1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic League 2 Promotion Finances

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Yes that buffoon Gullible the geezer who was running it and getting the brown envelopes and that other shark Risdale was involved at some point i believe..

All in the shake hand gang and brown envelopes.. that is hoe these people operate.. The government want to look into all these dodgy deals not their tax returns..
    These administration firms are all corrupt, they do the best deal for them selves and who ever offers the highest enevelope :emoticon-0102-bigsm

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It could be a good little sideline....producing brown envelopes Joe.....sounds a good business......:rolleyes:.

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Heaney thing wasn't really the main point notdistant but was convenient for you I'll grant. The point is that like Heaney the Development man I give you Brent the Development man. In those terms they are no different and the prime concern was.........roll on drums for effect.........yes you got it, Development. In Brent's case it was for far more than just Home Park and you cannot tell me he didn't use the club as his access to the City. Without that aspect despite his bullshit spouted you would not have seen him anywhere near football. He hasn't gone bankrupt but he hasn't developed anything either. Just promised he would whilst acquiring land. Apart from acquiring land, and I stand by he will acquire more in the way of it by buying the freehold of the ground, he has done absolutely nothing for the football side of Argyle. We sank to league 2 and it looks like we are set to remain there once more. Why because of the lack of resources. Why oh why do you people think that all these business people can do no wrong? Is it because they are rich and therefore we the surfs should look up to them. Sorry but the days of the Empire have long gone.

You didn't bother to answer the point about alternative investors being out there. If you think that isn't true then you must also think Brent is lying when he says he gets offers regularly. You also must think that the Administrators were perfect in what they did and there wasn't anything wrong with what they did or didn't do. Do you remember the recent stuff that came out about thier work and charges? Do you remember there not being any alternative to Heaney? Do you remember there suddenly being a plan B when one definately couldn't be found? But lets just concentrate on Heaney because that's about the only thing that you can pick on. I repeat, we all doffed our caps to the old board and look where that got us. I have seen absolutely nothing from Brent to show me he has anything Argyle at heart or that he is prepared to do anything for my club. I will therefore give him no credit for his own personal gain until I actually see something positive and concrete which isn't just for him. He WILL lose his audience if he continues to treat the club and supporters in this way.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Yes if you see people buying the brown ones .. guess what? White are the most popular among normal people and brown ones for the other ones :eek:?

Wonder what colour Sensible has? :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:..

5. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible, i think Brent was friendly with that person on the council ms Pengully the one who went on a trip to south africa with other people who were ripping us off at the time.regarding the world cup bid?

Wonder what happened to the Japs, gardener and toad? :emoticon-0146-punch:emoticon-0146-punch:emoticon-0172-mooni

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not suggesting Brent is doing or has done anything illegal Joe. What I object to is that all he is doing is for himself an nothing for the football club he so stoutly told us was his civic duty to preserve. Plymouth deserves a successful football club I believe is what he spouted and that he was that man to produce it. I'd just love to know when he is going to start then. All that crap about there being nobody out there and now the tales of would be suitors lining up every week. None of them suitable of course. I mean Brent hasn't maximised his profit margin yet has he. When he has stitched up every possible pound there is to stitch up I'll bet he will flog it off for as much as he can get out of it. That will be his suitability criteria and not who is best to serve the football club and City.

7. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I obviously think you are wrong Sensible but you seem to have convinced yourself that your version of events and JB's motives are actually true? Unless you have suddenly bought a share of the club (I doubt JB would let you anyway) I am not sure where you are getting your facts from....Personally, I don't think that this supposed large number of investors really exists- it is more likely that they are a mixture of nutters, chancers, crooks and some who believe they can run things better but don't have enough cash to persuade the owner to sell. One thing I did learn with my dealings with the club is that whilst JB and Tony Wrathall own the shares, the other directors (non exec included) were all brought in because they had some specific skill /background to provide the required expertise. i.e. marketing man, stadium development etc. Before you jump up and down with indignation I will agree that they don't appear to have made a significant difference. I suspect though that JB is satisfied that he has a well balanced off pitch team so is reluctant to add to it.
    I don't know the budget, but believe it to be in the top third in the league, so one might argue we have overachieved. Not going to go over the whole JB thing again but I don't believe that he would go to virtually every game home and away unless he had become a genuine 'fan' . Equally, I think he would sell if he had an offer that would genuinely take the club forward.
    The dramatic slide down from the top has little to do with the finances but more to do with the attitude of the players and the manager's methods.

