1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Krul to return?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by G4rdToonArmy, Jan 17, 2017.

1. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...e-transfers-ajax-considering-sending-12465456

Apparently can't make it past Ajax's young goalkeeper so they are considering sending him back early from his season long loan.

Interesting that the goalkeeper poll's in the Chron are very mixed between Darlow, Elliot and Krul.

Would he walk back into the team and which keeper (Sels/Darlow loans for me) do you think would leave?

2. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I want to give him time but Sels feels like a mistake and did so when we signed a 4th keeper anyway. He needed to be very good to justify getting him when we already had 'adequate' keepers. He and Murphy were the two signings i really questioned in the summer, Murphy is hopefully going to prove me wrong now he's being given a chance.

Obi Wan likes this.
  3. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Agree with that.
    It felt like Krul's loan was merely a step towards a permanent move, which I guess is why we bought Sels. But if Krul is now out of favour at Ajax then we have to make a decision. At least one of the 4 needs to be loaned out or sold or it will cause issues in the dressing room.
    As for Murphy, I was also a surprised at that signing but hopefully he'll prove very useful.

4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I like Krul, he seems a very decent fella. He is an excellent shot stopper.

He will never cut it under Rafa though. It would need a serious revamp of his game. He likes to kick long and just isn't comfortable playing the modern sweeper keeper type role.

Wherever Rafa has been he has preferred that, hence he took Reina to Napoli and Liverpool. He has Cech at Chelsea. Cesar at Inter. Canizares at Valencia. Navas at Real.

He just likes footballing keepers. Many managers prefer it.

5. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

All of the keepers you've mentioned were leagues ahead of any of our keepers.

I get that Rafa has a style of keeper and i suspect you may be correct with Krul not being his type but if he was a world class shot stopper it would be hard to argue with him coming back. We've got a bunch of average keepers and my personal favorite is probably Elliot. There's not much in it though.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I agree we have an average bunch. Personally I don't rate Krul as a world class shot stopper but that is all opinion. I do think he is a very good shot stopper.

I just think its foolhardy to ignore what Rafa likes. Personally I prefer to play out so Krul is not for me either. Elliot and Darlow are my preferred choices. Both are decent with their feet and have similar all round ability, both being prone to the odd clanger misjudging crosses. Sels I am willing to be patient. He is young in keeping terms. He has a great build for a keeper, and looks decent at times. What surprised me is he is not a Rafa type wholly either. He is ok with his feet but no more. I think all of our keepers are adequate for this level. They could do a job in the PL but I'm not convinced we have a long term answer in our squad. That said, where are we aiming? We're not even out of this league yet.

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I remember his debut in Palermo.

8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

To be fair to Darlow, I think he has done well and should be considered our 1st choice. By a mile!

9. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Well that knocks the Alzheimer's personal injury claim on the head then!!!

<doh>

10. TheSecondComing

Krul is a pretty good shot stopper, perhaps the best of our keepers, but his game has regressed badly since he had kids.

There's no stand out between Sels, Elliot, Darlow, although I like the former because I think he's relaxed when he's on form and looks the most like a top keeper. Our best defensive period came under Sels.
    Darlow pulls off good saves on occasion, but he provides the defence with no confidence or calm, and we have conceded consistently with him in nets. Not all his fault, but it's a marked contrast from Sels' cool style.
    Rob is alright, a good back-up.

Anyway, who cares? When we swap positions with Sunderland we can just nab Defoe and Pickford <laugh>

J. J. McClure and Obi Wan like this.

11. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Can we get Arnold back from them too? Always good to have cover for left back and I think he's their 2nd top scorer this season?

12. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

Just sell him. Time everyone moved on.

13. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

He needs a few cycles of tren

14. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

There is no doubting Krul's ability and having been with us since he was 17, he must feel strangely torn.

A Dutch international and a damn fine 'keeper, I think he was sent out on loan to fully recover from his long-term injury by playing regular football in his native Netherlands.

If he's not playing, then his loan out there is pointless and we should get him back here to add weight to our GK options.

15. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

16. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Never really rates lurk from outsiders viewpoint. Decent shot stopper but has simple errors in him and on the ball he's worse than Mignolet which says something!

think like us you have no standout keeper just a couple that are of similar level which can go one of two ways.

Might mean you end up swapping a lot and not getting any consistency which won't help backbone, or they know none are safe and they all push each other on in knowledge that man behind in pecking order is hot on heels to replace.

Think whats said above is right though, Rafa loves a keeper that uses his feet as much as his hands.

17. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

A great keeper for Liverpool would make a massive difference. You are right. We don't really have a first choice which I think you need in Goal. Elliot is our best keeper in my view

18. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good goalkeepers in Premiership are few and far between. Don't know why we didnt persevere with Fraser Forster. He is probably best of the lot now.

J. J. McClure likes this.