you waiting? My wife said the same thing but at the bottom of our garden they should be ok and not a problem for the kids (unless you were moving the hive in to their bedrooms :))

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31042477
    A report about sub-dermal chips being used instead of cards to gain entry to offices and equipment. Has been available for some time and was always going to happen, but I would rather someone stole my security pass than my hand....suspect I watch too many crime shows :).

12. Onionman

The problem is that this isn't happening in isolation.

Banning pesticides will have an effect on crop yields. That will have a knock on effect on food prices for 500 million people in Europe. If it puts up, say, the price of vegetables, people will eat fewer and more people will die. That would be quite a price to pay for a hunch. Equally, the balance might run in the other direction, where if nicotinoids are killing enough bees to affect yields there might be a drop in prices by banning them.

Either way, the effects are so significant that you need good, controlled, scientific evidence. The way it's been done there will be no way of knowing whether the ban is effective or what the effect has been on overall human health. The setup could have been a ban in 95% of the EU so there were control areas, but 100% was madness, IMO.

Vin

13. Onionman

It's a matter of time. I'm growing my business at a breakneck speed and spending as much time as I can with the kids (13/14) before they forget who we are so I need a new hobby like I need kidney stones.

Vin

14. fatletiss

Oh ok. I was wondering if there was some bees/kids safety thing.

15. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Indeed. I've been invited along to Staplewood for the pre-QPR press conference with Koeman and a player.

16. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

That's really great DTLW. Your hard work, enthusiasm and persistence is really paying off. Great to see.

17. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Nice, have fun. Try and get some info out of him.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Gary Lineker not happy about The Sun's front page. The Sun claim he owes £1.3m in tax, as he invested in a tax break scheme.

19. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

When they twig and ask, 'ere, didn't we have Jose walk you round the place a couple of months back..? you need to say something pithy or deny everything.

Going to take Fran this time..? :emoticon-0136-giggl