Only time will tell, both for the rest of this season and the longer term future of the club but I think you are venting your spleen in the wrong direction.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Until I see otherwise I do think my version of events is true lyndhurst and can no more prove them than you can your version. I have yet to see one thing promised by Brent materialise. Can you name one? Apart from he isn't going to put in any money or course. That is one thing he has kept his word on. Our squad was paper thin at the start and continued to be paper thin throughout. Nothing was done to paper over that and the lack of players as cover eventually scuppered the season. Ok it isn't over yet but it soon will be. If you don't believe the investors exist then Brent must be making them up because it was him who said they did. You have no idea who they are or what resources they have and are therefore doing what you accuse me of doing. Making them up to suit your argument of support. I gave up painting things if it didn't move long ago and saluting it if it did. If our budget is in the top third how have we overachieved by the way? Accrington's must be at the bottom with their turnover. That's overachieving.

9. lyndhurstgreen

Oh come on Sensible we have been arguing this for ever, budget and turnover are not necessarily related. Accrington are bankrolled by a local millionaire fan (something we don't appear to have) who compensates for the pitiful fanbase so your point doesn't make sense.
    As far as Brent not delivering on his 'promises', it is a fundamental project management principal that projects are managed and funded in discreet stages and that they remain justifiable and affordable at every stage (rather than funding the entire project and producing something that in the end is not justifiable) . The initial stage of the HHP development (design, planning and feasibility) will certainly have incurred costs and but for whatever reason it was decided not to continue to the next stage as it was obviously deemed unaffordable or unjustified-this actually good management, not bad.
    JB said that he gets lots of approaches from potential investors, this is a long way from there being being a lot of credible investors out there who would pass 'due diligence'.
    So we are absolutely no further on wrt the merits of Mr Brent...only time will tell.

ps dont think I ever painted anything in the RN, I had a chap to do that for me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I agree with what you say Lyndhurst for the very simple reason that what you say about development projects is factually correct in every respect. Every time I go to the ground and see the bomb site that used to be the Mayflower stand and the tin sheds in the southern corners of the ground I wish it wasn't true, but it is.

Ploughing on with projects without constantly checking they remain viable is business suicide and even if Brent tried to take that course, those that were asked to finance the project would do their own sums and decline the opportunity. Here's another fact that many don't seem to take on board: virtually all development projects are funded behind the scenes by banks providing project specific loans. That means that people like Brent don't have the final say if the lenders don't like the project or the banks have decided just not to lend to anyone at all, as they did for quite a while after the bank crash of 2008/09.

As regards the investors supposedly interested in the club, it was clearly stated that none were considered "appropriate". Now depending on your viewpoint, that can either be interpreted in the way it was put i.e. "not beneficial for the club" or personalise it as "not beneficial for James Brent", A warning: given the property development potential, the more someone's willing to pay, the less it's likely they are actually interested in the football club which is still not much more than a liability.

11. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

James Brent said from the beginning that PAFC would live within it's budget allowance.....this of course included paying back our debts.....it was never on the cards that Brent would bankroll any spending above and beyond that.

James Brent might be rich compared with most of us (I don't include Joe in that statement :rolleyes:) , but I have no doubt that cash in the bank or in reserve is very limited......and he cannot bankroll any spending beyond what the Club produces through the turnstiles or by selling players.

