1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Last season's buys

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Consett Mag, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm not daft enough to think the major overhaul required will happen. I can only recall two seasons when what has needed to happen has happened under Ashley. Strangely enough they have been the last two seasons.

Last season was understandable as he needed PL football for his asset. And it was quite easy to pay for by selling off Sissoko, Janmaat, Gini, Townsend, Cisse, Cabella - that's a serious chunk of cash - circa 85m. This probably explains also the willingness to pay the big bucks for Rafa.

The season before is less clearcut as he gave McClaren a sizeable budget compared to others. There is no real explanation for this unless we are looking at years of austerity. But why then spend it at all, he could have just kept it. I suppose you could say he knew it was going to be a competitive season and we were well short.

I wish I had your faith Jonjomort in the players we have now. I just don't see it. I think you underestimate the gulf between 7th and 17th though. 7th-13th you are talking about clubs like Everton, Southampton, Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, West Brom, Stoke. Long established PL clubs with the exception of Bournemouth. Perhaps not Leicester but I do think they've moved on a bit. I'm not sure our squad can compete with them on just a bit of fiddling with the squad. I accept however that bottom bracket of 14th-20th is extremely tight every year. That is where I'd see our squad if we don't get some serious business done.

Forget Everton and Southampton to a certain degree. We won't be making that kind of jump regardless of transfers. They have a plethora of youngsters and great systems to back up their squad.

We will see but my expectations are extremely low. Not being negative, just realistic in my eyes. I also don't have the faith in Rafa that others have after seeing him in action last season. It was pretty average stuff in my eyes.

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Yeah pretty much. I think they maybe have less quality but more fight. That could see them escape but I don't think there much doubt in my mind we would definitely be in that scrap.

3. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Surprise!!

4. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Personally, I think we'll have about 4 first team players in and a couple of squad players with further spend in Jan.

Even if we do, I think we'll finish in the 12-17th group. Which, personally, will do for me for next season and then build on that thereafter.

At least now, I think there will be some form of longer term planning in place - assuming we can hang on to Benitez of course

magpie290761 and haslam like this.
  5. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

It's early days still. We will be spending plenty and getting in at least a half a dozen good players. IMHO like.

Rafa will have the funds to build a team capable of 10th/11th because that's what he would have demanded in his talks with Ashley. Also IMHO like.

Convincing good players to come to a newly promoted team 250 miles from London is a different matter of course. Not my opinon; as Rafa says, "it's a fact".

6. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

My opinion is that we have a squad that's better than the one that went down. We have Ritchie for Townsend but are short of the home games class of Wini - he was average at best away from home.
    Up front we'll have more goals with Gayle.
    In my view our defence is a notch up - in Clark and a maturing Lascelles, with a keeper who will perform better than our relegation side's keeper did.

I think (theoretically) that the current squad, managed by Rafa, with some luck would stay up.

Obviously there'll be major incomings to aim a little bit higher than that.

7. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

This 100%

I was thinking 4-5 players of whom a couple are more back-up than first team. Only 3 or 4 first teamers I suspect.

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Thing is we say now, with that glimmer of hope sparkling in everyone's eyes, that we'd "take" 17th. That's gonna be painful.

I'd like to see us bring in a few players who will give people a game. This sounds odd but I'd rather have a season of gung ho nonsense and go down than plod along trying to get to 40 points with our "tried and tested" 6 at the back. At least if you have a vibrancy about your play it gets the crowd going and in cups you have that "on our day, we can have a go at anyone" mentality. If it's 38 games of Karanka's "clean sheet will do it", then God help us all.

9. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Everyone is assuming new signings will be first teamers or squad men but of course last season Rafa rotated in some positions between two players of similar quality if maybe different style I.e. Anita/Yedlin Diame/Perez. Maybe the squad signings will be better than we have seen in the past and can be PL quality albeit on a rotated basis at least to start with particularly foreign players. I expect us to sign ten after Atsu

10. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

hmmm, for some reason I omitted Hayden and Diame from that list!!!

Hayden - 8/10, we looked absolutely awesome when he was on form as DM, and badly missed him when we got injured and Colback was made to play there, form picked up again as soon as he came back into the team. Definitely a potential Prem starter if he can keep fit and maintain his form.
    Diame - 4/10, so bloody frustrating! Could absolutely dominate midfield on his day, but generally just lolloped around and misplaced passes. Played out of position a lot, but really underachieved whatever. Could be Prem quality if he smartens up, but I'd rather offload.