His proposed projects that we know about....ie....the Grandstand, development of various ventures around Plymouth & Torquay have been floundering to put it bluntly.....and he has taken a lot of stick over his failure to get these projects off the ground.....we do know some of his development around Plymouth have been overshadowed by other developments that Plymouth Council have given the green light to ....you do wonder how the relationship between PCC and Brent is at the moment....a little frosty would be possibly correct.....all these hiccups certainly interrupt the flow of financial profit for Mr Brent's group of Akkeron companies.

Administration was a dire blow to overcome and the possibility that PAFC nearly disappearing was very real.....James Brent's approach to that happening again means a tight rein on living within our budget is the way forward.....many see that approach as being measly by the owner and will mean we could fail in getting promoted....that might happen.....and if it does then James Brent will be blamed by many....not the manager,not the players.not injuries,not bad luck....but Brent because he hasn't thrown money that he hasn't got at the the problem.

12. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Nail on the head Plymborn, these players can do it because they did it earlier in the season. The fact they aren't now isn't Brent's fault.

13. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

""The most important thing for me is that the fans concentrate on enjoying the football and don't worry about the finances."

Hahaha... That's what we did at Portsmouth and look what happened there.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Plym, i have had to work for my money.. unlike Brent.. i have never had a bung or needed to give any... or never will..

If i never had to pay Georges uni accommodation and fees i could have had a new car.. Seriously,. i have no idea what Brent has or what he said he will do.. I just know from people in the know that the projects he is involved in won't be happening soon.. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Why are we talking about this crap again.. it will be forgotten in a few weeks when we get promoted..

It makes no difference how much nay has or does not have.. we need to go UP..:emoticon-0164-cash:

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

His relationship with PCC is somewhere north of frosty I would suggest. Why would that be then given the more than welcome mat put out initially. Because the bloke has never completed on anything he signed up for. They have him sussed now. Lets not blame PCC for the grandstand not being built either. Blame the bloke who failed to get it off the ground and then tried to shift the blame for being far too slow onto others. The reason a cinema was agreed for Bretonside was because those people would actually build one and Brent wouldn't.

You are both guessing about Brent as much as I am. You have no more evidence to support your argument than I do. I think you are swayed lyndhurst by the fact that you've met him and he comes across as charming. I mean how can the mild manner bespectacled one be this manipulative fiend. He talks so sincerely. I choose to not trust the man. I have seen nothing so far to convince me he is out for anything other than himself and when he has all he can get he won't sell Argyle down the swany and run. If you are right and he is this wonderful bloke then all is well with the world. If I am then we won't be having conversations after the event because the club won't exist. Thing is I don't actually want to be right with this so there is no point proving and would not be any gloating if I was.

Ps. You didn't enter as a Fleet Chief lyndhurst and every scabby sailor painted something at least once before getting somebody else to paint it for them. Even me and I never did anything manual work wise. All I ever had was soft hands and shiny trousers.

16. lyndhurstgreen

I was never a scabby sailor, joined the RN as a tiff (artificer) spent the first fours years doing my apprenticeship and other training before joining my first ship as a leading hand and was a senior rate two years later. The 4 years training was like being at public school and we definitely didn't do any painting!

17. Greenarmyjoe

Bet you do painting now your retired? :emoticon-0139-bow:

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

6 years to become a senior rating? Funnily enough that's how long it took me. How spooky is that. I don't count my junior time as the RN didn't and I couldn't have been promoted whatever I did. I did paint once though and you don't know what you missed.

19. lyndhurstgreen

Yes, all day every day, though doing it slowly because Mrs Lyndhurst has decided that once I have redecorated from top to bottom, replaced the facias, drainpipes and repainted the front, and laid 3 new patios out the back I should go back to work as it is not fair for her to work full time at the hospital and for me to be at home all day enjoying myself....... Reckon that lot will take a good 6 months!

20. Greenarmyjoe

Lyndy, that will take years.. not 6 months.. As you may encounter problems when you tackle these jobs? Make it last.. Buy saying that it may be easier to go back to work :emoticon-0102-bigsm